Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

I swear it's bug "droppings"

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:05 AM
NJZLady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I swear it's bug "droppings"

I know this sounds weird and I have never seen a post regarding my problem.

My silver baby has hundreds of small brown dots all over her. Roof, hood, glass, doors, wheels, door handles - EVERYWHERE. Since my patio furniture, house siding at the porch light and windows on the house have them too I swear it's bug droppings. I can't think of anything else it could possibly be. My co-workers tell me I'm nuts, but again I can find no other explaination. These brown dots are impossible to remove. Last year I had the car professionally detailed but they would not disclose what they used. Came out beautifully, but I'd rather not spend $200+ to do a job that I can do. (I also had to power wash the house and paint it. Thought this was a weird one time thing - - can't paint my house every year either!) Anyway, I tried the margarine idea (posted elsewhere here) because it's just about the only thing that I hadn't tried. Didn't work. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

NJZLady
Old 10-11-2004, 11:05 AM
SvR350z

I dont have an answer to your problem but I can say without a doubt that is the strangest thing ive ever heard of in my life.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:50 PM
desiZ

man i just posted a thread yesterday on the same topic, however my little brown liquidish dots came off with meguiars quik detail spray ... i used it within 6 hours of the drops appearing on my car .... here's my thread: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=94784
Old 10-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Kevin Overall

Its very, very common, my show car gets it all the time in my garage as it sits long periods of time. I am pretty sure it is bugs laying eggs on the surface, a clay bar will take them right off in seconds...
Old 10-13-2004, 07:57 AM
NJZLady

Originally posted by desiZ
man i just posted a thread yesterday on the same topic, however my little brown liquidish dots came off with meguiars quik detail spray ... i used it within 6 hours of the drops appearing on my car .... here's my thread: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=94784
DesiZ -

Yeah, I saw your post and wondered but thought that you were sure that it was fuel. I'll try the meguiars quik detail spray but the spots may have been sitting on the car too long at this point. (I've been trying different methods and asking around for a few weeks now.) I may have to have the baby detailed again and then be more proactive in the removal of the spots IMMEDIATELY.

If these things are eggs and not droppings, I can't imagine what kind of bug and how many eggs!!!!!! This is incredible. A friend in PA - eastern PA - reported the same exact thing!!! (Just to prove I'm not nuts here

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it works out.

NJZLady
Old 10-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Kevin Overall

It could also be sap of some kind, some trees, bushes, and shrubs put out some kind of sap or dots like you talk about, if you have ever parked near any kind of greenery that could be it also..
Old 10-13-2004, 10:46 AM
NJZLady

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
It could also be sap of some kind, some trees, bushes, and shrubs put out some kind of sap or dots like you talk about, if you have ever parked near any kind of greenery that could be it also..
That's what I thought at first too but it wouldn't explain why the spots are around by porch light (under a roof) and on the house windows. My patio is very much out in the open with no trees overhead. I guess the little buggers are attracted to the light. ?????

People at work think that it is sap or road tar or that I am trying to put one over on them. These are perfectly round, about 1/16" - maybe a bit more - and raised! I can pick them off with my fingernail and a small brown discoloration remains on the car. There are so many that I could never pick them off with my fingernails. We are talking maybe 200 - 300 on the hood alone. I tried a kitchen plastic spatula and that takes off most of the bump, but a lot remains.

Unbeleivable huh?

NJZLady
Old 10-14-2004, 10:00 AM
mrZeee

spatula.. ...save that for the kitchen...wash, clay, and a good coat of wax
Old 10-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Kevin Overall

Go out and buy a clay bar today, DO NOT scratch on the paint with your nails or anything else...
Old 10-14-2004, 01:13 PM
erock

Get it detailed (if you don't want to do it your self) and invest in a car cover.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:33 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My parents house in PA has them. I too have always wondered what they are. Like you said, they are everywhere.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:58 PM
NJZLady

Thanks guys for all of your help. Found out my husband took a razor scraper to the car just to "try it out"! I may have to do time in Atica over this although it will most likely be deemed justifiable.

Arrgg. UNBELIEVABLE THIS GUY!

Getting her detailed and hoping for the best at this point.

NJZLady
Old 10-14-2004, 07:16 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

i'm pretty sure it's sap. i get the same thing at my house when i park near certain trees. and in a parking lot last week RIGHT AFTER I DETAILED MY CAR FOR A SHOW i parked several feet away from a tree and still got the sap from it. argh. it comes off with a good wash though if u dont let it stay there too long. and it's easier to remove when your car is cool to the touch. good luck
Old 10-23-2004, 03:50 PM
NOBI

its a silver car thing, i get it too. my bet is that its outerspace aliens.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:41 PM
alankim11

i have the same problem my car is covered in little brown spots it wont come out even if i wash it
Old 10-28-2004, 04:13 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont get those spots. Maybe because I'm in NY hehe. Anyway I do worry about other **** getting on my car. So I got a custom fit(4layer)cover. Its still clean even after 2 weeks of not washing! Its been through rain,all kinds of stuff.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Strife350z

you know it could very well be bug droppings... as funny as it sounds, bugs DO have droppings... it's just hard to notice

anyway like the suggestions above, don't pay for a detailer... just clay bar the spots out, throw on some wax or CG and invest in a car cover
Old 11-05-2004, 12:32 PM
NJZLady

Yeah - the claybar is the way to go. Problem is these "spots" reappear (in sping summer and fall) within a few days. I would be repeating with the claybar that often!!!!! I've had this problem in the past, but never anywhere near to this degree. And interesting, it began about 4 years ago and gets worse every year. Can't understand why everyone in my town/area doesn't have the same problem!!! SO WEIRD
Old 11-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Strife350z

are you in a rural area of jersey... say, near a forest of some sort?

either way, check your garage for insects... especially spiders and so forth in the nooks and crannies

you might also want to examine the roof of your garage too... i'm sure some investigation will turn up the exact case
Old 11-08-2004, 07:08 AM
NJZLady

Yes, on the edge of miles of forrest. And I too believe that it is spiders but it is incredible that they "drop" so much or that there are that many spiders crawling around on my car! In one night outdoors I can have 200 spots on the car!!!!!!!!!

We just took in lawn furniture, grill flower pots etc for the winter and what a mess! Hard, raised brown spots on everything. I use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the lawn furniture and it does work like magic.

Quick Reply: I swear it's bug "droppings"