Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

RX8 owner calls me cocky

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Nealoc187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
you were acting a little cocky.. its one thing i learned going to the track very often.. no matter if someone runs 20's or 10's.. you treat them all the same.. we are all there for the same purpose.. you could have just ran him without the 15's vs 13's comment.. there is always a bigger fish!

I agree - I would've not made the comment about your times compared to his but just let the timeslip do the talking after the race. If he still wants to be a toolbag then, that's when you just roll your eyes and ignore him.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
VitViper

The bigger fish that night were a pair of Z06 Vette's lol
Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 AM
S8ER95Z

Nice... I had that happen at Cordova one year against an SRT4 Neon. I had my old LT1 and the motor was going south for whatever reason.... bone stock I was trapping 97mph with a fubared trans and the night I was racing my best trap was 93mph (Previous traps at that time were 103+ for my mods)

I race the guy and lose (due to me being asleep at the line)... and when I get back to the pits I am calling my car a slow pos and generally pissed off at how things were going. So the kid with the neon starts talking to a friend of mine about how I was cocky and he shut me up, etc.

Next day I post on the Srt4 forums with my timeslip and call him out. He posted him slip and apologized for the misunderstanding (I actually beat him in the 1/4 on paper due to my 1+ second reaction time).. ended up being a cool guy after that.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Datona Jess

Great read
Thanks for the entertainment
Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Lawy'dU

silly ricer in his wannabe rx7
Old 07-30-2007, 11:13 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rev
I can hardly believe that the RX-8 costs the same as a base model Z and is considered a sports car!
its a sports car by design and will out handle any 350z
Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
its a sports car by design and will out handle a 350z STOCK FOR STOCK
fixed
Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 AM
z-u-later

In autocross, the RX8 is well-respected in B Class. Click on the link below for the 2006 SCCA Solo National Championships. Although a 350Z was in 2nd place, the RX8 dominated this class, to include 1st place.

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...0Nationals.pdf
Old 07-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Auto-X is mostly slower, tight turns, in high speed long sweepers they are both amazing handling cars. In either case the cars are so close it would come down to the driver. But who cares, this isnt a handling debate anyway.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
VitViper

Originally Posted by Alberto
Auto-X is mostly slower, tight turns, in high speed long sweepers they are both amazing handling cars. In either case the cars are so close it would come down to the driver. But who cares, this isnt a handling debate anyway.
And no one's going to argue the rx8 is better in slower, tighter turns -- the car IS lighter. Given a road course with plenty of straights mixed in with high speed sweepers, I'll put my money on the 350.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:31 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Alberto
Well, I don't think Mazda built the RX8 to be a drag racer either so I'm not sure why the debate about 1/4 mile times . . .
Old 07-30-2007, 12:31 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by VitViper
I ask him... "why?". Point at his car and go "15 second car", point at my car and go "13 second car". He waves me off and goes "whatever, they both run even times!" Now I'm not sure if he was implying my 350 was a 15 second car or what, but I laughed him off and go "ok, whatever". I let him arrange the race with the officials. I tell the VR4 driver "Watch me smoke this kid". He responds, "Do it", with a grin. We stage... I take my time with the lights (this is head to head racing) and still manage an r/t of .026 vs his .011. I was in no hurry... I simply left the line nice and easy so I wouldn't make any mistakes or drop the clutch pedal to the floor. However I pull a 2.27 60ft to his 2.57 so I jump him by a bit... And right off the bat first gear pulls just over a car on him, and after I hit 2nd it was murder she wrote. Poor little RX8 disappeared into my rearview like... well words don't describe.
If anything, I think you're the one who actually initiated the fact that he called you cocky with this statement.

Yes, we know, he's ignorant for thinking he can keep up with an 2007 350Z. Even with my 2006 G35 Coupe, I easily outpace them. But RX8's aren't really straight line cars; they're just too underpowered for that.

But if anyone ever asks me to run with them at the track, no matter if they're 13/14/15, even 16 second cars, I never mind. I don't think I'll ever have to attitude to state "Why? My car's a 14 second car, yours a 15 second car"

I love having fun in the drag strip. Whether its walking a 16 second car, or getting murdered by a 12 second car, it really doesn't matter to me. I love the fact that MOST of the drag racers around here (Young & old, domestic or import) are really cool with everyone. That's the way it should be

PS. You will always find an ignorant person in the track. Best solution is to let the car do all the talking

Old 07-30-2007, 12:46 PM
VitViper

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
If anything, I think you're the one who actually initiated the fact that he called you cocky with this statement.

Yes, we know, he's ignorant for thinking he can keep up with an 2007 350Z. Even with my 2006 G35 Coupe, I easily outpace them. But RX8's aren't really straight line cars; they're just too underpowered for that.

But if anyone ever asks me to run with them at the track, no matter if they're 13/14/15, even 16 second cars, I never mind. I don't think I'll ever have to attitude to state "Why? My car's a 14 second car, yours a 15 second car"

I love having fun in the drag strip. Whether its walking a 16 second car, or getting murdered by a 12 second car, it really doesn't matter to me. I love the fact that MOST of the drag racers around here (Young & old, domestic or import) are really cool with everyone. That's the way it should be

PS. You will always find an ignorant person in the track. Best solution is to let the car do all the talking

I used to visit the track with a 15 second car, so I know where you're coming from. I enjoy racing and a lot of the people I meet are really cool to talk to no matter what car they're driving.

This kid came off as Billy Bad@ss so I returned the attitude. Probably not the best way of handling it, but oh well. It made my night and I don't regret it. Made plenty of new "friends" that were a lot friendlier than boy racer in his RX8.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:57 PM
skaterbasist

I used to visit the track with a 15 second car, so I know where you're coming from. I enjoy racing and a lot of the people I meet are really cool to talk to no matter what car they're driving.

This kid came off as Billy Bad@ss so I returned the attitude. Probably not the best way of handling it, but oh well. It made my night and I don't regret it. Made plenty of new "friends" that were a lot friendlier than boy racer in his RX8.
Well, I've never had a 15 second car, but I see your point.

If the kid came in with a tough guy attitude, then im guessing he learned his lesson for now

Old 07-30-2007, 01:20 PM
VitViper

If the kid came in with a tough guy attitude, then im guessing he learned his lesson for now
It was more of a "oh sweet, I'm going to put the smack down on a Z" attitude
Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 PM
skaterbasist

It was more of a "oh sweet, I'm going to put the smack down on a Z" attitude
I bet his look was priceless during the run

Honeslty, I bet those cars are pretty damn fun. I've always had a thing for high reving engines due to the fact that climbing all the way past 8000 RPMS sounds like a ton of fun.

But like I've said, they're a bit underpowered. The S2000 is much more evenly balanced when it comes to handling & acceleration than the RX8.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:31 PM
VitViper

I bet his look was priceless during the run
He wasn't very happy... lol

Honeslty, I bet those cars are pretty damn fun. I've always had a thing for high reving engines due to the fact that climbing all the way past 8000 RPMS sounds like a ton of fun.

But like I've said, they're a bit underpowered. The S2000 is much more evenly balanced when it comes to handling & acceleration than the RX8.

Agree with you there completely.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:26 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The guy sounded like a complete tool, a 4 door car is NOT a sports car. I guess there isn't much you can say to retards like that though.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by SirSpeedyZ
The guy sounded like a complete tool, a 4 door car is NOT a sports car. I guess there isn't much you can say to retards like that though.
Of course not all 2 door cars are sports cars either. (See sig)
Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SirSpeedyZ
4 door sports cars do exists

Quick Reply: RX8 owner calls me cocky