Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Rader Detector status in Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 10:12 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rader Detector status in Ontario

Last I heard, they were illegal in Ontario.

Will they fine you? Take points off? Confiscate the rader itself?

Anyone have a radar detector?

Are there good radar detectors that cops can't detect?
Old 04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
loulinjai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fine you and confiscate the detector, take a picture of you. if you get caught a second time (judged by their picture), you will be put in jail for a short time (dunno exactly). you may not be able to get your drivers license for up to three yrs
Old 04-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Phaneom

Yes they are Illegal in Ontario. I got pulled over last year for having one. You don't get any demerit points, but you do get a ticket. OHHHH and insurance will hate you!!!! I'm not to sure what Loulinjai is talking about when he says they will take a picture of you??????

Last edited by Phaneom; 04-24-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:30 PM
rzua5

Just curious, are those radar that can be bought in the state useful here? I dunno if cops here have the same radar band than in the states. Also how do they find out you have a detector?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:58 PM
ZlleH

Because some cops have radar detector detectors

I asked this question because in the states, they always talk about these radars that are undetectables, but some states don't have laws on rader detectors so who knows. Just curious as to what the status was in Ontario at this time.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Phaneom

The radar detector that I had was an older one. That is why I got caught. But I can say that it did save me a few times. I would think the new ones are much better, So there is only one way to find out, go buy one. I was actually thinking of getting another one.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:24 PM
cessna

I`ve got two....

A good one (that I use) and a pos one that I would give to a cop if I were caught.....

Up to now, I havent had any problems as long as you unplug it as soon as it goes off......
Old 04-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Phaneom

Thats a good idea having two. To bad my old one was taken away. What is the cheapest one that can be bought? Maybe I should buy one good, and one cheap. It would really suck to give a cop one of those expensive units. Cessna which detector are you using, and how long have you had it?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:08 PM
ZlleH

I'm sure ebay have tons of cheap radar detectors, some probably don't even work and is just like $10.

Originally Posted by Phaneom
Thats a good idea having two. To bad my old one was taken away. What is the cheapest one that can be bought? Maybe I should buy one good, and one cheap. It would really suck to give a cop one of those expensive units. Cessna which detector are you using, and how long have you had it?
Old 04-27-2006, 05:11 PM
rzua5

Speaking of which, i just got caught speeding yesterday...bastard..the cops hide behind a bus stop and clocked me.... Now I think I need a radar now damn so pissed at myself. FYI i ran 119KM on a 70 zone...Right at the time i was thinking my insurance was gonna lowered this year for god sake..=P
Old 04-28-2006, 07:00 AM
Keltin13

Yeah well time to fight it, and hopefully the cop won't show up in court
Originally Posted by rzua5
Speaking of which, i just got caught speeding yesterday...bastard..the cops hide behind a bus stop and clocked me.... Now I think I need a radar now damn so pissed at myself. FYI i ran 119KM on a 70 zone...Right at the time i was thinking my insurance was gonna lowered this year for god sake..=P
Old 04-28-2006, 07:06 AM
cessna

Originally Posted by Phaneom

I`ve got a Valentine 1 (My good one) and a crap beltronics.....
The trick is to un-plug the unit as soon as it goes off.... the OPP have radar detector, detectors!!! (No joke)

I`ve gotten stopped twice now for it.... the first time, I gave the cop my crappy one and that was that (Most cops will tell you to hand it over, and they`ll confiscate it, and wont give you a fine (its 600+ $ now).....

The last time I got `nabbed' I was on the 401 just before Pickering and when I gave the officer my crappy one..... "Sir why is this unit cold"?..... "Give me the other one before I haul your azz to the Don Jail for obstruction of justice!".....

Well, they caught me that time and took both away.....

I recieved my new (updated) Valentine 1 and crap beltronics one last month.... so far so good....
Old 05-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Rollin

I have a friend that is OPP.. there is no radar detector that he cant detect.. he says if you have one.. he knows it.. they need to make a scrambler/ radar detector.. lol
Old 05-20-2006, 07:39 AM
RaDaRkInG

Originally Posted by Rollin
I have a friend that is OPP.. there is no radar detector that he cant detect.. he says if you have one.. he knows it.. they need to make a scrambler/ radar detector.. lol
Wrong, the new $449.95 Beltronics STi Driver is undetectable by current RDD's that the police have in the world.

http://www.beltronics.com/sti.html

http://www.speedzones.com/smlTests.html