Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino ?Claybar TIP

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 05:03 AM
hugo1669

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino ?Claybar TIP

I went to claybar my car yesterday. When I went to get the claybar out of the plastic bag that I put it in last year it was completely stuck to the bag like glue. So a helpful hint, Don't put your used claybar in a plastic baggy over the winter.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:06 PM
hrohawg

Additional tip. Been there, done that. Try rolling the clay into a perfectly round ball then put it in a heavy zip lock freezer bag. As long as you don't mash it and cram it into the original clay container, it should come out OK when ready to re-uese.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Dustin4u

Is the claybar suppose to be hard like a rock (zaino)?
I just clayed my car for the first time and the clay was really hard.
I couldn't fold it/stretch it and it basically did nothing for me. Sure my car is a week old...but i may as well not have done it...
Old 04-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Kevin V

Never saw a bar of Zaino clay hard like a rock. Call Sal Zaino and ask about it, he may replace it if you recently purchased it. I quess if you leave it out it could dry up and harden.

I keep my claybars in the plastic jars that the clay comes in.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:46 PM
oso98

Question claybar

Originally posted by Kevin V
Never saw a bar of Zaino clay hard like a rock. Call Sal Zaino and ask about it, he may replace it if you recently purchased it. I quess if you leave it out it could dry up and harden.

I keep my claybars in the plastic jars that the clay comes in.
any tips on applying the claybar?

i still havent' taken mine out of the box,

just been using the wax.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:26 AM
hugo1669

Remember to use a lubricant like the wash with it. Don't DROP IT!!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 07:44 AM
touring

What's the difference in a zaino claybar and regular clay used in modeling, they sure look and smell the same?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:56 AM
b3n84

Can the Zaino claybars be reused? I was told to cut it in half, just to reduce waste if its ever dropped. After I claybar...I can just roll it up and save it for reuse? How many times can it be reused?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Kevin V

If you drop a claybar on the ground and continue to use it, you risk the possibility of any dirt that is embedded into it, from the ground, scratching the surface. I recommend taking an old towel and placing it on the ground below the area you are claying just in case you do drop it.

Claybars can be reused MANY times. Knead the clay alot to maintain a clean surface.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I too use half of a bar for each session (i.e. for the entire car). If it isn't too dirty you can use it again but I haven't done this. You get two bars in each jar so breaking them in half is 4 claying sessions. I have only done two so far in two years of owning the car.

When I use it, I spread it out like a small pancake and lube the heck out of the section I am working on. Make sure the surface of the car is cool! Don't clay on hot/warm paint. This makes a mess and makes it hard to remove the residue. Keep kneading the clay to bring a fresh surface to the top. If it gets really dirty or you drop it, use the other half!

I use Zaino Z-7 as lube. I mix about two capfuls into about 16 ounces of water and mix it all up in a small pump aerosol sprayer. I only do sections of about 3-4 square feet at a time. You just spray the surface and run the clay over the car like you would a small "Brillo" pad. Keep spraying enough so the clay slides EASILY over the paint. It almost feels like you aren't really doing anything. If you feel any resistance, squirt on some more lube.

After I do a small section, I spray it all off with a hose before I move on to the next section since I don't like it to dry onto the paint.

When you are all done, wash the car again with a bucketful of new Z-7 and water mix and rinse it off normally. I then hit it with the Zaino Z-6 mist. You then proceed normally (Z-5, Z-2 etc).