Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Tires size

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:58 AM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires size

I have some questions about tires size for drifting. If i drift, it's most likely that i'll use the stock front wheels, 225/45/18. For rear, if i get an extra set of 17" rims, should i look for wide rims like 9 inches, or will 17" 350z stock rims will be fine with 225/50 tires. It's easy to find 17" stock rims but hard to find wider rims for cheap.
Are 225 tires wide enough on the front to have enough traction to keep the car in line at high speed?
Would using 245 in the rear would have no real difference in using 225 for drifting?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 PM
JDMStanced

no one?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,654 Posts

If your running stock 18's for drifting i would run 245/40 front and rear or 245/40 front and 245/45 rear.

17's i don't know.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by terrasmak
If your running stock 18's for drifting i would run 245/40 front and rear or 245/40 front and 245/45 rear.

17's i don't know.
I would definately use 17" for drift. Why would you use 245 on stock rims? Wouldn't there more wall flex if you go wider on narrow rims?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
skakemokid

Whats the price difference between the 17 inch tires and the 18 inch tires. I drift with 235/40/18 and get them for 75 a piece. i still dont know if running a 50 sidewall would be that great.. I'm new to sport, so im not to sure.
Where you from ? you from socal?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by skakemokid
Whats the price difference between the 17 inch tires and the 18 inch tires. I drift with 235/40/18 and get them for 75 a piece. i still dont know if running a 50 sidewall would be that great.. I'm new to sport, so im not to sure.
Where you from ? you from socal?
I believe there's a quite alot of difference in amount between 17 and 18. Especially when you use up a lot of tires, little money build up. $75 a piece?! What brand and where??

I live in Irvine. Socal.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 AM
skakemokid

Shitty brand man, but for practice, and for rear tires, who gives a whoot.. lol. Just something to get you some seat time. And i can get them from the tire guy by my house.
I live in south central.
When you planning on tracking it?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 AM
JDMStanced

Shitty brand man, but for practice, and for rear tires, who gives a whoot.. lol. Just something to get you some seat time. And i can get them from the tire guy by my house.
I live in south central.
When you planning on tracking it?
I have no money saved so no plan on going to track this year. when I do save money, I don't know know if I should drop the car or buy an extra pair of wheel. I can't afford everyhing lol
Old 09-14-2010, 02:43 PM
skakemokid

Its an addicting sport man. Your going to need an extra "set" of wheels, not an extra pair. Diff is the first thing you should get alongside your rims. Then move your way to suspension, and other things.
Get a extra pair of stockies, just in case you dont like it.
Pm me..
Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM
JDMStanced

Its an addicting sport man. Your going to need an extra "set" of wheels, not an extra pair. Diff is the first thing you should get alongside your rims. Then move your way to suspension, and other things.
Get a extra pair of stockies, just in case you dont like it.
Pm me..
drifting is an addictive sport, damn. I'm a college student and for me, getting a diff itself would kill my little savings. I might get the springs first then wait a few month till I grow money. I don't have a job so it sucks even more.
how long usually the front tires last for drifting?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 PM
MPD47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have a job, and you're in college, forget about drifting for the time being and concentrate on what's important.

Blunt? Yes, truthful as well.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 PM
JDMStanced

ofc I can't drift like the guys who have jobs and graduated college but I can still drift from. time to time. now that you know my situation, do you still think I should get a set of rims and diff ? lol or just drop the car and get a pair of rims?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 PM
skakemokid

Dude .. to be honest.. Unless you have the min of 400 bucks a month.. Its hard to drift. And thats for only one track day. Like i said pm me. We can chat about this.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Bigalow

OP, drifting is a crazy expensive sport man. I've spent A LOT of money on crap for my car and my list still goes on.... Of course it depends on how into you are and you seem like you just wanna mess around and not take things too seriously.

If that's the case then, yes, you'll need suspension mods. I'm a novice and there's people that have waayy more experience than me (Mike being one of them) but I see that you'll need the following for occasional drifting:

Suspension mods (almost anyone at any level needs these)-
-You'll need to get things secured in the REAR so lock out washers should be good for you.
-You might want to invest in some cost-effective camber/toe arms (depends on how often you drift). SPC is a decent company that makes affordable parts
-coilovers. you won't need them for your seldom drifting.
-lowing your veh. F#$ DAT.
-FRONT suspension, you should be fine (unless you have one of those Z's with the tire feathering problem).
-Swaybars. you'll be fine with stock and the stock strut bar.
-You're fine with your stock VLSD. Only change if you have: more time, more money, and/or more serious about drifiting

POWER (stay N/A. I went F/I and now I'm overpowered)-
-get a MD basic 5/16th plenum spacer.
-exhaust. Your choice here but I say don't need that. The 220'ish stock rwhp should be enough for you.

FLUIDS-
-The VLSD's fluid (MOST IMPORTANT) will need to be changed. I wouldn't penny-pitch here. You'll need something that can with-stand the heat being generated and still take you to school/work the next day.
-Engine oil (IMPORTNAT) You're fine with whatever brand you decide on.
-TRANS fluid (NOT AS IMPORTANT) stock is fine yet NISSAN doesn't make this fluid for our Zs anymore. I went Motul and loved it but it's up to you.

WHEELS/TIRES-
-stay with 17s. If you have 18s that's fine but 17s are cheaper (wheels/tires), easier for the Z to spin around, etc.
-you probably have 8.0 wide wheels. that's ok but 8.5/9.0 are better. I love the way 245/40s feel but you can go wider (dependent on the wheels). I have a lot of rwhp so JasonZ-YA recommends that I only run 245s in the front and 245-265 in the rear. Sometimes your tire size is dependent on the price/availability you get from used tires shops.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:20 AM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by Bigalow
OP, drifting is a crazy expensive sport man. I've spent A LOT of money on crap for my car and my list still goes on.... Of course it depends on how into you are and you seem like you just wanna mess around and not take things too seriously.

If that's the case then, yes, you'll need suspension mods. I'm a novice and there's people that have waayy more experience than me (Mike being one of them) but I see that you'll need the following for occasional drifting:

Suspension mods (almost anyone at any level needs these)-
-You'll need to get things secured in the REAR so lock out washers should be good for you.
-You might want to invest in some cost-effective camber/toe arms (depends on how often you drift). SPC is a decent company that makes affordable parts
-coilovers. you won't need them for your seldom drifting.
-lowing your veh. F#$ DAT.
-FRONT suspension, you should be fine (unless you have one of those Z's with the tire feathering problem).
-Swaybars. you'll be fine with stock and the stock strut bar.
-You're fine with your stock VLSD. Only change if you have: more time, more money, and/or more serious about drifiting

POWER (stay N/A. I went F/I and now I'm overpowered)-
-get a MD basic 5/16th plenum spacer.
-exhaust. Your choice here but I say don't need that. The 220'ish stock rwhp should be enough for you.

FLUIDS-
-The VLSD's fluid (MOST IMPORTANT) will need to be changed. I wouldn't penny-pitch here. You'll need something that can with-stand the heat being generated and still take you to school/work the next day.
-Engine oil (IMPORTNAT) You're fine with whatever brand you decide on.
-TRANS fluid (NOT AS IMPORTANT) stock is fine yet NISSAN doesn't make this fluid for our Zs anymore. I went Motul and loved it but it's up to you.

WHEELS/TIRES-
-stay with 17s. If you have 18s that's fine but 17s are cheaper (wheels/tires), easier for the Z to spin around, etc.
-you probably have 8.0 wide wheels. that's ok but 8.5/9.0 are better. I love the way 245/40s feel but you can go wider (dependent on the wheels). I have a lot of rwhp so JasonZ-YA recommends that I only run 245s in the front and 245-265 in the rear. Sometimes your tire size is dependent on the price/availability you get from used tires shops.
Thx so much for your long suggestions Although i won't be able to take drifting as serious as you can but I WILL take things seriously if i'm on track trying to learn. I'm not going to be like doing burn outs to show off to waste the tires. It'll take awhile to become good but later on, i'm planning to go to smalll events.
As for suspension, i think i'll save up some bucks for cheap coilovers even it takes a while to get.
These are the mods i got, MD plenum spacer, JWT popcharger, SS clutch line with new DOT 4 fluid, HR y-pipe. To me, i feel the need for more power
Fluids, I have Amsoil fluid in the diff. Changed not too long ago. Yesterday, i changed my engine oil to Castrol 0w-30 with Bosche oil filter !!woohooo
As for the wheels, I'm thinking of something like 9.5 to 10 wide rims and get like 225 or 245/50/17 tires like Miata drifters. If the tires are somewhat stretched like this, high tire walls wouldn't be an issue like 50 profiles. If the total diameter don't match with the front, then i can get something like 245/55/17. Do you recommend this?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Bigalow

^^^

9.5 and 10 are awefully wide for 225/245. Honestly, that staggard tire setup is poop even for a stock Z. You'll have a better time with 245/265.

I don't like running anything higher than 45. Is there any particular reason that you want to run higher profiles? Your car isn't built like a Miata so I suggest you read through wheels/tires section to see what Z owners are running for their N/As.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:52 PM
JDMStanced

^^^

9.5 and 10 are awefully wide for 225/245. Honestly, that staggard tire setup is poop even for a stock Z. You'll have a better time with 245/265.

I don't like running anything higher than 45. Is there any particular reason that you want to run higher profiles? Your car isn't built like a Miata so I suggest you read through wheels/tires section to see what Z owners are running for their N/As.
The reason i want 50 profile is that I'm going to be running 225/45/18 on the FRONT. So i have to match the height for rear and front. So i'm thinking of 225/50/18 pretty stretched. The reason for wanting little stretched tires is that since the profile is high, i want to minimize the wall flex by having little bit of stretch.
What set up do you recommend for rear with front 225/45/18?
Sometimes 245/45/18 for front and how about rear?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Bigalow

Originally Posted by 350zRiot
The reason i want 50 profile is that I'm going to be running 225/45/18 on the FRONT. So i have to match the height for rear and front. So i'm thinking of 225/50/18 pretty stretched. The reason for wanting little stretched tires is that since the profile is high, i want to minimize the wall flex by having little bit of stretch.
Putting a 225/50 on a 9" is a horrible idea. I understand you want to minimize flexing but that shouldn't be your chief concern at this point in the game. You're a novice so you should be more concerned with alignment control - i.e. suspension. The suggestions I wrote up top are sorta setup in levels that you should focus on before you move to the next level. know what I mean?

Besides, you may/may not be going fast enough to impede your driving because of tire flexing. Also, drifting tires are sometimes dependent on what rubber you can get your hand on. For example, today (Drift Water 8) I was running 235/45/18 in the front and 245/40, 255/40/, 265/35 in the rear respectively.

What set up do you recommend for rear with front 225/45/18?
I don't. F-- 225 in the front. I don't understand why Nissan made that stock. Maybe cheaper - i dunno.

Sometimes 245/45/18 for front and how about rear?
If we're still talking about drifting then anything 245 or higher. sidewall can be vary but matching it is probably best.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM
MPD47

I don't. F-- 225 in the front. I don't understand why Nissan made that stock. Maybe cheaper - i dunno.
So the car would understeer on entry, forcing the driver to slow down. Most factory cars come setup (alignment/tires) for understeer these days to "protect" the consumer.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:26 PM
JDMStanced

Putting a 225/50 on a 9" is a horrible idea. I understand you want to minimize flexing but that shouldn't be your chief concern at this point in the game. You're a novice so you should be more concerned with alignment control - i.e. suspension. The suggestions I wrote up top are sorta setup in levels that you should focus on before you move to the next level. know what I mean?

Besides, you may/may not be going fast enough to impede your driving because of tire flexing. Also, drifting tires are sometimes dependent on what rubber you can get your hand on. For example, today (Drift Water 8) I was running 235/45/18 in the front and 245/40, 255/40/, 265/35 in the rear respectively.

If we're still talking about drifting then anything 245 or higher. sidewall can be vary but matching it is probably best.
I'm going to just keep the suspension stock until i can afford coilover because i want to lock up all the suspension bolts so that there's less change in alignment during drifting.
So 8.5 wide would be the general size for my rear? IMO, 9 wide would be a wise choice for long run because i can prolly put 235/50, 245, 255 and still have less wall flex. Since i'm running 45 profile for front, i have to run 50 profile rear.

Quick Reply: Tires size