Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Anyone hit rev limiter when drag racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 05:29 PM
signZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone hit rev limiter when drag racing?

Hey Guys,

I have a 2005 redline touring 6 mt. I have been to the track a whole lot of times. My 60' is good (2.0 to 2.2), my 330 is good and my 1/8 is good most of the time. But, and here is the big but....I shift fast, but I always hit the rev limiter before I get to the traps. I am averaging 14.1-14.3. Looking at my timeslips I could have picked up some time if I did not hit the rev limiter:

Here is a good run with no rev limiter hit:
60'-2.2
330-6.0
1/8- 9.2 @ 79
1000-11.9
1/4- 14.1

here is slip with hitting the rev same night at atco:

60- 2.064
330-5.9
1/8-9.3 @ 75.24
1000 12.1
1/4 - 14.4

Has anyone hit the rev limiter? I'ts kinda scary. My car wants to go sideways when that happens. Should I shift into 4th before the traps? Any suggestions would be great. Getting a few upgrades to the car soon and not sure how to handle this.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:33 PM
bhk1004

i think almost everyone hits the rev limiter one time or another.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:31 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by signZ
Should I shift into 4th before the traps?

Fourth gear tops out at about 104mph. I don't see how you can possibly cross the finish line in third gear.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:00 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i love hitting my rev limiter... i do it on the weekends just for fun

you notice he didnt put his trap speeds down...

as davidv would say. post your slips or we wont help you!!
Old 05-17-2006, 11:16 AM
mojo powered

she's a she by the way

SignZ.. do you know how to set your shift light? I have mine set a bit higher, which means that it comes off RIGHT before I redline. So I keep my eyes on that light and as soon as it comes on, I know I'm about to redline so I shift.

The shift light comes approximately 300rpm before redline, preset from factory. But obviously, you can change that with the road trip computer buttons. As I said, mine comes on right at 6500 but for that, I have it set to probably 6800 or so because it's always about 300 rpm early. Just play with it to see how "early" it comes on after you set it to about 6800. Your redline is right at 6600 if I am not mistaken.

The only time I hit the rev limiter is in first, if I have trouble getting traction and I'm still spinning. That is soon to change though MT Streets are on their way.

Also, come on now.. with a 14.1.. you're not doing too bad at all You're almost there.

Also, do you lift your foot of the accelerator when you shift?

Last edited by mojo powered; 05-17-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

oh well if you are a girl, then you are doing fine. my girl cant even switch lanes right much less go 1/4 mile in a straight line....
Old 05-17-2006, 12:32 PM
NateP

She's not trying to go through the traps in third, she's just hitting whatever "rev limiter" (I only raced her car once) Nissan puts in, and it seems to do something with the vehicle dynamic control when it does. From what she describes, it sounds like the car hits the brakes, but it does it in a way that makes the car get squirrely, like it's hitting brakes on alternate corners or something. I don't think her concern is with actually hitting the limiter from the standpoint of it affecting her ETs, I think she's more wondering what's going on with the VDC.

We have removed the sensor that is located right behind the shifter, by the way. In initial testing after removing it, this "rev limiter" seemed to have gone away, but the next night at the track, the weird alternate-braking thing happened again when she hit the limiter.

Any more thoughts? Input is always appreciated.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:06 PM
signZ

Default She would like to respond:

Originally Posted by mojo powered
she's a she by the way

SignZ.. do you know how to set your shift light? I have mine set a bit higher, which means that it comes off RIGHT before I redline. So I keep my eyes on that light and as soon as it comes on, I know I'm about to redline so I shift.

The shift light comes approximately 300rpm before redline, preset from factory. But obviously, you can change that with the road trip computer buttons. As I said, mine comes on right at 6500 but for that, I have it set to probably 6800 or so because it's always about 300 rpm early. Just play with it to see how "early" it comes on after you set it to about 6800. Your redline is right at 6600 if I am not mistaken.

The only time I hit the rev limiter is in first, if I have trouble getting traction and I'm still spinning. That is soon to change though MT Streets are on their way.

Also, come on now.. with a 14.1.. you're not doing too bad at all You're almost there.

Also, do you lift your foot of the accelerator when you shift?
Ok Mojo - I know about the little light. I have mine set for 7800 and I don't want to see it because it's really annoying. I go with the feel of the car and the car feels great in 3rd, 4th feels kinda of sluggish to me. Maybe I need a turbo? The shift light does not control the rev limiter- ithe little light only let's you or me know when we SHOULD shift. And I want to shift higher. That's the problem.

The problem is when I shift from 3rd to 4th. I shift just before redline from 3rd to 4th. But sometimes it seems that the car wants to give more fuel after I let off the clutch to shift to 4th. This is just before the traps.

So when I hit the rev limiter the car wants to go sideways. This is my problem. Lot's of power in the top of 3rd and I sooo want to keep it there. But I try to shift to 4th, and the car basically puts the brakes on which makes me lose control of the car. Not fun, but I deal with it. I usually throw my helmet by this point and say some nasty words.

This does not happen every time, but some of what would have been my best times this happens.

Basically I need to know how to disable my rev limiter. I don't want it.

And by the way Mojo- wait til you see what I have in store for you, I'll have a little-big sticker that say's "look at the signgirls rear" Afterall you are still my racing boyfriend...
Old 05-17-2006, 03:18 PM
dirtroad

you can get your ECU reflashed to raise the rev limiter up to 7100....
technosquare does this, look it up. it will also remove the top speed governor.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:57 PM
signZ

Question

Originally Posted by dirtroad
you can get your ECU reflashed to raise the rev limiter up to 7100....
technosquare does this, look it up. it will also remove the top speed governor.
Thanks dirtroad. Love it! That's what I was looking for. I asked Turbonetics if they would flash my ecu and adjust the rev limiter, but they said no! Any other quick fixes before the flash, anyone, anyone, anyone?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:00 PM
signZ

Originally Posted by NateP
She's not trying to go through the traps in third, she's just hitting whatever "rev limiter" (I only raced her car once) Nissan puts in, and it seems to do something with the vehicle dynamic control when it does. From what she describes, it sounds like the car hits the brakes, but it does it in a way that makes the car get squirrely, like it's hitting brakes on alternate corners or something. I don't think her concern is with actually hitting the limiter from the standpoint of it affecting her ETs, I think she's more wondering what's going on with the VDC.

We have removed the sensor that is located right behind the shifter, by the way. In initial testing after removing it, this "rev limiter" seemed to have gone away, but the next night at the track, the weird alternate-braking thing happened again when she hit the limiter.

Any more thoughts? Input is always appreciated.
Thanks to my wonderful Nate for clarifying that to everyone. He is the man behind the car. Hopefully you all can help a little more, time slips soon.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:36 PM
mrtomcat

Bottomline here is Practise

Drag Racing is not as easy as some may want to make it look.
It takes practice to master

Set the shiftlight to the correct location and then practise to shift as close to the limiter without actually hitting it as possible, shift fast, keep the wheel steady and you'll see improvement.
You can start practising this in everyday driving, set the light to let's say 4000 rpm and nail it everytime...then when you go back to the track you raise it to whereever your limiter is set at and hit it there.

Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:12 PM
davidv

Basically I need to know how to disable my rev limiter. I don't want it.
Basically you need to practice. The car is well capable of better than 14.1 seconds.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:18 PM
signZ

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
Bottomline here is Practise

Drag Racing is not as easy as some may want to make it look.
It takes practice to master

Set the shiftlight to the correct location and then practise to shift as close to the limiter without actually hitting it as possible, shift fast, keep the wheel steady and you'll see improvement.
You can start practising this in everyday driving, set the light to let's say 4000 rpm and nail it everytime...then when you go back to the track you raise it to whereever your limiter is set at and hit it there.

Good Luck!
So anyway....
Old 05-17-2006, 05:40 PM
NateP

The shifting advice is helpful, but I'm more curious if anyone has experienced the odd braking that signZ is experiencing?

I understand that the ECU can be reflashed, and that is good info to have, thanks.

Nate
Old 05-17-2006, 05:41 PM
signZ

I am looking for a few answers from some with experience drag racing this car STOCK, that is all....
Old 05-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

well if you are hitting the rev limiter in 3rd, it is killing the power to the engine. this will cause the *** end to want to come around. just like if you leave it in third gear and go to 6600 and let off the gas

just stop hitting the rev limiter. its killing your quarter mile time anyways

i have drag raced many many cars. its probably some driver error here.....

Last edited by Audible Mayhem; 05-17-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:10 PM
davidv

I am looking for a few answers from some with experience drag racing this car STOCK, that is all....

Yes I have raced the 350Z stock in April of 2005. Push it too hard and you will hit the rev limiter. And as you mentioned, hitting the rev limiter will kill your ET. But the solution is not to remove the rev limiter - its there for a purpose. The solution is to practice shifting at peak horsepower before the rev limiter.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:19 PM
mrtomcat

So anyway....
if you don't want advise than don't ask. I tried to give your some pointers
I'm running in the 11's and NEVER hit the rev limiter because I know how to drive and know what it takes to get there.

The rev limiter is there for a reason, if you take it off on a stock block you will blow it by overrevving.

learn how to drive and shift and you won't have to worry about a rev limiter
and learn some manners
Old 05-18-2006, 04:03 AM
signZ

Originally Posted by davidv

Yes I have raced the 350Z stock in April of 2005. Push it too hard and you will hit the rev limiter. And as you mentioned, hitting the rev limiter will kill your ET. But the solution is not to remove the rev limiter - its there for a purpose. The solution is to practice shifting at peak horsepower before the rev limiter.
I guess I need to keep trying to do that. I am sure I need more practice, not saying I am a perfect driver at all. But I really am trying to shift just before rev limiter into 4th and about 1 out of 5 runs I am hitting the rev limiter.

By the way, nice time slip. That's awesome for stock.

Quick Reply: Anyone hit rev limiter when drag racing?