Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Ran a new personal best (maybe forum best) BONE STOCK!

Old 04-05-2004, 08:31 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best trap slip....ran rucorey (AEM intake, Crawford Plenum v. 1.0, TS ECU, SES Cat-back and I think a pully). I'm convinced that the AEM intake's long intake path and the turbulence than the version 1 crawford plenum creates cancelled out the gains of the other mods....just my theory.
Attached Thumbnails Ran a new personal best (maybe forum best) BONE STOCK!-1375.jpg  
Old 04-06-2004, 06:23 AM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. I think the closest track to me is about a 100 miles. It snowed here again...I'm going to have to wait till the summer.

So Bri, you never reset your ECU, or prep the ECU for hard driving?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:56 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by phile
Nice. I think the closest track to me is about a 100 miles. It snowed here again...I'm going to have to wait till the summer.

So Bri, you never reset your ECU, or prep the ECU for hard driving?
Nope...never have been an advocate of the "reset ecu" for best gains when modding either....

I never reset my ECU after installing mods on my 97 maxima...and still hold one of the better N/A 1/4 mile times and traps.

I don't think the ECU adjusts the amount of power the car makes based on your driving. I've heard of automatic trasmission cars learning your driving habits and adjusting shift points...but that's about it.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:45 AM
jackie chan

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Best trap slip....ran rucorey (AEM intake, Crawford Plenum v. 1.0, TS ECU, SES Cat-back and I think a pully). I'm convinced that the AEM intake's long intake path and the turbulence than the version 1 crawford plenum creates cancelled out the gains of the other mods....just my theory.
no offense to the other guy, but with a 2.4 60' he has some driving issues. ive been there so please dont take it personal, but with a better driver that car will trap a lot higher imo
Old 04-06-2004, 12:37 PM
blubyu

Originally posted by jackie chan
no offense to the other guy, but with a 2.4 60' he has some driving issues. ive been there so please dont take it personal, but with a better driver that car will trap a lot higher imo
well no doubt his car would be faster with a better lauch considering he gained almost 1.5mph more in the last 1/8th than Brian.

I have to say 103 is damn impressive for a stock Z, hell the highest I've seen in my area is 101 modded which is poor for the cars power output. When you going to mod that thing Brian? you have a pretty strong running Z.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:55 PM
zillinois

Brian, are you going out there again this Saturday? I've got CPR training in Rockford in the morning, but I'm thinking about sneaking out there in the afternoon.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:23 PM
phile

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
Nope...never have been an advocate of the "reset ecu" for best gains when modding either....

I never reset my ECU after installing mods on my 97 maxima...and still hold one of the better N/A 1/4 mile times and traps.

I don't think the ECU adjusts the amount of power the car makes based on your driving. I've heard of automatic trasmission cars learning your driving habits and adjusting shift points...but that's about it.
How would you explain the inconsistent gains, and gains that seemed to have come and gone with exhaust and intake mods? I guess I don't really know where I sit in the issue. However, it seems like my car doesn't accelerate up to par sometimes (like if i've spent all week driving back-and-forth to school, shifting on avg. around 2500rpms). Usually if I drive it hard, park it home and shut it off, it seems a little more aggressive when I go out and dive it hard again later on. Maybe it's all in my head. I'm willing to admit that
Old 04-06-2004, 03:20 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

How would you explain the inconsistent gains, and gains that seemed to have come and gone with exhaust and intake mods? I guess I don't really know where I sit in the issue. However, it seems like my car doesn't accelerate up to par sometimes (like if i've spent all week driving back-and-forth to school, shifting on avg. around 2500rpms). Usually if I drive it hard, park it home and shut it off, it seems a little more aggressive when I go out and dive it hard again later on. Maybe it's all in my head. I'm willing to admit that
I don't consider dyno's a very accurate measure of gains and losses if not done on the same day...I worry more about how much higher my car will trap in the 1/4 mile with the mod than what it puts down on a dyno.

I do know that if I drive my car a lot...it feels slower due to the fact that I've been in it so much that my body and brain just get used to it. If I let it sit in the garage for a few days...and then drive it...BOY does it feel quicker. It's all in your head.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:26 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by blubyu
well no doubt his car would be faster with a better lauch considering he gained almost 1.5mph more in the last 1/8th than Brian.

hmm...I didn't notice that before..looks like his car potentially does have more top end than mine...that's a good sign considering his mods.

I have to say 103 is damn impressive for a stock Z, hell the highest I've seen in my area is 101 modded which is poor for the cars power output. When you going to mod that thing Brian? you have a pretty strong running Z.
I'll start modding this spring...nothing major until I get either the ATI or Vortech blower kit. Probably just intake and cat-back until then...maybe some high flow cats or something.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:28 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by zillinois
Brian, are you going out there again this Saturday? I've got CPR training in Rockford in the morning, but I'm thinking about sneaking out there in the afternoon.
Not this saturday...but next saturday (17th)...I'll have my bike out there trying to get into the 10s...
Old 04-06-2004, 03:40 PM
phile

When I start the car up in semi-cold conditions, the idle stays at like 1200rpm. I don't warm my car up either, so when I drive it it's very zippy. The car feels like it has a noticeable amount of extra power. I wonder why exactly?

Anyways, although I have experimented with it a few times, I don't practice driving the car hard when the engine is cold. The reason I don't warm the car up is because I read a whole article duscussing why warming up a car was bad on the engine. So I let it run for ~20 seconds, and I drive very conservatively (usually keeping shifts at 2krpms till the car gets warm).
Old 04-06-2004, 04:05 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

When I start the car up in semi-cold conditions, the idle stays at like 1200rpm. I don't warm my car up either, so when I drive it it's very zippy. The car feels like it has a noticeable amount of extra power. I wonder why exactly?

Anyways, although I have experimented with it a few times, I don't practice driving the car hard when the engine is cold. The reason I don't warm the car up is because I read a whole article duscussing why warming up a car was bad on the engine. So I let it run for ~20 seconds, and I drive very conservatively (usually keeping shifts at 2krpms till the car gets warm).
I never let my car sit and idle at start up. It's a waste of gas, and even though it won't hurt anything it's useless. I let it run for about 30 seconds...and then drive it nice until the oil pressure drops under 30psi at idle (warm oil not just warm coolant is important).

The car will be faster when it's relatively cold...because the engine and intake manifold aren't heat soaked yet.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Vish

wow awesome driving. Were you power shifting? I am not exactly sure how that works or if it is faster.
BTW my 60 ft was 2.2 and I only ran a 14.9@94 at 500' elevation.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:56 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Vish
wow awesome driving. Were you power shifting? I am not exactly sure how that works or if it is faster.
BTW my 60 ft was 2.2 and I only ran a 14.9@94 at 500' elevation.
No power shifting....14.9@94?!?!?!? Were you shifting @ 5500rpms or something?

I was @ over 600' elevation...
Old 04-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Vish

No power shifting....14.9@94?!?!?!? Were you shifting @ 5500rpms or something?
no I actually felt like it was a pretty clean run, there have been a few 350Z's out there none of them have ever ran better than 14.9 and they run 14.9 very very consistently just ask BluZee
BTW the track is Penwell in West Texas
Old 04-08-2004, 07:22 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

no I actually felt like it was a pretty clean run, there have been a few 350Z's out there none of them have ever ran better than 14.9 and they run 14.9 very very consistently just ask BluZee
BTW the track is Penwell in West Texas
That's messed up dude...BY FAR the slowest traps I've seen for a Z was 99mph...
Old 04-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Vish

That's messed up dude...BY FAR the slowest traps I've seen for a Z was 99mph...
thats weird I wonder why our cars are running so poorly.
my car has ran a 13.9 G-tech, but i am not really sure how accurate those are.
do you get any wheel hop at the track?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:47 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

do you get any wheel hop at the track?
yes...on launch and on the 1-2 shift...but that won't affect trap speeds...
Old 04-08-2004, 07:50 PM
BluZee

The elevation here is 3000ft+ and the air density most of the time makes it more like 4000-5000. Everyones car runs slower here.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Vish

The elevation here is 3000ft+ and the air density most of the time makes it more like 4000-5000. Everyones car runs slower here.
oops my bad 5000 not 500

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ran a new personal best (maybe forum best) BONE STOCK!