Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Inportant Note For "ABC Users

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Brad4rdHay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Inportant Note For "ABC Users

If you read Detailing Sessions 3, you know that there is another way to clean the surface of the car besides clay, and thst the "ABC" system. Well, I used it on my car the other day (instructed dealer not to touch the car), and got awesome results. BUT, Nissan uses a perticular plastic for the connecting peice for the mirror (I.E., the black triangular peice between the side mirror and body), and after using the ABC system, it stained the black plastic grey. This is't a huge deal, and I have heard of this before, but never experienced it. I am contacting their chemist andasking him about it. Right now, before you "ABC" the car, cover those peices with some of the sticky clear tape you can use for boxes before washing. If you do happen to stain the peices, dont worry as you can fix it easily with some trim dye (like $5) Just felt I needed to let you guys know about this. Other than that, the car turned out perfect!
Old 09-19-2002, 07:01 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad, thanks for the warning. Did it effect the grill? My ABC kit will be sitting a few more weeks according to my dealer......DAMN!

After re-reading your doctorate on washing, I have a question????? You don't mention using BlackFire wash. Is there a reason? I am planning on getting their New Car Kit which includes it. Should I give it to my brother & just use "C"?
Old 09-19-2002, 07:24 PM
jeffw

Can you buy the ABC system in quantities smaller than a gallon? It ends up being kind of expensive if you have to buy A, B, and C for a total of 3 gallons. Can you buy the ABC system places other than their main homepage?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-20-2002, 08:59 AM
mydogscool

Brad4rdhay

I ABC'ed my car already, and the exact same thing happened to me.

Where do I find the Trim dye you mentioned, and what brand do you reccomend?

Thanx
Old 09-20-2002, 09:08 AM
POWERZ

I'm also interested in trim dye. I have Jeep with the fender flares fading quickly. I have used products to restore the black color, but these are temporary solutions - like a week or two. Any info is much appreciated.
Thanks,
- POWERZ
Old 09-20-2002, 09:11 AM
POWERZ

Default answered my own question

here's a couple of links:

trim dye 2
Old 09-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Brad4rdHay

No, it's only the plastic for the mirrors, which appear to not be powder coated. I am calling AutoInt as we speak. I hated to post this because I don't want to scare people away from ABC. The reason its available in gallon sizes is because you use 16oz of the A and about 5-9oz of the B every time. It will last you very long though for just one car though. Id use the C wash over the BF wash.

Last edited by Brad4rdHay; 09-20-2002 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Brad4rdHay

Ok, heres the deal. I called Ron Ketcham, one of their head chemists there. He said thay have seen this before. Nissan either forgot or decided not to spray the part with a powder-coat, as it should be. He said that the ABC wash was designed for all the surfaces of a car, just not unprotected platic and rubber (such as here) He said to try cleaning it off with alcohol first. I tried that with a soft toothbrush and towel, and got about 50-60% of it out. I then re-applied some 303 dressing and it looked perfect. But when the 303 wears off in 3 weeks, it will return to its dark grey color.

He said that f that didn't work, he will send me some of thier plastic re-pair kit for free. I recomend that if you got this allready to buy that dye in the link earlier. That should fix it up perfect. Then just treat it like you nrmaly would, washing and dressing ect.

I plan on using ABC on the car again. I love the stuff. BUT when I do, Im gonna really cover the part with some clear tape, and be careful not to get the wash on that area. If you have the ABC wash, I wouldn't be afraid to use it like that.