Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Question about powershifting *alberto help if you can*

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Max I know the potential problems associated with racing and shifting fast, you dont need to get into that. If you dont do it, thats fine, you have your views and experiences, as I have mine. I have a Z, you do not, and I can tell you these tranny's/clucthes are stout, and Ill say again at my weak power levels there is no problem powershifting if you can do it correctly, meaning not grinding, or jumping revs in between shifts.

Southern feels the same way I do, to me because of personal preference, I like to keep my right foot down, I also have very fast reflexes, but when I left throttle shift, it holds me up, in other words I dont shift as fast as I feel I can, powershifting I do. I think my times and traps speak for themselves considering my weak(imo) 60ft's....
Old 12-01-2005, 09:04 AM
max2000jp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Max I know the potential problems associated with racing and shifting fast, you dont need to get into that. If you dont do it, thats fine, you have your views and experiences, as I have mine. I have a Z, you do not, and I can tell you these tranny's/clucthes are stout, and Ill say again at my weak power levels there is no problem powershifting if you can do it correctly, meaning not grinding, or jumping revs in between shifts.

Southern feels the same way I do, to me because of personal preference, I like to keep my right foot down, I also have very fast reflexes, but when I left throttle shift, it holds me up, in other words I dont shift as fast as I feel I can, powershifting I do. I think my times and traps speak for themselves considering my weak(imo) 60ft's....
How many transmissions have you had replaced already I know BriGuyMax had some problems with his Z's transmission as well. I can't remember what exactly what was wrong with it though.

I personally have tried powershifting and it doesn't seem to be any faster. I bang off the rev limiter a couple of times and then shift. When I lift-shift, the RPMS rev down less than 1,000 rpms if memory serves me right. Either way, I can shift fairly quickly using both methods. Maybe you should practice lift-shifting at the track and compare your times. Also, power-shifting into second gear provokes substanial wheelspin. I positive that's not beneficial to your ET.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:07 AM
southern_info

Second and third gear the tires break traction anyways on street tires. I have no idea about DR's.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by max2000jp
How many transmissions have you had replaced already I know BriGuyMax had some problems with his Z's transmission as well. I can't remember what exactly what was wrong with it though.
OMG MAX !!! You have been on here how long? I take you as a knowledgable, experienced car enthusiasts, and yet you still are dumb enough to ask "how many tranny's have you been through" when you by now know that MANY 03' and some 04' Z's had transmission problems! There is a 4th redesign of this tranny out for replacements. My original was crap, would grind on cold morning like it had no synchro's, it was replaced. My replacement 2nd version out as seen by PN, was also crap, this one lost 5th gear, then 6th, then got stuck in reverse on an alignment machine! My 2nd replacement, now my 3rd tranny was the "good one" and I have had it for 24K miles now, with no issues, even after powershifts, and redline clutch drops on slicks! Dont try to act like I had something to do with a tranny failure when these early POS tranny's were failing with grandma driving them

Originally Posted by maxdontknow$hit
Also, power-shifting into second gear provokes substanial wheelspin. I positive that's not beneficial to your ET.
Thank you Captain Obvious.....

On slicks it doesnt provoke 2nd gear wheel spin. Actually it doesnt with my 285's out back either, or on good stock sized tires. I only get crazy wheel spin on stock sized 245/45 when its cold out(45>), so try to think of another reason why other people shouldnt powershift because you dont want to or cant do it properly
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 AM
max2000jp

OMG MAX !!! You have been on here how long? I take you as a knowledgable, experienced car enthusiasts, and yet you still are dumb enough to ask "how many tranny's have you been through" when you by now know that MANY 03' and some 04' Z's had transmission problems! There is a 4th redesign of this tranny out for replacements. My original was crap, would grind on cold morning like it had no synchro's, it was replaced. My replacement 2nd version out as seen by PN, was also crap, this one lost 5th gear, then 6th, then got stuck in reverse on an alignment machine! My 2nd replacement, now my 3rd tranny was the "good one" and I have had it for 24K miles now, with no issues, even after powershifts, and redline clutch drops on slicks! Dont try to act like I had something to do with a tranny failure when these early POS tranny's were failing with grandma driving them :
It was a joke, lighten up buddy. I was more poking fun at the fact that you pointed out that they were "stout". I am aware of their problems in 03-04 models. I was planning on purchasing a Z a while back and did some research. The Z's transmissions are indeed very strong, but Nissan engineers never designed them to handle the shock that is placed on them during a powershift. That's not to say that they are going to blow up, rather it is increasing your chances of problems down the road.

Not on slicks it doesnt. Actually it doesnt with my 285's out back either, or on good stock sized tires. I only get crazy wheel spin on stock sized 245/45 when its cold out, so try to think of another reason why other people shouldnt powershift because you dont want to or cant do it properly
Sorry, I forgot to put "In my experience, when I poweshift into second". In my car, it spins and gets sideways very slightly into second with lift-shifting. If I powershift, I spin for a good while and that decreases your ET. If I put slicks on, it would probably just give a nice chirp. If I had enough power, I could probably spin into second on slicks. Maybe I should have put a disclaimer in my post: If your car is traction limited, then powershifting doesn't help. If you have a underpowered car or have great traction, it might shave some time off your ET.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

You had me for 1 second there I would def imagine in your much torquier Mustang that a 1-2 powershift on street tires would send you sideways....this is not always the case for us Z's
Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 AM
southern_info

I can admit powershifting against the formula in my vid was the only thing that was helping me against that V8. I know for a fact an LT1 stock puts down 300@5000RPM and 340@4000RPM, but he had head work and bolts on's. I know I was at a disadvantage and basing it on numbers I should of gotten walked on espically with his mods (Damn look at that torque). How can you justify them apples and I'm assuming I was 240whp against 310+whp bcuz I haven't dyno yet? I bet if I was to lift during my shifts it would have been alot harder for me to stay right by his side and probably would have fell back alot faster than him inching away slowly but surely. But that was not the case and I stay with him until I was walk on back to bumber then I walked back in 5th gear around 125 because the gearing for 5th is pretty damn strong. You can clearly hear me powershifting in my VID. Powershifting keeps you going forward with a a slight pause unlike what you get from lifting to shift it's a serious pause but it's so slight. I don't think powershifting damages transmission it's speed shifting period. I say use your perference if your read this post and use your own judgement.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:35 AM
max2000jp

You had me for 1 second there I would def imagine in your much torquier Mustang that a 1-2 powershift on street tires would send you sideways....this is not always the case for us Z's
Yep, plus 235/55 A/S tires don't help much either.

Quick question: Have you noticed any slippage when you powershift at the track? IIRC you are still on the stock clutch.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 AM
southern_info

Maybe I should have put a disclaimer in my post: If your car is traction limited, then powershifting doesn't help. If you have a underpowered car or have great traction, it might shave some time off your ET.
+1 I agree with that!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Yep, plus 235/55 A/S tires don't help much either.

Quick question: Have you noticed any slippage when you powershift at the track? IIRC you are still on the stock clutch.
No my clutch has NEVER slipped at the track. Last time out though I did a 6000rpm clutch drop, and it smelled pretty bad after that-I had never even smelled it to that day. I bet it couldnt handle another 10 hard launches and 1/4 runs on slicks, it has to be getting to its last leg with everything Ive thrown at it the past 2.5 years Im happy with how long its lasted, Ill post pics of it when I put my JWT clutch/fw in....
Old 12-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Dave B

Originally Posted by southern_info
I can admit powershifting against the formula in my vid was the only thing that was helping me against that V8. I know for a fact an LT1 stock puts down 300@5000RPM and 340@4000RPM, but he had head work and bolts on's. I know I was at a disadvantage and basing it on numbers I should of gotten walked on espically with his mods (Damn look at that torque). How can you justify them apples and I'm assuming I was 240whp against 310+whp bcuz I haven't dyno yet? I bet if I was to lift during my shifts it would have been alot harder for me to stay right by his side and probably would have fell back alot faster than him inching away slowly but surely. But that was not the case and I stay with him until I was walk on back to bumber then I walked back in 5th gear around 125 because the gearing for 5th is pretty damn strong. You can clearly hear me powershifting in my VID. Powershifting keeps you going forward with a a slight pause unlike what you get from lifting to shift it's a serious pause but it's so slight. I don't think powershifting damages transmission it's speed shifting period. I say use your perference if your read this post and use your own judgement.
Stock LT1s put down 250-265whp depending on tranny and year. They were rated at anywhere from 275hp to 305hp depending year (Ram Air, SS, regular, etc). The 305hp models were a bit overrated. How do I know? I had a modded 94 Z28 automatic. The autos and 6MT are evenly matched in those cars, much like the 5AT and 6MT G/Z. My Z28 did mid 13s at 102mph with a low 1.9 60 foots. Mods were a catback, intake, y-pipe, ECU, and some other tweaks. In stock form it did 14.3s@99mph. The 93-97 LT1 F-Bodies weighed around 3450-3600lbs depending on tranny and option level (Trans Ams are the heaviest). The 98+ LS1 F-Bodies make 290-310whp stock and weigh 80lbs less thanks to their alumnium block and run mid to low 13s stock. Most "stock" LT1s go mid to low 14s. Some have cracked into the 13s solidly, but that's fairly rare. Most lightly modded LT1s go low 14s to mid 13s. With "head" work as you say, he should have run away from you. If someone does heads on an LT1 then they mostly likely did a cam, longtubes, ECU flash, etc. You're talking easy 360-400whp. Cars like this go mid 12s to upper 11s with ease. I think the LT1 owner was yanking your chain.