Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

240 to 350z drift questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:01 PM
HATED1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 to 350z drift questions.

Hey Guys well i just got a couple questions and was just wondering what some of your inputs are. This would go out particularly to those who have drifted an s13 chasis before. With my modded s13 (coils, Sr, LSD) i was able to get quite a bit of angle and find it easier to initiate drifts. I have an 06 base which will soon receive an aftermarket LSD but am wondering is it possible to get as much angle with the 350z? with just coils, and a diff? I have seen and searched for vids on youtube but a lot of the lightly modded z's drifting don't carry that much angle through a turn. Any input would be much appreciative.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Nackers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tie rods (with spacers) and cut down the steering stopper a bit.

I too went from the S13 in all trims with various mods and by far the Z is waayyy better.

Only a few things different between the 2 that I've noticed so far:

-Z has loads more torque then any stock/mild stock SR

-With the 6 speed transmission, I tend to use 3rd where others in S-chassis are using 2nd.

- It seems the Z grips a hell of a lot more and even accelerates while sideways. This is why I usually use 3rd gear cause in 2nd, I'm out of gear before I'm finished with the corner.

- The handbrake is **** in stock form. I have a post about my modification that helped a ton.

-The car is much heavier and you feel it for sure, but it is totally controllable and even helps when you feint.

Besides for upgrading your coilovers and LSD, I've heard from lots of guys that there are 2 major upgrades you want to do above all else:

1. Baffeled oil pan
It seems that under heavy g-forces, the factory oil pan lets oil get away from the pickup.
2. Sway bars
I've been told (haven't experienced it myself cause I bought the car with sway bars on it already) that the Z with factory sway bars tends to understeer quite often. Sway bars coupled with a nice coilover and suspension tune should make the Z really wake up.

I'm running what I believe to be stock struts/springs, hotkish sway bars, tein tie rods, and a nismo lsd. I'm looking to get a set of stance coilovers in the next couple months, hopefully before the first drift day. I notice that the suspension is a bit sloppy in comparison to the S13's I've owned with stance/tein coilovers, but I think it just adds to that rear grip I was talking about which makes the car so quick.

For me, it was a pretty easy switch and I would do it again. Hope that helps.

Z > S-chassis imo.

Last edited by Nackers; 02-23-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 PM
HATED1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info, very much appreciated.