Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

getting a reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 06:32 PM
Rollin

Default getting a reflash?

How many mods do you need to do before you should get reflashed? will you notice it after exhaust and intake, plenum? 2nd, can any nissan dealership do this or should you go to a performance shop? Thanks for the help

rollin
Old 04-23-2009 | 06:44 PM
03aeroZ

Did you search? A search on a reflash OR just reading the 100 top asked questions thread will answer both of those questions.

Your answer would be yes, you need to finish your engine mods (intake, spacer, cats, exhaust) then get it flashed. And no, a dealership will not do it for you.

BUT SEARCH...you will find TONS out and not make a stupid decision.
Old 04-24-2009 | 06:06 AM
maroli

any mods that affect breathing should be done first. secondly, and honestly, your best bet for a reflash is APH because they do it right there and you don't have to send your ECU out and not have a car for a week. I don't know where else you can one here, maybe speedstar. I know sometimes people come down from the states during shows to do reflashes.
Old 04-24-2009 | 06:25 AM
Reality350

it depends on what you want to do.. Most would wait until they installed all the breathing mods and then get a reflash/tune with osiris.

AFAIK, APH is the only osiris tuner in Ontario. Maybe eastern canada..
No dealership would be able to provide you with a reflash or re-tune after installing breathing mods.

Your best bet is to search on the topic.. We are pretty civil here in the EC section, but this kind of question on the main forums will get you flamed up.

Search is your friend!
Old 04-24-2009 | 07:09 AM
XuperXero

There are gains from reflashing stock Z... but... not worth the money compared to buying all the breathing mods then reflashing.
Old 04-24-2009 | 07:19 AM
maroli

Originally Posted by XuperXero
There are gains from reflashing stock Z... but... not worth the money compared to buying all the breathing mods then reflashing.
That's right, barry saw 20 whp from his non revup with only an exhaust mod. After I get my mrev2 and spacer (since I already have intake and exhaust) I'm hoping to see 30 whp gain. In terms of flywheel power, I'm looking for the magic 335...so I can run with E46 M3's.
Old 04-24-2009 | 12:26 PM
kuoyang

I was just wondering but when you reflash the second or third time, do you get a discount? or pay the same price.
Old 04-24-2009 | 12:33 PM
TheOtherRob

Get a tune once your done with your mods, that way you dont have to retune when you add something else. Look into Osiris.
Old 04-24-2009 | 12:34 PM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by kuoyang
I was just wondering but when you reflash the second or third time, do you get a discount? or pay the same price.
Usually you pay a discounted re tune price. For instance I believe to tune your car would be 500-600 and 175 or so to re tune. Depends on shop prices in your area.
Old 04-24-2009 | 12:37 PM
maroli

Why would you want to tune more than once? Unless you're going FI or something. Or returning to stock. Just finish breathing mods and do a flash
Old 04-24-2009 | 01:05 PM
TheOtherRob

^ Well some people think they are done, and the addiction keeps going...lol
Old 04-24-2009 | 03:33 PM
XuperXero

^+1 very true... it never ends. you're always going to want more. Which is why some people go built block and TT from the start. None of the minor breathing mods and adding as they go alone
Old 04-25-2009 | 06:17 AM
Rollin

Thanks and sorry for not searching, doesnt always seem to pull up exactly what im looking for! So what does a reflash cost? Im running a top speed pro 1 exhaust, CAI, and 5/16th plenum spacer, with the help of my seibon hood for bringing in and removing air.. ideas what kind of gains i could get? 30whp seems a bit much, but would be fantastic!!! not sure if i want to run headers or test pipes, it sounds great just the way it is, i dont want a super loud car.. ideas..
Old 04-25-2009 | 06:29 AM
TheOtherRob

Cost is determined by the brand of tuning software, and the shop fees for the dyno and tuning. Expect anywhere from 500-700 depending on certain variables.
Old 04-25-2009 | 07:46 AM
maroli

Originally Posted by Rollin
Thanks and sorry for not searching, doesnt always seem to pull up exactly what im looking for! So what does a reflash cost? Im running a top speed pro 1 exhaust, CAI, and 5/16th plenum spacer, with the help of my seibon hood for bringing in and removing air.. ideas what kind of gains i could get? 30whp seems a bit much, but would be fantastic!!! not sure if i want to run headers or test pipes, it sounds great just the way it is, i dont want a super loud car.. ideas..
you could def see 30, if Barry saw 22 with just an exhaust.
Old 04-26-2009 | 09:17 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by maroli
you could def see 30, if Barry saw 22 with just an exhaust.
I am not trying to be rude at all.. but you are going by ricer math. Mods to not stack up HP.
It's all relative to your engine, the mods you have and how well it all ties in together.
Just because bwk saw +20whp in stock trim, does not mean you will net +30whp with extra mods.

Its very hard to squeeze NA whp from the z's VQ. Just keep that in mind when modding and you should not be to disappointed with the results.

I will however still be getting an Osiris flash once I get all my breathing mods installed. If anything, it will allow my zed to operate much more efficiently.. I am not so much looking for max NA whp, as I know the limits of our motors.

Last edited by Reality350; 04-26-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2009 | 10:15 AM
Rollin

Originally Posted by Reality350
I am not trying to be rude at all.. but you are going by ricer math. Mods to not stack up HP.
It's all relative to your engine, the mods you have and how well it all ties in together.
Just because bwk saw +20whp in stock trim, does not mean you will net +30whp with extra mods.

Its very hard to squeeze NA whp from the z's VQ. Just keep that in mind when modding and you should not be to disappointed with the results.

I will however still be getting an Osiris flash once I get all my breathing mods installed. If anything, it will allow my zed to operate much more efficiently.. I am not so much looking for max NA whp, as I know the limits of our motors.
Of course, anyone who is expecting crazy gains from an intake and exhaust may just be dissapointed, hence why i need twin turbos, but i went with the twin turbo diamond ring instead!!! (Happy wife happy life!!) lol
Old 04-26-2009 | 10:44 AM
brady

Originally Posted by Rollin
Of course, anyone who is expecting crazy gains from an intake and exhaust may just be dissapointed, hence why i need twin turbos, but i went with the twin turbo diamond ring instead!!! (Happy wife happy life!!) lol
Lol, happy mommy happy home. Trust me on that one.

I got the tune, now have injen dual intake and stillen hfc's (to be installed by aph) and then a retune. Hopefully by the Brian has figured out how to up my revlimiter with "uprev".

Op, sounds to me like you've got more then enough to pull the trigger on the tune!
Old 04-26-2009 | 11:29 AM
ed@aph
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by brady
Lol, happy mommy happy home. Trust me on that one.

I got the tune, now have injen dual intake and stillen hfc's (to be installed by aph) and then a retune. Hopefully by the Brian has figured out how to up my revlimiter with "uprev".

Op, sounds to me like you've got more then enough to pull the trigger on the tune!
we were talking to Uprev yesterday, they told me their master software developer is still working on your rom brady, sounds like it will take a little more time.

btw, how did your z do on the track last week?
Old 04-26-2009 | 02:10 PM
maroli

Originally Posted by Reality350

I didn't say he'd definitely would get 30 whp, but if Barry saw 22whp from just a tune, I meant the TOTAL (not marginal) power increase of getting an exhaust and intake and tune MAY give him 30. That's only 8 additional hp for an exhaust, spacer, and intake. Sounds reasonable to me, but as you said it doesn't always work that way. So I said could

Quick Reply: getting a reflash?