Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Question about powershifting *alberto help if you can*

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Daytona350Texas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about powershifting *alberto help if you can*

Alright ive been doing a lot of reading...

Right now my speed shifting is perfect ive had my car 3months so getting used to short throw wasnt hard. Havnt gotten to track it yet but I wanna get a lot of things covered before spring and it opening back up...

The thing im most concerned about powershifting is, RPMs.... when I speed shift I normally am shifting at about 6500... on avg, now when powershifting I know its all about timing...

When keeping the foot on full throttle the whole time, and the split second engaging clutch/shift, your RPMs sore 200-500 if im correct, now if im still shifting at 6500, that could easily make it almost 7100 and well past rev limiter... what RPMs are good to shift it when powershifting...

And is my above statements true to what powershifting really is.... basically never let off gas and shift.... cause i know speedshifting is letting off just enough to engage and full throttle once again, which like i said im perfect at.... just curious as to the change from speed to powershifting... and also what can happen to engine/clutch/tranny.... if i screw it up haha
Old 11-20-2005, 03:44 AM
southern_info

You have a rev limiter so your not going to rev pass 7100 if you have the 35th anniversary or reflash ecu. You power shift as soon as you hit get inside of redline a little bit. You pull the gear at the same time your hitting the clutch and as soon as the clutch hits the floor. You should be in gear right then and there then pop your clutch. I found the shift to be faster than normally and it gearbox moves like butter seriously.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:14 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As members will tell you, there are advantages and disadvantages to power shifting:

Advantages: Its quick and your rpm will remain high coming into the next gear.

Disadvantages: Its possible to goof-up and hit the rev limiter. That will kill 0.1 seconds and kill your ET. The rev limit is NOT a perfectly safe tool. Its possible to push the engine past redline.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You wont over rev powershifting, you will bounce limiter at worst. This wouldnt be a mechanical over-rev because your not spinning the motor any faster than fuel cut when your clutch is pushed in (neutral). My honest opinion is if your jumping as much as 500rpm's dont powershift all that much yet, keep practicing. Listen to my 1/4 vid, I dont jump revs when shifting, nor do I roll off limiter in between shifts like you hear a lot of guys doing. I shift 1-2 @ 7100 ( I have an ECU) and I bet you wont hear me even touch limiter on the 1-2 all you hear is redline, then wheelspin or a chirp, ideally thats what you want, no rpm jump when shifting. With that being said, work on your leg speed. Everybody has fast hands, not many have a really fast leg to kick down on the clutch. Sounds to me like if you are jumping up to 500 rpm's your pushing the clutch in maybe to far or not getting off of it fast enough. I only push the clutch down about 1/2 way, thats all I need for a smooth shift into the next gear. Keep practicing, and you will get it. I think the hardest gear to hit when first beginnning powershifting is the 2-3, your prolly jumping the most revs on that gear shift than 1-2 or 3-4. Start practicing with 1-2 @ redline. I have a buddy that has a lazy leg powershifting, when he shifts at redline and pushes in the clutch he rolls off limiter while hes switching gears, sounds like waaaaaDADADADADAwaaaaaa pretty ghey if you ask me, dont be that guy
Old 11-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Daytona350Texas

Originally Posted by Alberto
You wont over rev powershifting, you will bounce limiter at worst. This wouldnt be a mechanical over-rev because your not spinning the motor any faster than fuel cut when your clutch is pushed in (neutral). My honest opinion is if your jumping as much as 500rpm's dont powershift all that much yet, keep practicing. Listen to my 1/4 vid, I dont jump revs when shifting, nor do I roll off limiter in between shifts like you hear a lot of guys doing. I shift 1-2 @ 7100 ( I have an ECU) and I bet you wont hear me even touch limiter on the 1-2 all you hear is redline, then wheelspin or a chirp, ideally thats what you want, no rpm jump when shifting. With that being said, work on your leg speed. Everybody has fast hands, not many have a really fast leg to kick down on the clutch. Sounds to me like if you are jumping up to 500 rpm's your pushing the clutch in maybe to far or not getting off of it fast enough. I only push the clutch down about 1/2 way, thats all I need for a smooth shift into the next gear. Keep practicing, and you will get it. I think the hardest gear to hit when first beginnning powershifting is the 2-3, your prolly jumping the most revs on that gear shift than 1-2 or 3-4. Start practicing with 1-2 @ redline. I have a buddy that has a lazy leg powershifting, when he shifts at redline and pushes in the clutch he rolls off limiter while hes switching gears, sounds like waaaaaDADADADADAwaaaaaa pretty ghey if you ask me, dont be that guy
haha nice audible aide there...

Well im not personally jumping 500 thats just what ive read off other peoples umm explinations of how to powershift? anyways, i wanna get out and practice but this cold whether is sucking away at my life right now heh... and im leaking oil and cant figure out where take it in tomarrow... but i have one more question this may get confusing so if you need it broken down let me know.

Alright on launch im running stock tires still *come spring ill have nitto 555* im just curious i launch at about 2500 to keep wheel spin to a min as much as possible... but ive been hearing of people launching at like 5-6k and not getting a whole lot of wheel spin, and when it does im almost immediately into 2nd which it basically revs from about 3k to end of 2nd... so im losing a lot of time 1-2 with my wheel spin all thru 1st. Is there something I can do with the clutch/throttle that will eliminate so much wheel spin. Cause here is a visual of how I launch and shift.

Idle launch at 2500 as soon as light hits im clutch out drop 1st throttle to floor
Spin basically most of 1st maybe get the last 1k time before shift, speed shift 1-2 wheelspin...
2nd rev from 3500 to red speed shift 2-3rd, chirp... from there is piece of cake, but it feels like my time and launch could be WAY better....

Now if I let of the throttle just a lil enough to catch and back down to floor would that save me some time, or at least get better 60ft? I dont know what I currently do on 60ft cause i baught car 2 weeks after track closed and there isnt a track opened for over 100miles around here it seems...

Input would be awesome thanks!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

As far as not spinning in the cold you really cant powershift, especially if you punch it from a 1st gear roll and your already spinning when you shift. In 40 degree weather on my 18's even a b!tch shift into 2nd equals wheel spin to about 5500rpm in 2nd gear for me, let alone a powershift. You just have to lift throttle shift and get back onto the gas easy. As far as launching 5-6K on "street tires" and no spin is BS, maybe slicks. On the street I usually just slip quick from 2500rpm's go about 3/4 throttle initially, when it catches traction finish 1st WOT.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:42 PM
concuthatbu

By the time you perfect powershifting, it's time for you to get a new tranny and engine for your Z. Good luck
Old 11-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Daytona350Texas

As far as not spinning in the cold you really cant powershift, especially if you punch it from a 1st gear roll and your already spinning when you shift. In 40 degree weather on my 18's even a b!tch shift into 2nd equals wheel spin to about 5500rpm in 2nd gear for me, let alone a powershift. You just have to lift throttle shift and get back onto the gas easy. As far as launching 5-6K on "street tires" and no spin is BS, maybe slicks. On the street I usually just slip quick from 2500rpm's go about 3/4 throttle initially, when it catches traction finish 1st WOT.
Well i did like you said and got out there and powershifted tonight... the first time i tried i lifted throttle cause of reaction, then choked it up tried again and nailed it... i dunno why i was always so scared to leave full throttle and shift, it feels amazing... that umph kinda right as you catch is beautiful to my 4ss hahahaha as for the launch im not sure how much tire i have but 3/4 throttle sounds touchy but good, ill work on that and see what i can come up with. Thanks man. And dont worry as soon as I can ill get a slip up, i know how you are about wanting to see slips
Old 11-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Daytona350Texas

Originally Posted by concuthatbu
By the time you perfect powershifting, it's time for you to get a new tranny and engine for your Z. Good luck
And nah it wasnt hard im real quick with hand/feet motion, didnt slip once actually. went perfectly the first time i did it to be honest... im sure it could use a little more shifter slamming cause i was being gentle at first then slammin it almost like how alberto does in his video, but i still baby this dang car too much haha. But it was definately a lot faster then speed shifting, and the feeling, like i said... amazing
Old 11-21-2005, 04:02 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by concuthatbu
I guess my motor is a freak then, 53K miles of powershifting, and 23K on this tranny replacement that I receieved from Nissan over 1.5 years ago because of the $hit they put in at first I hate when people make stupid statements like yours
Old 11-21-2005, 07:11 AM
Daytona350Texas

I guess my motor is a freak then, 53K miles of powershifting, and 23K on this tranny replacement that I receieved from Nissan over 1.5 years ago because of the $hit they put in at first I hate when people make stupid statements like yours
true ^^... heck powershifting really doesnt feel like its as bad as what people explain, it seems like i would have an easier time not grinding powershifting then trying to time a perfect speedshift.... heh at least it makes sense in MY head of course
Old 11-21-2005, 05:53 PM
350zQ45a

Can someone explain the never lift to shift powershifting thing. I feel I have the granny shifting down to a science using just enough clutch and lifting just the right amount.

So basically your flooring it, and when you go to shift, you push in the clutch just enough (while never letting off the gas) then you shift gears?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by 350zQ45a
Can someone explain the never lift to shift powershifting thing. I feel I have the granny shifting down to a science using just enough clutch and lifting just the right amount.

So basically your flooring it, and when you go to shift, you push in the clutch just enough (while never letting off the gas) then you shift gears?
Yes, its a fast WOT shift. I do it because to me a lift throttle shift as fast as I can do one feels way slower than a powershift, so I got into the habit of just powershifting when I race. Im not preaching to people to do it or that it will help your track times, its just a matter of personal preference. Watch my in-car 1/4 vid in my sig to see/hear it. BTW I know it kinda looks like my right leg is lifting from the throttle on shifts(all my friends pointed this out) but Im not, just my body moving some on the shifts....
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Daytona350Texas

now curious about the video, what your doing to the clutch is that punishment really necessary? cause from the looks of it, it seems like your really slamming it into gear, as when i powershift its just quick movement... now i know we are dealing with more hp in your car and tq... but just curious why so rough? and life of your clutch has been good to you?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Daytona350Texas
now curious about the video, what your doing to the clutch is that punishment really necessary? cause from the looks of it, it seems like your really slamming it into gear, as when i powershift its just quick movement... now i know we are dealing with more hp in your car and tq... but just curious why so rough? and life of your clutch has been good to you?
Thats just how I shift when I race. 53K miles stock clutch, no issues. When done correctly powershifting will not decrease the life of your clutch/tranny considerably enough to make me personally not do it and just regular speedshift.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:56 PM
DeeZ

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....465ED&kw=9&p=0

good video, kinda long but well worth it!!! im sure this will help with this thread...lol
Old 11-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by DeeZ
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....465ED&kw=9&p=0

good video, kinda long but well worth it!!! im sure this will help with this thread...lol
How? Those guys are road racing(not dragging), none of those guys are powershifting or have a need to. If we were talking about heel/toe downshifting then the vid would help, I dont see how this pertains to what we are discussing.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:50 AM
DeeZ

still a cool vid, so shut it.....lol

j/p
Old 11-27-2005, 07:38 PM
jakesford

kick it and rip it

In my mustang days i would power shift with nitrous on a WOT switch, but i had no fear of driving that car like i stole it. Never blew it up even with the 150 shot. Good ol' 5.0
Old 11-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by jakesford
kick it and rip it

In my mustang days i would power shift with nitrous on a WOT switch, but i had no fear of driving that car like i stole it. Never blew it up even with the 150 shot. Good ol' 5.0
Lol, sounds like something I would do. Rarely miss a gear anyways, but damn would suck if you just pegged rev limiter spraying

Quick Reply: Question about powershifting *alberto help if you can*