Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New Ultimate Detailing Process for Black Cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 05:30 PM
350zdanny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ultimate Detailing Process for Black Cars

I just bought some new pads and products and I wanted to share my experiences. Step by step:

Step 1: Wash car with Dawn to strip all the crap and wax off the car.

Step 2: Clay the car. If necessary. I just clayed 1 week ago so I skipped this step.

Step 3: Menzerna Intensive Polish with Orange Power Pad on PC 7424. I kept the PC on 3-4 setting and I had no splash and got great results. The intensive polish is a little hard to work with and dries a bit quick for my liking, but it produces much less compounding haze and physical mess than 3M Perfect It. I used a damp microfiber cloth to remove residue.

Step 4: Menzerna Final Polish II. Used a white polishing pad with the PC set on 4-5. This product is easier to apply and remove from the car, with the exception of the bumpers. For some reason, if the Final polish dries on the bumper it becomes very hard to remove. I used a damp microfiber towel to remove residue. At this point, make sure there is no compounding haze at all. There should have been very little after step 3 and absolutely none after this step.

Step 5: Menzerna Final Touch Glaze. I used the black pad with the PC set at around 4-5. This product works wonders. It goes on very easy and comes off even easier, with a dry microfiber cloth. It is not abrasive and does contain some fillers, but it leaves a mirror shine.

Step 6: Spot check the car for excess residue and remove with quick detailer and microfiber towel. I used Zaino Z6 with good success.

Step 7: Protect. Depending on how much time you have, determine what product you want to use. Last time I used P21s with great success. I always recommend Zaino if you have the time for 3 coats. But this time I used Menzerna FMJ. It is an extremely expensive sealant ($40/bottle), but the results are astounding. I put on 2 coats in about 45 mins and I am blown away with the clarity and feel of the car. It is comparable to many coats of Zaino with much less work, although I can't speak to the durability yet.

Step 8: Detail the trim with Black Again. By now you must have gotten a good amount of crap on the trim and Black Again dissolves this excess polish and wax and penetrates the trim, shining it up really nice.

Step 9: Tail pipes, under the side skirts, wheel wells, headlights and tail lights, tires, door jams, trunk and hood. I use Zaino for most of this, but there are a ton of great products for general purpose cleaning and shining the tires. I usually do this last because I just grab a dirty MF towel that is going to be washed anyway. Watch out for some of the splatter from compouding under the hood and trunk, and in the door jams. You don't want that stuff connecting to the paint because it's a ***** to get off later.

I will be posting pictures tomorrow, but suffice it to say, there is not a swirl or scratch visible on my car right now. I'm blown away. And it only took 9 hours. Questions, comments, and criticism welcome.

Dan
Old 07-09-2004, 05:49 PM
ronald_m

Danny,
Where in NJ you at?Im from old bridge.Maybe we could do some detailing party,lol.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:26 PM
350zdanny

I'm right in Sayreville.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:13 AM
2003z

I do similar, but menzerna intensive, final and then a few coats of zaino.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:29 PM
ronald_m

Originally posted by 350zdanny
I'm right in Sayreville.
Wow,Not far from my hood.Pm me your addy so i can check you out.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:22 PM
havabooz

will menzerna work by hand...dont wanna get a PC now but i do need to do some light polishing and menzerna is good cause you can go straight to zaino without any steps in between
Old 07-10-2004, 05:35 PM
ronald_m

Originally posted by havabooz
will menzerna work by hand...dont wanna get a PC now but i do need to do some light polishing and menzerna is good cause you can go straight to zaino without any steps in between
Menzerna works best with buffer, if you want to work by hand try 1Z product.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:29 PM
350zdanny

Everything works better with a buffer, but Menzerna Finishing Touch Gloss works pretty well by hand. It just takes alot of elbow grease.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:48 PM
nuttyprof

WOW> that is crazy. how often do you do this? In California, I have about 3 hours max of time when its not too hot and not too dark to detail my car. plus, you have to allow time for the brakes to cool. how do you find time to do this. crazy man. ill bet it looks sick!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:51 PM
s9am_me

so where's the pics?????