Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Well, I did it. The stock 5AT number to beat (in the world)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:41 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidM
[b]

Though I can tell you that 2.22sec 60' time is the best any manual 350Z has managed on 'this' track ... and it was not easy.
I've pulled 2.0s on at three different tracks...I'd say that's pretty consistant and I know they don't all have perfect track prep.

Have you been to your track for EVERY test and tune event since it opened and watched EVERY SINGLE 350Z go down the track and documented their 60' times?? Who are you to say that the best ANY 350Z at "your" track has pulled is 2.22???
Old 06-01-2005, 12:46 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by DomZ
What do you mean not anymore? I pulled like 3 or 4 consecutive mid-high 102's...they were just 13.7's and 13.8's...Can the rest of us adults discuss this without someone running their mouth all day?
You're not stock anymore...I could quote you on the subject if you like...

Running my mouth??? You're the one that's been running your mouth. With your GUARANTEE of sub 13.3s with your "mods".

How about you go run some times like that...and then you can come back here and talk crap.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:10 PM
1991TT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
If you think that a better 60' automatically means a lower trap speed than you're an idiot.
Sorry to butt-in on you guys' spat, but Max, it's almost a rule of thumb that a better 60' time nets you a higher trap speed. No, it's not always true, but most people accept it as such. The quicker you accel your car down the track, the higher you trap. But, like I said, this is not always the case. If you spin through the first 60', your trap will be low* (even if you cut a 1.9 60'). If you manage grip (regardless of your 60') your trap will be high*. Grip = Higher traps. Grip = Better 60'. Better 60' does not always = Higher traps. Case in point: Throw on some slicks and see what happens to your trap speed.

*Compared to a baseline run.

I've been drag racing for a good long while and I've NEVER seen a correlation between lower 60's and higher traps...in fact I usually see HIGHER traps with a better 60' time...
Now you've got me confused. What exactly are you trying to say here? In the first sentence, you say that you've NEVER seen a correlation between low 60's and high trap speeds, but then, the next thing you say is that you usually see high traps with low 60's. Was this a typo?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:35 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by 1991TT

Now you've got me confused. What exactly are you trying to say here? In the first sentence, you say that you've NEVER seen a correlation between low 60's and high trap speeds, but then, the next thing you say is that you usually see high traps with low 60's. Was this a typo?
typo...I meant I've never seen a correlation between bad 60's and high traps...the whole low, high thing messed me all up. Thanks for catching it.

Case in point...in 90 degree, humid weather when I was stock I ran 100.5mph through the traps on the stock tires with a 2.04 60'

same day with slicks that I borrowed from a friend I trapped 101.5mph (highest trap of the day) with a 1.85 60'
Old 06-01-2005, 04:10 PM
JonsilvZ

There was this guy on this site with a 6spd Z with CAI who ran a 13.5@103 at Atco on a cool day. His name is Anthony M. My point is Atco is a fast track. And yes he let his car cool down.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:23 PM
DavidM

Have you been to your track for EVERY test and tune event since it opened and watched EVERY SINGLE 350Z go down the track and documented their 60' times?? Who are you to say that the best ANY 350Z at "your" track has pulled is 2.22???

No, I have not been to every drag-strip meet ... I've actually been only 2 times. Though, unlike where you live, 350Z costs here good $70k to get on the road and there are not that many of them on the track or drag-strip. There's literally no more than dozen 'enthusiasts' here that have taken their car to the strip ... and not not even 1/2 of that taken it to the track.

Each time that I have gone to the strip we had a group of 350Z ... not a huge one but we did have 6 - 8 cars there (and one of them was the auto). From those two nights 2.22sec is the best 60' time. From what I hear from the people at the strip (ie. regulars), they usualy come up to us and say that's the 1st time they've seen a 350Z there ... so, even though I'm not going to vouche for every 350Z here, I'd still say that our group has done at least 90% of dragging here.

Also I'd say that having 6 - 8 350Zs/drivers there at one time puts me in a very good position to say what I'm saying. 2.3 - 2.4sec 60' times were the norm for the manual cars no matter what they tried (at this track and nights). We were extatic when we pulled of 60' times in 2.2sec range, with 2.22sec being the best. At the same time the auto effortlessly pulled 2.1sec 60' times and with a little bit of practices he was in low 2.0s. Come to think of it, we had 2 autos there once, but one was a convertible (with a roof down). Even that pulled better 60' times than any of the manuals there.

So, none of us may be qualified-super-drag-racing-experts, but my point stands. Auto is very suitable to running 1/4mile times and a lot easier to extract the times from than the manual. That is all I said in the 1st place.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:22 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by DavidM

No, I have not been to every drag-strip meet ... I've actually been only 2 times. Though, unlike where you live, 350Z costs here good $70k to get on the road and there are not that many of them on the track or drag-strip. There's literally no more than dozen 'enthusiasts' here that have taken their car to the strip ... and not not even 1/2 of that taken it to the track.

Each time that I have gone to the strip we had a group of 350Z ... not a huge one but we did have 6 - 8 cars there (and one of them was the auto). From those two nights 2.22sec is the best 60' time. From what I hear from the people at the strip (ie. regulars), they usualy come up to us and say that's the 1st time they've seen a 350Z there ... so, even though I'm not going to vouche for every 350Z here, I'd still say that our group has done at least 90% of dragging here.

Also I'd say that having 6 - 8 350Zs/drivers there at one time puts me in a very good position to say what I'm saying. 2.3 - 2.4sec 60' times were the norm for the manual cars no matter what they tried (at this track and nights). We were extatic when we pulled of 60' times in 2.2sec range, with 2.22sec being the best. At the same time the auto effortlessly pulled 2.1sec 60' times and with a little bit of practices he was in low 2.0s. Come to think of it, we had 2 autos there once, but one was a convertible (with a roof down). Even that pulled better 60' times than any of the manuals there.

So, none of us may be qualified-super-drag-racing-experts, but my point stands. Auto is very suitable to running 1/4mile times and a lot easier to extract the times from than the manual. That is all I said in the 1st place.
If the auto can do it with the same tires, suspension etc. then the manual can do it too. Just becuase nobody in your "group" of Z's knows how to properly launch a 6MT car doesn't mean it can't be done.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 06-01-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:21 PM
typeR

Originally Posted by 1991TT
Sorry to butt-in on you guys' spat, but Max, it's almost a rule of thumb that a better 60' time nets you a higher trap speed. No, it's not always true, but most people accept it as such. The quicker you accel your car down the track, the higher you trap. But, like I said, this is not always the case. If you spin through the first 60', your trap will be low* (even if you cut a 1.9 60'). If you manage grip (regardless of your 60') your trap will be high*. Grip = Higher traps. Grip = Better 60'. Better 60' does not always = Higher traps. Case in point: Throw on some slicks and see what happens to your trap speed.

*Compared to a baseline run.

acctually really good hooks will usually cause a lower trap...and spining often causes higher...look at it this way...you have the 1/4 mile to work with. you leave spining bringing the revs and the power way up as you finally hook...now you start to accerate faster with more track to work with...because you didnt get as far down the track ......some reasons why you might go alittle faster from hooking are things like on my car, vtec for example. when i spin just a little it causes me to get out then bog come back out of vtec then back in again....where as a good launch i stay in the power...last time i was at a shitty track i went 82.93 in the 1/8th previous best was 81.63 i spun all of first and barked second.... slipping your clutch is a perfect example of spinning versus hook and how it relates to traps

Last edited by typeR; 06-01-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:26 PM
DomZ

Bri, quit posting in this thread, you are getting owned at every turn. The rest of us are trying to be civil about this and you continue to yet again keep talking down to people and arguing because you know all there is to know about cars.

A shitty 60' = your tires spinning longer hence hooking and starting at a higher speed to go approximately the same length down the track. The lower your trap, your tires bite at a lower speed, hence lowering your time, but going the same distance with less MPH to start out with. Close this thread, I'm sick of you trolling it like crazy.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:29 PM
DomZ

Ok, now you're really making yourself look like a childish ******* at this point.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:23 PM
DavidM

If the auto can do it with the same tires, suspension etc. then the manual can do it too. Just becuase nobody in your "group" of Z's knows how to properly launch a 6MT car doesn't mean it can't be done.

I never claimed that "it can't be done" ... if anything, I'm saying that it can, but it's a lot harder than for the guys with an automatic. Afterall, here we have a group of 8 or so people who (as you put it) "don't knows how to properly launch a 6MT car" and the the 1st timer in the automatic kicked our butts.

Saying that a super-launching-genius/expert could only re-inforces my point which you seem to be missing - "Auto 350Z is very suitable to running 1/4mile times and a lot easier to extract the times from than the manual."
Old 06-02-2005, 02:46 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Bri, quit posting in this thread, you are getting owned at every turn. The rest of us are trying to be civil about this and you continue to yet again keep talking down to people and arguing because you know all there is to know about cars.
Classic...tell the other guy that he knows everything and you think it makes you look better. Getting owned at every turn?? I don't know what thread you've been reading, but you can come back to reality now.

A shitty 60' = your tires spinning longer hence hooking and starting at a higher speed to go approximately the same length down the track. The lower your trap, your tires bite at a lower speed, hence lowering your time, but going the same distance with less MPH to start out with. Close this thread, I'm sick of you trolling it like crazy.
wow...that was the biggest bunch of BS I think I've ever read. The words that spewed from your keyboard make absolutely NO SENSE AT ALL.

Starting at a higher speed when you spin???? WTF?? Not only is that near irrelevant..and impossible to determine but you WASTE TRACK spinning your tires.

Tell me..which car is going faster at the 60' mark...a car that pulls a 1.7 60' or a car that pulls a 2.5 60'?

Trolling....hahahahahahahahahaha....no just ruining your delusions of grandure.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:52 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by typeR
acctually really good hooks will usually cause a lower trap...and spining often causes higher...look at it this way...you have the 1/4 mile to work with. you leave spining bringing the revs and the power way up as you finally hook...now you start to accerate faster with more track to work with...because you didnt get as far down the track ......some reasons why you might go alittle faster from hooking are things like on my car, vtec for example. when i spin just a little it causes me to get out then bog come back out of vtec then back in again....where as a good launch i stay in the power...last time i was at a shitty track i went 82.93 in the 1/8th previous best was 81.63 i spun all of first and barked second.... slipping your clutch is a perfect example of spinning versus hook and how it relates to traps
The distance down the 1/4 doesn't change. It's always 1320 feet. The more you spin...the more track you WASTE. Tell me this...which car is going faster at the 60'...one that pulls a 1.7 60' or one that pulls a 2.5 60'????

Read what you typed and realize that it makes nearly no sense at all...the same car with a stronger launch will be going a higher speed the entire way down the track..at every increment. At 10 feet it will be going faster if it hooks than if it spins...same at 20, 30, 40, 50 etc. The car spinning it's tires with the same power won't suddenly jump ahead of the one hooking in MPH/distance...thats just insane.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:36 AM
DomZ

Guys listen, BriGuy knows everything about drag racing, all of our knowledge is irrelevant, even when he says something wrong, he manages to say, "oh, well that's what I really meant". I believe we should all bow to BriGuy's superior knowledge and call it a day. I don't know who you think has delusions of grandure, but everything I've said is true and correct and no matter what ******** you want to claim, I have slips to throw up in your face. You call me trying to drop .3 bench racing, ok, so you drop .3 with a popcharger and test pipes....while I am installing a popcharger, test pipes, AAM plenum spacer, AND headers, yet you feel I can not do the same. Please get your head out of your *** and why don't YOU try coming back to reality for once in this thread. You know nothing about drag racing, there are plenty of people inside of this thread who do and have managed to be more than civil about it when shooting down your asinine remarks. Get your head out of the clouds buddy, you are noone special to any of us, but thank you for your "wealth of knowledge" you have bestowed upon this thread and have a great day.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Dave B

Concerning trapspeed in relation to 60', none of my three cars I've raced at my track got better MPHs when my 60 foots weren't very good. This hold true for my old 94 Z28, 96 Maxima, and now my G35. When I took my G35 down the track on her maiden run, I pulled a dismal 2.38 60' and ran a 14.6@97.5mph. I immediately ran again and pulled a 2.21 60' and got a 14.4@97.5mph. In my Maxima, I could pull low 2.2 60's or high 2.4 60's, with my ETs changing dramatically, but MPHs stayed within .5mph.

I think you guys are confusing this high trap = bad 60' and low trap = low 60' thing with cars that run big slicks and pull sub 1.7 foots. Adding wide slicks is common place at the track. With all the massive grip, these cars leap off the line. The slicks drop the ETs dramatically, but often 1-2mph is lost. The speed is lost to the frictional drag of slicks. Nearly 100% of the tire width is the contact patch compared to 60-70% of a normal street tire. That increases drag immensely at higher speeds. This loss of trap speed is easily overcome by the stellar launch hence the much lower ET even though the car might not be accelerating as hard of the far end. It's common to watch an LS1 F-Body go 12.9@114 on street tires and then turn around and do a 12.4@112mph on slicks.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:42 PM
typeR

The distance down the 1/4 doesn't change. It's always 1320 feet. The more you spin...the more track you WASTE. Tell me this....
the opposite...the more you spin the less track your using up leaving you with more track to work with and you've slipped the rpm's higher...horse power too ...theres a guy here cant remember his user name but he drives a mustang to a 12 second pass at only 101...this is only done by a huge 60 foot if you think his car traps 101 with less traction youre wrong...if he were to put street tires on ill bet he traps 105...weve had this conversation before and im telling you this i know...if you spin ,but move out alittle you'll trap higher...if you just go up in smoke thats a different story...it's just like i said before...to a certain extent spinning your tires is much like slipping your clutch....and for the same reason a direct one to one you'd think would get you out faster ...but a certain amount of grab allows the rpms to go way up the power band

Last edited by typeR; 06-05-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:03 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by typeR
the opposite...the more you spin the less track your using up leaving you with more track to work with and you've slipped the rpm's higher...horse power too ...theres a guy here cant remember his user name but he drives a mustang to a 12 second pass at only 101...this is only done by a huge 60 foot if you think his car traps 101 with less traction youre wrong...if he were to put street tires on ill bet he traps 105...weve had this conversation before and im telling you this i know...if you spin ,but move out alittle you'll trap higher...if you just go up in smoke thats a different story...it's just like i said before...to a certain extent spinning your tires is much like slipping your clutch....and for the same reason a direct one to one you'd think would get you out faster ...but a certain amount of grab allows the rpms to go way up the power band
Your "theory" is all fine and good in your mind...so explain to me why I and everyone else that I've ever gone to the track with has NEVER seen more trap with worse 60' times on even a semi-consistant basis. I've pulled out all my 100+ slips for my old maxima and my 30+ slips for my Z and as a general rule..the better I 60 the HIGHER I trap.

I can get 4 or 5 of my friends to post on here with the same result with their cars.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:01 PM
typeR

Your "theory" is all fine and good in your mind...so explain to me why I and everyone else that I've ever gone to the track with has NEVER seen more trap with worse 60' times on even a semi-consistant basis. I've pulled out all my 100+ slips for my old maxima and my 30+ slips for my Z and as a general rule..the better I 60 the HIGHER I trap.

I can get 4 or 5 of my friends to post on here with the same result with their cars.
look bri...i know you goto the track alot...i do too...i have 200+ passes in this car if not more...im being conservitive..i can easily get 10 11 second cars to come here and report a certain amount of spinning will raise your trap speed yet also raise your ET but not in a good way...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:32 AM
96sleeper

I tend to agree with the spinning=more trap, but not all occasions. My fastest trap speed to date in my car was one of my worst 60 ft times that day. For the longest time my highest trap speed was a run on my old stock clutch, where I slipped the clutch too much on the launch and it started slipping on the 1-2 shift, and really bad on the 2-3 shift where the rpm's stayed high until the car caught up engine, I thought it was a terrible run, and the time was terrible, but the trap was high.

Last edited by 96sleeper; 06-06-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:33 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

You know nothing about drag racing
That statement alone makes you look like a complete idiot.

How about this, you can TALK all you want about what you'll "supposedly" run ET wise with your mods, but the FACT is you haven't run it. So until you do, sit down and shut up. I've run 13.3...I have the slip..you HAVEN'T. Futhermore...most of my E.T drop was due to a MUCH MUCH better 60' time, not my mods. I didn't even gain 1mph through the traps.

Cliff's Notes: Put up or shut up.

Quick Reply: Well, I did it. The stock 5AT number to beat (in the world)