Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Kelsey, The Story Of A Racecar *lots of pics/vid*

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008 | 07:06 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Default Kelsey, The Story Of A Racecar *lots of pics/vid*

Guys I thought the east canada section needed some excitement, so I'm going to post updates about our Koni Challenge race car, but first we must start with her history.

Most of you have seen or heard about Kels, but for anyone who hasn't heard her story let me start

Kels started out as a 2003 silverstone trackpack, who was instantly gutted and built along with 2 other cars by Unitech Racing, as hired by Performance Nissan dealership. The cars were built to be run in Koni Challenge, the most competitive showroom stock racing series in North America. Despite being showroom stock, these cars get a lot of development to try and be competitive, esspecially the Nissans - they were at a large disadvantage to the Porsche's and BMWs.

Boris Said was a hired driver to run the car ran a few races, Kels won a race at Miami Homestead. She was then later sold when Performance Nissan stopped running the cars, but her two sisters were bought by a dude named Tommy Constantine and he ran them with sponsorship from Playboy and who knows what else.

Kels was then run in some private races and she went threw the hands of a few owners. She got smashed up, hit a rock, crashed a couple times and wasn't maintained as well as she could have been.

Thats where I come in. We bought the car and fully disassembled the car, lots needed rebuilding. The fuel cell was leaking like crazy, we swapped the motor, diff, fixed the diff cooler, rebuilt the calipers, shocks, changed the spring rates, seat, painted her, and updated the car to 2008 Koni specs.

The Car As Delivered

Refreshed, wheels paint and aerocatch!

Wheres my motor?!

mmm heatsheilding

When you buy a race car with this kind of history you have to understand, you're trying to tame a wild girl who hasn't had much love in her life. Time's were tough, the first time we took the car testing she nearly killed me - every corner. The next time we took her testing she was bad, but at least a little bit better.

Trying to kill me 01

Wild Picture

Then we went to Mosport for the first time. Well if you've ever been to mosport, or know mosport, you know its not the place to sort out an evil car. You see the car had tons of front grip, but the back of the car would just let go visciously, trying to kill myself and anyone who dared to come close to the poor wild girl. However, we managed to place 2nd that race weekend in the GT2 class, she was viscious but still quick, however there was still some time to be made before we were to be competitive in Koni.

Trying To Kill Me 02

We did lots of practice pit stops, as running in Koni challenge requires you to refuel with a drybreak fuel system, change tires, and do a drive change. Koni Challenge is an endurance racing series where the races are between 2 and 6 hours!

Street Car?

Practicing Pit Stops

Before we knew it our time was up! It was time for our first pro race, and we knew we had a car that was going to be 2 seconds off pace for Koni, but we also knew it would be foolish to bring a new team into a professional racing series with a front running car - you've gotta pay your dues so to speak.

To be continued!
Old 12-05-2008 | 08:00 PM
Sickboy101

You must tame the beast (in my best Sean Connery voice)

that was great reading... looking forward to hearing more of Kels adventures... littlest Hobo song... then fade to black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PINxfouNQFw
Old 12-05-2008 | 08:11 PM
goneinsixtyseconds

where's the vids?

FAIL
Old 12-06-2008 | 06:11 AM
nissannx

I've shared the track at lapping days and admired her in the shop. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing her in action in 2009! Keep posting.
Old 12-06-2008 | 07:44 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Sorry! Forgot to add videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhB_f8RvjBA
Video showing how underdamped the rear suspension was, going slowly in some portions due to following another car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-0Fl3CXWx0
Driver Change And Refuel Pitstop x2

Last edited by SGSash; 12-06-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2008 | 08:20 AM
lgear080

great flics and car. more please.
Old 12-06-2008 | 03:00 PM
nissannx

LOL! I like the line through 4 and 5! I've done a few track walks where I looked backwards to view the track - but I think that's the first from inside the wheel well and then from the back wheel! Keep them coming.
Old 12-06-2008 | 03:01 PM
rzua5

Great job Sasha, can't wait to see you in action next year !
Old 12-10-2008 | 06:25 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

So our first pro race was rather exciting, we knew we would be a few seconds off pace which was no big deal, but we weren't quite expecting the seriousness of the race! It was a 3hr endurance race at Mosport back in June. We were pitted with my friend Andrew who was racing in the canadian touring car championship, Andrew was also my codriver for the endurance race!

It was so much fun and such a good experience, the competition is on an entirely different level from regional racing. The car prep, the money, the rigs, the driving, but most importantly the requirement for perfection. To do well, everything must run like clock work. Planning, organization and prep are as important as being able to drive fast.

Andrew Checking Out Kels' Heart

The car must be dialled in and running its best and the drivers must be able to drive within a few tenths of optimal. The crew must be focused and ready to do fast efficient pit stops with no mistakes. The team has to be in sync and everyone has to know their place, prepared for anything.

Unfortunately we weren't at that point, we were like elementary kids at university getting our asses handed to us, but i wouldn't have traded it for anything in the world. Theres nothing like stepping up a notch and realizing how much better you have to be to be competitive. Although - it is sad to see how much money there is in racing, and how little sponsorship is out there. Cars and teams cost a **** ton to run, and there is very little advertising value in most racing in North America (outside of the top open wheel teams and Nascar), so most funding comes from private interests (usually people who own big companies or have a lot of money and nothing to do with it).

Our job is to run on 1/20th the budget of the other big teams, and still be competitive in the top 10. If we can do that, we will consider it a great success!

Our race went well - sortof. Our full fuel cell was splashing a little bit of fuel in corners as we did not have a working check valve, so we were black flagged into the pits. We explained the issue but at that point we had already lost a lap. I found myself in the middle of the ST pack, trying to pass all of these cars that are 1-3 seconds a lap slower than my car (read - not much slower), without getting in their way and screwing up their race!

Black Flagged In The Pits

Being chased by a Mustang about to pass an ST-Class RX-8

We were making up positions as cars crashed and had to pit with problems, and then a full course caution was thrown and we were able to get our lap back! It felt good passing every car and racing around for a lap to re-catch the pack. Before we knew it we were on the lead lap and contending for positions.

Corner 5a entering 5b

Right around half way through the race the caution was thrown and it was pit stop time. A ton of cars prematurely entered the pits and were penalized. We knew not to come in until the 3rd yellow caution lap, and upon doing so we had a fantastic pit stop taking fuel and switching drivers, however this is where our luck would end.

Driver Change!

Within 10 minutes of andrew running the car he reported the seat bracket had failed and he couldn't hold himself in the seat. Thinking our race was finished, he brought it into the pits where we met him to check it out. Well it turns out we could make a quick repair it was simply one of the bolts in the seat that had vibrated loose. I got back in the car and finished the race, many laps back of course but at least we finished, that was an accomplishment considering the crazy weekend we had had!

After the race weekend we knew we had tons of improvements to the car to make. Andrew and I are only a few tenths apart as drivers, but in this car our times were still 3 seconds off a competitive Koni GS time. Shocks were going to be a huge requirement, but the big thing we were lacking was power. At mosport especially, power is huge and we were getting walked by every car in the field. The mustangs would absolutely freight train us as if we weren't even in the same class!

So more testing at shannonville with revalved shocks and installed shock potentiometers allowed us to fine tune the dampers to make sure they were spending the same amount of time in bump as they did in rebound, and had enough low speed damping to keep the car firm and responsive, but not to the point where the car was skittery and never taking a set. By analysing the roll rate we were able to tune the shock stiffness so the cars balance was neutral during turn in and corner exit, not just in the middle of the corner.

Screen Shot Of Motec I2 Software Analysing Roll Rate Data

Rear Shock Pot Installed

The car was 1.5 seconds faster than it had ever been from the shock tuning alone at shannonville pro track, and we were very happy with the results. But we knew we needed more. The car was doing high 1.57s low 1.58s at Shannonville Long. A competitive Koni GS car would likely be in the 1.56s dipping into the 1.55s.

Here is a video of our Shannonville Test, unfortunately with the very long gear ratio the Z has with the factory rear end gear, I was in 3rd gear down at 4000-4500rpm, where 2nd would have been right up on the limiter as soon as I exited the corner. A closer ratio final drive would have allowed me to use 3rd / 4th more, which would have shortened up 3rd making it perfect, and using 4th for most short straights. Oh well! Video:

350z Shannonville Long Test

Last edited by SGSash; 12-10-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2008 | 01:06 AM
XuperXero

I had the same problem with gear ratios on Shannonville. Constantly out of the powerband. Pissed the **** out of me.
Nice times though! I think I was able to do 2:07 or 2:06 on street tires.

Congrats on finishing the race, I'm sure you'll get all the odd ends worked out and have more consistent races!
Old 12-11-2008 | 04:17 AM
Reality350

Nice write up.. Can't wait to see what next season holds for your team
Old 12-11-2008 | 04:28 AM
350z-Jim

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that. Time for a new FD by the sounds of it...
Old 12-11-2008 | 05:04 AM
2TH PWR

Thanks for spicing up the EC section. I will pull my car on the track and race everyone next year.
Old 12-11-2008 | 07:28 AM
goneinsixtyseconds

i'm a hardparker now and don't believe in circuit racing
Old 12-11-2008 | 08:02 AM
Reality350

Take the accord out!
Old 12-11-2008 | 09:05 AM
goneinsixtyseconds

the thing handles like a boat and the brakes overheat like crazy under regular daily driving
Old 12-11-2008 | 10:54 AM
Smasher

I will have to race Sasha when my Eng is re-built. Something tells me he will still kick my azz
Old 12-11-2008 | 10:59 AM
goneinsixtyseconds

Originally Posted by Smasher
Something tells me he will still kick my azz
+1
Old 12-11-2008 | 11:19 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Nice write up which I had the money to race like you
Old 12-11-2008 | 11:27 AM
XChacalX

Originally Posted by XuperXero
I had the same problem with gear ratios on Shannonville. Constantly out of the powerband. Pissed the **** out of me.
Nice times though! I think I was able to do 2:07 or 2:06 on street tires.

Congrats on finishing the race, I'm sure you'll get all the odd ends worked out and have more consistent races!
Having a 3.9 FD on my roadster i was also able to do 2:07 in july on stock tire
im sure the 3.9 did help quite a bit on my case !

Quick Reply: Kelsey, The Story Of A Racecar *lots of pics/vid*