Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

how was your drive in today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:04 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by optimumarc
Well to each his own I guess. Here is some useful reading.

http://www.wheels.ca/article/22080

Due to new technologies and better engineered cars, they are built to withstand the winters. Being an Engineer I can attest to it.

Again the question: Heated seats and block heater, Why? To add weight and cost to the vehicle, I don't think so.
Yes I've read that article before. It is amusing. The block heater you speak of is there should the 350Z fall into the hands of someone who doesn't care about repeated cold starts from -10 degrees celcius. At least the number of cold starts will be reduced by 1 each day in the morning by some owners who actually care enough to plug it in. Seeing as they actually are apathetic enough to drive the Z in the winter in the first place it is unlikely that they even care enough to use the block heater. So that is a moot point as the motor will still see 4x7x18= 504 cold starts in one winter.
The seat heaters are there for people who have fooled themselves into thinking they don't care about corrosion, carpet deterioration, and paint damage, so that at least they can soothe their tormented souls with toasty butt cheeks.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:52 PM
noodleman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well to each his own I guess. Here is some useful reading.

http://www.wheels.ca/article/22080

Due to new technologies and better engineered cars, they are built to withstand the winters. Being an Engineer I can attest to it.

Again the question: Heated seats and block heater, Why? To add weight and cost to the vehicle, I don't think so.
being an engineer, you should really pay attention to the details. Let's forget the fact that some people really don't like driving RWD cars in the winter slush. not to mention that the white stuff is very adapt at hiding pot holes.

While the Z is not a supercar, many of us has our cars lowered, or have a body kit installed (or both). I'd like to see how new (affordable) technologies or any form of engineering can resolve the issue of low ground clearance when there's a ton of snow on the ground. Not the mention that when there's snow, it's only on the centre of the car as the wheel portions of the lanes are melted.

I agree that our cars are designed well enough that the body itself can withstand the beating of a canadian winter, but there are some fundamental problems of driving a RWD sports car that isn't easily overcome by engineering.

even the article you linked to mentioned that the ride was anything but comfortable. Why bother fighting the steering wheel for an entire winter when you have a perfectly capable winter beater that makes driving in winter weather all that much easier?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 AM
optimumarc

You are not comparing Apples to Apples and Oranges to Oranges here. Cars are normally rolled out of factories without kits or being lowered. There are reasons for this. There are minimum clearance requirements so you don’t knock off your bumper when going over a speed bump.

Taking off a kit for the winter could be a solution, or the front could act as a snow plow if desired. It would make cleaning the driveway much easier that is for sure.

Come on, people have been driving RWD cars for decades in the winter (even before the advent of front wheel drive).

Of course the article does not mention anything about sports cars being comfortable because they are not! If people want a comfortable car then they should go buy another type of car.

There is no reason to get a "winter beater" since I have purchased a purely functional and capable automobile.

You can be an Enthusiast all ready around (see above post). Last time I checked Enthusiasm is not a function of the season you are currently in.

Last edited by optimumarc; 11-26-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:01 AM
2TH PWR

I think you are putting too much weight on that article as a defence of your opinion. The article is obviously written with a facetious tone, and doesn't even take itself entirely seriously. I am an educated person, I understand physics and materials science.
But, it's a well known fact that winters will destroy your car. You either care or you don't. You either choose to do something about it or you don't.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 AM
noodleman

lowered cars can make it over speed bumps..big snow storms generally pile up snow taller than most speed bumps on the road. It is comparing apples to apples, it's still a Z isn't it? Those are one of the people that you suggested to drive it all season long with no worries right?

De-kitting the car every winter doesn't really sound like a viable solution. bolts might strip from repeated mounting and dismounting, not to mention the labour involved in such an exercise. There are no less than 20 tabs/screws for the front bumper alone, and you cannot remove the rear bumper without taking out the taillights first. Lets get into those who have lip kits that are mounted/molded onto oem bumpers.

i'm not saying driving RWD cars are impossible in the winter, but you must agree that it's much safer to drive a FWD car (especially one with less power).

And last I checked, you have NOT purchased a purely functional and capable winter car. The stock Z comes with summer tires that are incapable of dealing with winter weather, meaning you would need winter tires to drive in the winter time. There's a very real possibilty that it is cheaper to buy a winter beater than it is to get a nice set of winter tires.

2TH PWR also mentioned the possiblity of paint damage from the winter months. I hope you enjoy hearing the constant sound of salt chips hitting your front bumper, or the rest of the body causing real possibilities of more paint chips than normal, not to mention damage to the clear coat in general.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:49 AM
optimumarc

It seems that the writer is “pointing” to people who treat their car more than an inanimate object, which obviously it is. People have to accept the notion that it is just car, a nice one but just a car in the end of the day.

Some people buy a "winter beater" for 2000 bucks and drive it in the winter to save their beautiful car from salt, one thing they have ask themselves, is it really safer? How many airbags does it have? Does it have TCS? What other safely features is it missing? Are the panels so corroded that when an accident happens there is no protection at all? Am I really safer in this car over the 20,000+ sitting in the garage?

Salt does destroy your car, but there are materials made to prevent this and slow it (rusting) down considerably. You just have to do you due diligence (i.e. undercoating your car) to prevent the rust. Chips are inevitable and I agree are more prominent in the winter but this also can also be prevented (i.e. buy a bra). There are several ways manufacturers prevent rusting as well, zinc coating, primer and the number of coats of paint.

Most people I know that have kits scrape the speed bumps. They lower their car too much!

De-kitting the car during winter months should not be that difficult, people just have to be careful. Kits that are moulded (post production) into the bumper can not be removed easily, agreed. Another solution is to buy another bumper or not put a kit on a car in the first place. Kits are more aesthetic and do not add much aerodynamic value (unless they are tracked at high speeds).

Agreed that FWD is better then RWD in the winter. But you also have to careful with FWD cars as well. Cars now of these days have a great deal of power (even with FWD); it is just how smart you are in using the power. Cars don’t cause accidents, people in cars do right?

The Z does not come with winter tires because it is marketed as a sports car with the option of driving it in the winter. Driving the car in the winter is a personal preference and Nissan provides consumers with the choice. If you drive the car in the winter, they provided you with heated seats and a block warmer. If not, you have the option to buy the track model or not drive the car at all. In the end of the day, is up to the driver as the car is built for it.

Last edited by optimumarc; 11-26-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:29 AM
noodleman

It seems that the writer is “pointing” to people who treat their car more than an inanimate object, which obviously it is. People have to accept the notion that it is just car, a nice one but just a car in the end of the day.
That's usually what it means to be an enthusiast. it's akin to ferrari owners saying their car have heart and soul, which it clearly doesn't.

Some people buy a "winter beater" for 2000 bucks and drive it in the winter to save their beautiful car from salt, one thing they have ask themselves, is it really safer? How many airbags does it have? Does it have TCS? What other safely features is it missing? Are the panels so corroded when an accident happens there is no protection at all? Am I really safer in this car over the 20,000+ sitting in the garage?
I have seen $2000 beater cars, and they're not rusted through and through. as you have mentioned (even in this post), technology has gone far enough that severe rusting doesn't happen.

Salt does destroy your car, but there are materials made to prevent this and slow it (rusting) down considerably. You just have to do you due diligence (i.e. undercoating your car) to prevent the rust. Chips are inevitable and I agree are more prominent in the winter but this also can also be prevented (i.e. buy a bra). There are several ways manufacturers prevent rusting as well, zinc coating, primer and the number of coats of paint.

Most people I know that have kits scrape the speed bumps. They lower their car too much!

De-kitting the car during winter months should not be that difficult, people just have to be careful. Kits that are moulded (post production) into the bumper can not be removed easily, agreed. Another solution is to buy another bumper or not put a kit on a car in the first place. Kits are more aesthetic and do not add much aerodynamic value (unless they are tracked at high speeds).
The key point here is slowing down. There's just no 100% method of protecting your car from canadian winters period. This is a fact that everyone needs to understand. If you drive it in the winter (heck, even washing your car), you car will have rust on it somewhere. Your clearcoat will erode away from the salt/slush. All the solutions you have provided to drive the car over the winter only minimizes the damage done, and it still costs a ton of money. For all the costs involved in preparing your Z for the winter, you could've spent more on a winter beater with the safety features you want.

Agreed that FWD is better then RWD in the winter. But you also have to careful with FWD cars as well. Cars now of these days have a great deal of power (even with FWD); it is just how smart you are in using the power. Cars don’t cause accidents, people in cars do right?
you have to be careful in any car...the corolla that I drive over the winter has about half the power that my Z has, making it much more managable in the winter time. It's really not about how smart you are in using the power, it's more like given a slipping/accident-about-to-happen scenario, your nerves might get the best of you, causing you to over-do something, which makes matters worse. I don't need pinpoint throttle control when i'm trying to avoid something in my rolla in the winter weather as compared to the Z.

The Z does not come with winter tires because it is marketed as a sports car with the option of driving it in the winter. Driving the car in the winter is a personal preference and Nissan provides consumers with the choice. If you drive the car in the winter, they provided you with heated seats and a block warmer. If not, you have the option to buy the track model or not drive the car at all. In the end of the day, is up to the driver as the car is built for it.
You're absolutely right. it's an option. A personal perference. No one here is denying that the stock Z is some 500hp, completely undrivable car in the winter time. Many of us would a) rather not cause winter damage to the Z, b) have modded the car that makes it unfit to drive in the winter time, c) have another car available to drive over the winter time. I really don't see any valid reasons that you could come up with to drive their Z's over the winter time. No one here is locking down your Z over the winter time, you shouldn't tell people that they should drive theirs.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:42 AM
xdragus

Originally Posted by noodleman
That's usually what it means to be an enthusiast. it's akin to ferrari owners saying their car have heart and soul, which it clearly doesn't.
hey my car might be reading this forum and if she saw this post she would cry.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:56 AM
2TH PWR

Some people buy a "winter beater" for 2000 bucks and drive it in the winter to save their beautiful car from salt, one thing they have ask themselves, is it really safer? How many airbags does it have? Does it have TCS? What other safely features is it missing? Are the panels so corroded that when an accident happens there is no protection at all? Am I really safer in this car over the 20,000+ sitting in the garage?

I bought my slightly used Hyundai Accent "Winter Rally Car" ( I object to the term beater) for 6200 bucks!
1) It's mad pimp
2) It has 2 airbags.
3) It has TCS, my right foot!
4) No rust!
5) It has ABS I think.
6) It's a hatch back so it's mad practical at carrying mad payloads in the summer. My entire HKS exhaust box fit in there. All 4 rims with tires is a breeze.
7) It has crazy powah, and crazy torque, and plows through snow like a ****, and sometimes I still rip the e brake and drift through a parking lot once in a while.

Even though my 350Z is mad old, it's approaching 5 years, everyone thinks it's new.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
optimumarc

Actually, I am not telling people whether or not they should drive their Z in the winter, that is their choice. Perhaps you should consider your choice of words more carefully.
I am just simply stating points they should consider. Whether or not they agree with them is up to them or you to decide.

We are bombarded with massive amounts of information every day. It is up to you and others to process that information consider what is useful and make a decision.

People need to make their own decisions. Mine is to drive my car in winter and yours is not...simple as that.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 AM
2TH PWR

^ I want to buy your Z from you for $20 000 and protect it from the elements.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM
rayzzee

optimumarc,
have you rust check your z, if yes, what did you do...im with you..its just a car...we should have a count of how many days we actually have not driven the car this winter...i see 2th pwr. is located in gods country...where are you...2th pwr, we barley get snow here in toronto... with the number of cars & plows on our roard every day, the snow is gone in hours...if the roads are bad , wait a fews hour and your goood to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
2TH PWR

Originally Posted by rayzzee
optimumarc,
have you rust check your z, if yes, what did you do...im with you..its just a car...we should have a count of how many days we actually have not driven the car this winter...i see 2th pwr. is located in gods country...where are you...2th pwr, we barley get snow here in toronto... with the number of cars & plows on our roard every day, the snow is gone in hours...if the roads are bad , wait a fews hour and your goood to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Since I've moved "up here" it's true, the roads are far far worse, and the snow and salt is just insane.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM
optimumarc

I got it done at Tintmaster. Really nice guys and they did a great job.

Should cost you about $180 taxes in. Did the oil all over (in the doors too) and undercoated it.

www.tintmaster.com

What tires you running?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:13 PM
rayzzee

i got perilli sotto zero ..great tires...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
optimumarc

I hear that they are good! what size? you running 18"?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM
rayzzee

18 front & back19's...06' rims
Old 11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
rayzzee

correction 05' rims
Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
optimumarc

I got the steelies on and cant stand them. Going to put my anniversary rims back on with the some good winters.

Where did you get them?
Old 11-26-2007, 12:45 PM
AdriaN-

I live in Miami so I drive the Z everyday!! =)

Base trim in SoFla FTW!!!

Quick Reply: how was your drive in today?