Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Opti-coat 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Ak48z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti-coat 2.0

Anybody ever try this on their Z? Ran across it a while back and have been reading up on it, seems like pretty cool stuff.

Supposed to be a permanent clear-coat like finish on top of your freshly polished factory clear.

Your prep job has to be perfect, as this stuff will seal in any defects, and you will have to polish through this down into the actual clear to fix. (which is hard to tell when you are through the Opti-Coat and when you have hit the factory clear)
Old 03-11-2012, 04:23 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard about Opti-Coat never seen a car in person that had it applied.
I'm a bit leery about permanent sealers that are supposed to have magical/space age
properties.It seems that every car guy I know has that "special" polish or procedure they use.At least,I do...
Furthermore,I keep my car garaged.I really can't imagine the finish looking any better than it is.Also,from what I've read about Opti-Coat,its time consuming to use.But when its done,its very permanent.
I'm a car guy,I like to work on my Z.Maybe this type of product is just a sign of the times.People are just too busy to work on their cars.They want the no maintenance
way out instead of having fun and accomplishment working on their car.
I have a hunch you text alot...

Last edited by JCITY; 03-11-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Ak48z

I agree with you, I like to work on my car as well, I was really just wanted personal opinions on it. It has a wide variety of uses, mostly I am interested in just doing my wheels. It would make cleaning a breeze.

But it could also be used on your family/spouse cars who don't like to spend the needed time to upkeep their cars.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Diesel350

I used Opti- Coat on my Lexus and to be honest the shine wasn't any different than using other sealants that were not semi-permanent. Opti-coat will probably last at least a year or 2 on your car without you having to polish it again.

I feel like some people may love this product and others may not care for it at all.

This product is not for you if:
You like the idea of waxing and polishing your car ever 1/2/3 months.
You love the smell of the wax on your car.
You are after the best possible shine via Carnauba wax.
If you have not properly prepped your paint meaning clay barred and polished with a proper pad and Porter cable to remove all imperfections from your paint.

This product is for you if:
You live in very hot climates and don't like the idea of your sealant not lasting long enough and you don't like waxing your car in 100 degree weather.
You don't like to or have the time to be waxing your car ever 1/2/3 months.
You like having permanent protection for your paint last at least a year.
You want to add microns of clear coat to your paint.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Did you notice the degradation of the shine throughout the it's life span?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Ak48z

From what I read it is supposed to last a lot longer than 1 year... but if you need to re-apply you just scuff with a finishing polish then do another coat of Opti-Coat. You can actually put another layer of sealant or carnuba on top of this, but it won't last as long as it usually does because the Opti-Coat won't let it adhere as good as it does normally.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Did you notice the degradation of the shine throughout the it's life span?
I don't know. I ended up selling the car but in the few months I had the Opti-Coat I would keep an optimal shine by spraying Quick detail wax on the car after every wash.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by Ak48z
From what I read it is supposed to last a lot longer than 1 year... but if you need to re-apply you just scuff with a finishing polish then do another coat of Opti-Coat. You can actually put another layer of sealant or carnuba on top of this, but it won't last as long as it usually does because the Opti-Coat won't let it adhere as good as it does normally.
They claim it's permanent but from the long term tests I've seen you'll get a minimum of a yrs protection out of it.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Ak48z

Yea I knew it wasn't permanent but I read it should last up to 4-5 years. I think I may try it out on my wheels sometime.