Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

have any drifters put a turbo on their z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 09:56 AM
aaronlosey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have any drifters put a turbo on their z?

i'm starting to contemplate a turbo on my stock z ( just an lsd and lots of wheels and tires so far ) and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with it yet. i figure a bigger radiator, oil cooler, bigger ps cooler, add turbo kit, and leave everything else alone. my question is, how many people have been drifting the crap out of their cars with a turbo? has it lasted? i'm looking for mid 300s to the wheels.

i'd ask this in the FI section, but i don't think most of those people flog their cars like drifters do. i go try to make at least 2 drift days a month, and go through about 4-6 new rear tires at each drift day. that means the turbo kit and engine would have to put up with ALOT of abuse. my last FI drift car was a sc m3, and i blew it up. next came my rb25det car, and a friend wrecked it. i kinda ended up with the z because i ran out of functioning drift cars, and was missing events. anyways, who has a turbo kit on their drift car?
Old 07-03-2005, 10:42 AM
dank311

I am in the exact same boat as you. I recently just got my Z, and am very interested in putting a turbo on it. I go to as many drift events as possible, but its usually just once a month, unless I have more money for tires. I am personally looking into the APS single turbo kit after I finished a few bolt on's and suspension work. To my knowledge there aren't many Z drifters that have F/I. I am also only looking for around 350-375rwhp, just to keep things extra safe. But, Im planning to wait this out until I get everything else done on my car first, and see how most of these kits turn out, as well as EMS issues and reliability issues with hard prolong abuse.
I believe a turbo could work on a Z drift car if proper steps were taken. I do know that there are a few people in the F/I section who road race their cars, which also puts alot of abuse on the car. But, I would love to hear from someone who drifts and has any type of F/I (s/c or turbo) on their Z.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:38 PM
dank311

actually, I remember now that falken has a G35 with a Greddy TT kit on it iirc. Also, Tanabe, and signal auto have G35's but don't know if they are turbo'd.
Jon
Old 07-08-2005, 07:21 AM
daytona350z

check out mr. b's ride. the red endless 350z with the big blue panther on the side. he runs the greddy tt.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:28 PM
aaronlosey

i know the falken car is super built up, not stock motor. is the endless car stock motor?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by aaronlosey
i know the falken car is super built up, not stock motor. is the endless car stock motor?
yes, endless car is on a stock motor w/greddy kit. custom technosquare flash for 8psi i believe. no e-manage.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
vipv35

Also, Tanabe, and signal auto have G35's but don't know if they are turbo'd.
i know that signal autos g35 is turbod b/c it has a sr20det in it. they also have an sr powered 350z. they love their srs.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:11 AM
zfastest

Originally Posted by aaronlosey
i'm starting to contemplate a turbo on my stock z ( just an lsd and lots of wheels and tires so far ) and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with it yet. i figure a bigger radiator, oil cooler, bigger ps cooler, add turbo kit, and leave everything else alone. my question is, how many people have been drifting the crap out of their cars with a turbo? has it lasted? i'm looking for mid 300s to the wheels.

i'd ask this in the FI section, but i don't think most of those people flog their cars like drifters do. i go try to make at least 2 drift days a month, and go through about 4-6 new rear tires at each drift day. that means the turbo kit and engine would have to put up with ALOT of abuse. my last FI drift car was a sc m3, and i blew it up. next came my rb25det car, and a friend wrecked it. i kinda ended up with the z because i ran out of functioning drift cars, and was missing events. anyways, who has a turbo kit on their drift car?

Just saw this post. I'm going to kick you in the nuts.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:13 AM
zfastest

You dont need a turbo, you just need to learn how to drive:

Old 07-15-2005, 11:14 PM
POWERSLIDIN

Originally Posted by zfastest
LMAO!
Old 07-17-2005, 07:41 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

theres a guy out here with a stillen seems to work well, what are you trying to do, be competitive or have fun, if you want to have fun, just work on cooling
Old 07-17-2005, 07:54 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by ihatethatbobbarker
theres a guy out here with a stillen seems to work well, what are you trying to do, be competitive or have fun, if you want to have fun, just work on cooling
yea, cooling...i have never seen my power steering fluid bubble like saturday...time to invest in a PS cooler
Old 07-29-2005, 10:18 PM
daytonablu350

i would go with the vortech sc a lot safer
Old 07-29-2005, 10:55 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

havent seen a single z drifting with vortech.
greddy turbo on several, stillen on another, and an ati the blew up
Old 07-30-2005, 11:42 AM
POWERSLIDIN

Originally Posted by ihatethatbobbarker
havent seen a single z drifting with vortech.
greddy turbo on several, stillen on another, and an ati the blew up
Yeah Forsberg's ATI'd VQ blew up but JIC magic's Z runs a Procharger and I think maybe some others. For what it's worth, a lot of stuff has came out since Forsberg blew his Z and swapped to the SR20. New products and R&D are finally starting to make it possible for just about any of the F/I kits available for the Z reliable and tuneable. It just took some time. Then again, if you aren't gonna go inside the engine, you have to know your limits also.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:20 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

i think the JIC z blew as well, i forgot i only saw it drifting a couple times.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:44 PM
aaronlosey

i'm inching towards turboing the z at the moment. i could stuff my rb25 into a 240 and go from there, but i'm getting very comfortable in my z, and i really like the platform for drifting. it just needs more power! and angle. and ebrake.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:10 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

i dont want the weight from the turbos

stroker would be ideal but money makes me lean toward the hks
Old 07-31-2005, 05:05 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zfastest
what's THAT about?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:06 AM
zfastest

Originally Posted by Z BOY
what's THAT about?
Aaron knows what that's about....I'm competing in the Formula Drift Championship with my Z and need (forced induction) power more then anybody in the whole wide world, yet don't have the funds for a turbo kit, and my sponsors so far haven't been able to spend the money to get me one.

Aaron on the other hand is a good friend of mine who is in the fortunate position to be able to buy a kit....yet he's just having fun with his Z, while I'm trying to turn driving into a career. And he constantly teases me with statements like "Ohh, I think I'm going to order a turbo, that'll be fun!".....while I make statements like "I need a turbo so bad I would do dirty things for one".

....plus it's just really fun to kick him in the nuts.

By the way, the Battle Version inner tie rods have been installed and they are simply amazing.