Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

What you guys saying about Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:07 PM
optimumarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What you guys saying about Brakes?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your posts under the Mod thread.

https://my350z.com/forum/east-canada/332343-2008-mod-plans-2.html)

Thought I might make one just for brakes.

From what I understand, Brembo, Stoptech and AP racing are all good. Is there any others you guys recommend?

Which ones do you have on your cars?

Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:11 PM
XuperXero

AP is pretty overkill unless you're a serious hardcore track driver. Even race cars use Stoptech, the cheaper alternative in the states.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Tubbs

u need Endless

Old 01-31-2008, 09:30 PM
noodleman

it really depends on your needs..are you going to track the car? or is the bbk for show? any BBK is basically overkill for daily driving, but you still don't want to have to doubt the reliability of the brakes. It's not something that you want to fail due to poor qa standards/designs.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:43 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Norm,
Of those three mentioned, I would purchase the one that I could get the best deal on.
You really cant go wrong with any selection out of that group.

If my z did not have brembo's, I would probably go with the Stoptech 355 BBK, it will perform and look great
Old 02-01-2008, 05:08 AM
rzua5

It really comes to what application you really looking for. For price/quality I would go for stoptech, For track and stopping power would definitely be AP racing... for Bling factor there is always Endless and Project Mu...If your stock car dont have brembo, I think anyone of the brand above will do More than enough for daily usage.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 AM
noodleman

Frank, you want some Endless bling and sell me your brembos for cheap right?
Old 02-01-2008, 06:14 AM
optimumarc

So I am looking at StopTech but here are many different types of rotors it seems.

What are better Slotted or Drilled? How about Vented?

I guess Vented dissipates the heat the fastest and wear on the pads are at a minimal. Only issues with them probably are the warpage, since they do not have a very large cross sectional area.

Slotted and Drilled are pretty good for what I hear but brake pad wear is higher.

Does this seem right to you guys? What do you guys recommend?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:04 AM
toples z

If you get slotted & drilled the pad where is def. goint to be worst. the disadvantage with (Drilled) is the rotors are weaker and the advantage is cooling is much better.(not as much heat factor) athe disadvantage with (sloted) is pad and rotor where and the advantage is better grip.
originally i told you that i had the AP (kit) my rotors were drilled & sloted, they were really good put personally for the most part unless i was going to the track the breaks were OVERKILL, but still its nice to know that you have the abillity to stop really well at any speed!!!
Like every one on this thread sais it all depends on what you miney need. if you use your car as a daily driver i would go with the stop-tech.
but if you want to get best bang for your dolla i would try to find a used or new (350/G35 stock brembo) personally i think they do the job just fine. If you end up going with a BBK i would recomend you get 2pc Rotors (regardless of what BBK you get).
Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 AM
isaacbush

slotted here no drilled. big difference more consistant
Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 AM
toples z

i agree i would go only sloted
Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 AM
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

im not really a fan of slotted actually...sure it disipates air from the center of the brake to the outside...but drilled brakes disipate air out through the center of the brake and therefore allowing less chance of cracks...

correct me if im wrong
Old 02-02-2008, 08:17 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some Cross drilled BBK disc develop small cracks in holes....something to think about.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 AM
optimumarc

Sounds like the Stoptech brake system is the most cost effective solution (good performance as well).

I would definitely want a stable setup without any bias.

I found this link where they did some testing.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm#355

What do you guys think?
Old 02-02-2008, 03:20 PM
toples z

if you get 2pc rotors (slotted) the air will still dissipates from the center, + if your really hard on the breaks you have a bigger chance of warping or cracking the drilled rotors since they are weaker, and yeah you will get small cracking around the drilled holes
Old 02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
XuperXero

Slotted ftw...

My setup:
Standard 1 Piston brakes (non-brembo).
Hawk HP+ Pads (street/track compound)
Rotora Slotted rotors
SS lines
Motul RBF600

I can go 10 laps on shannonville's full track without any fade. So 4 pistons might be a little overkill if you arn't planning to track it anymore than I do.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:42 AM
optimumarc

That is pretty good. I might track the car this coming summer so a big brake kit would be nice to have. I am look at the following configuration:

FRONT: 355 x 32 mm Rotor/ 4 Piston Caliper
REAR: 328 x 28 mm Rotor/ 2 Piston Caliper

I guess 355 on the rear would be just overkill and may cause some bias to occour.

Is this a pretty much standard setup?

Any good dealers to get them from here? In Canada maybe?

Thanks!!

Last edited by optimumarc; 02-03-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Smasher

Hey,
I have the Stoptech BB kit front and back. They look great and haul the z to a stop very fast. I got the slotted rotors. I was told the drilled ones could possibly get some small cracks and the slotted offer better stoping pwr. I think if its looks you want the drilled rotors are cool, but if you plan to track it go for the slotted. I heard the drilled help better in the wet but with every day driving i dont think you would notice and diff.

I had mine out for a lapping day last year and breaks were sure nice to have.
When I hit the breaks hard you really have to brace yourself.

The only complaint I have is that mine squeal often on normal street stops. If I stop hard no squeal. It's a real pain in the butt as everyone looks WTF.

I did exactly what they say to break the pads and rotors in and they were fine at first then started to squeal for no reason. I was hoping it would go away after a day at the track but nope. I tried to search on this and from what I can tell some get it but most don't. I will check out the wear and might try new pads or a different brand but I only put these on in July so....

Overall would I recomend. Yes.

Oh and I got mine through JRP here in mississauga. There price was competitive with the best price I could find on line at the time once you factor shipping in etc... Damn US cdn dallar now I could have saved some extra good cash if I bought now.

Last edited by Smasher; 02-03-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:55 AM
rzua5

The squealing sound is from the metalic brake pads... My Spoon brakes squeal like crazy on my endless pads...I agree with you, its pita when you stop and every looks at your like "wtf" haha.... In some sense its good tho, so people will notice your bbk

Originally Posted by Smasher
Hey,
I have the Stoptech BB kit front and back. They look great and haul the z to a stop very fast. I got the slotted rotors. I was told the drilled ones could possibly get some small cracks and the slotted offer better stoping pwr. I think if its looks you want the drilled rotors are cool, but if you plan to track it go for the slotted. I heard the drilled help better in the wet but with every day driving i dont think you would notice and diff.

I had mine out for a lapping day last year and breaks were sure nice to have.
When I hit the breaks hard you really have to brace yourself.

The only complaint I have is that mine squeal often on normal street stops. If I stop hard no squeal. It's a real pain in the butt as everyone looks WTF.

I did exactly what they say to break the pads and rotors in and they were fine at first then started to squeal for no reason. I was hoping it would go away after a day at the track but nope. I tried to search on this and from what I can tell some get it but most don't. I will check out the wear and might try new pads or a different brand but I only put these on in July so....

Overall would I recomend. Yes.

Oh and I got mine through JRP here in mississauga. There price was competitive with the best price I could find on line at the time once you factor shipping in etc... Damn US cdn dallar now I could have saved some extra good cash if I bought now.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:17 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're thinking about developing a forced air front brake ducting upgrade that would duct air from the front bumper to the rotors, similar to our race car.

This would substantially reduce brake temperatures on track days and keep even stock brakes from overheating on many circuits. Is this something you guys would be interested in?

Quick Reply: What you guys saying about Brakes?