Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Claying 101

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 10:31 AM
shemp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Claying 101

I tried to clay my Z a few days ago. I've never used this stuff ever before. I bought the Meguiars Quik Clay for about $10. Well, I first tested it on a small area on the hood. It worked pretty good. The surface ended up being smooth as glass but I also noticed that the clay bar made a few small hairline scratches!!
What did I do wrong? I followed the directions, sprayed a mist of the detailer spray and applied the clay bar over it. I guess I pressed too hard or something? I didn't think so.
If anyone has some tips let me know.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Ricky
Banned

Did you drop the clay at all?

Also after using it on one panel, you should fold it over and use a new side, so none of dirt it pulled off previously will scratch the paint.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:23 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You probably should have used a little auto shampoo and water as a libricant rather than detailing spray (I assume you mean like a quick detailing spray).

Did you wash the car real good first? It must be clean otherwise the clarbar will pickup the dirt and you'll be rubbing it all around your car.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:24 PM
mode101

I just purchased some Zaino clay bar. It says that it should be used with a lubricant. The only zaino products I bought was the clay bar. What else can I use as a lubricant besides the wash they recommend ? can i just use water?

thanks!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Kevin Overall

Plain water is not slick enough to use as a clay lube, the major compaines like Meguiars ALWAYS tells you to use their detailer spray as a clay lube, can you guess why? because it sells more detailer spray, LOL!!! when in fact you can use ANY kind of car wash (1/2 cap full in 16 ounces of water) to make a lube for ANY kind of clay bar..............................
Old 03-26-2004, 02:27 PM
havabooz

kevin...couple of questions...my car just got repainted (well almost all of it but not entirely)....the parts that didnt get painted were already washed with dish soap and have several coats of zaino on them...i never clayed those parts though..

since i basically have a brand new paintjob i wanted to start from scratch

the only question i have is about claying..after i was the car with dish soap and then again with z7 do i have to dry the car before i start claying or can i just rinse the z7 and start...and the biggest confusion i have is this...when i clay a spot and its done (meaning smooth) do i just rinse the part off and keep doing the rest of the car and then when its all done wash it with z7...or do i have to wash and dry each spot immediately after i clay it?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:37 PM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by havabooz
kevin...couple of questions...my car just got repainted (well almost all of it but not entirely)....the parts that didnt get painted were already washed with dish soap and have several coats of zaino on them...i never clayed those parts though..

since i basically have a brand new paintjob i wanted to start from scratch

the only question i have is about claying..after i was the car with dish soap and then again with z7 do i have to dry the car before i start claying or can i just rinse the z7 and start...and the biggest confusion i have is this...when i clay a spot and its done (meaning smooth) do i just rinse the part off and keep doing the rest of the car and then when its all done wash it with z7...or do i have to wash and dry each spot immediately after i clay it?
It doesn't take "water spots" long to form. They are certainly going to form in the time it takes you to clay. I have always dried the car after using Z7 and before claying.

Haven't read the instructions in a while, but believe you are doing a section at a time with a mixture of Z7 / water mix as your lube. Once that section is done and still wet with lube, just wipe and move on to the next section.

After the clay process is complete, do a Z7 wash, dry, Z6 and finally Z5 and Z2.
Attached Thumbnails Claying 101-z-pics-14-march-2004-007.jpg  
Old 03-26-2004, 07:18 PM
havabooz

thanks for the tip...there is a zaino rep in my area that sold me the polishes and car wash and instructed me how to do it...ill have him give me a little lesson just to make sure i dont screw it up