Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

does anyone here have newer 06+ headlights in thier 03-05 zeds, DRL question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:02 PM
XERMAN2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default does anyone here have newer 06+ headlights in thier 03-05 zeds, DRL question

In my 2004 my DRL are my high beam bulb at a lower voltage making them light up dimly during the day while the car is running.

As far as i understand on the 2006 and up cars here use parking light below the projector as a DRL.

i have searched and know that the 2006 lights are a plug and play in my 04, and that the blue wire may have to be cut to avoid the yellow bulb from being on all of the time.

When i swap to 2006 lights my high beam wire will power the small motor moving the projector flap up and giving more light rather then powering a halogen bulb as it does now.

My question is, when my low beams are on the motor will not be powered, when the high beam is on the motor will be powered. When my headlights are off the wire would get power as a lower voltage, and send that to the motor would it not. what would happen? would it be harmful?

thanks

Kevin
________
Old 08-11-2009, 05:46 PM
StraySheep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XERMAN2001

As far as i understand on the 2006 and up cars here use parking light below the projector as a DRL.

________
No.

Canadian 2006+ Z uses the HID as DRL. The DRL is exactly the same intensity and brightness as low beam. In other words, the HID is always on low beam day and night once you release the parking brake. The only way to turn it off is to shut off the engine.

Sorry can't help you on how to hook up the 06+ headlights.

Since US Z don't have DRL, so for sure parking lights are not used as DRL.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 PM
XERMAN2001

Originally Posted by StraySheep
No.

Canadian 2006+ Z uses the HID as DRL. The DRL is exactly the same intensity and brightness as low beam. In other words, the HID is always on low beam day and night once you release the parking brake. The only way to turn it off is to shut off the engine.

Sorry can't help you on how to hook up the 06+ headlights.

Since US Z don't have DRL, so for sure parking lights are not used as DRL.
i know about the staying on after the parking brake until you turn the engine off again, its the same on mine.

so your telling me the 06-08 people always have their HIDs on?, either just the low beams, or low beam and parking lights on when the switch is on low, and low beam, parking lights on and high beam flap open when the switch is on high.

the DIY on here say they are a plug and play in the US, hum
Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Kiriller

you could always splice the wire and run it in to the cabin with a switch to turn the module on or off? (if not module it will just cut the wire off so no power goes to it) but then it might not turn at all if the switch is off?

Complicated issue lol... Try calling Nissan or going to local nissan and ask for a print out how to rewire the thing? Im sure some nissans are willing to help a brother out.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 PM
StraySheep

I have been wanting to disable my HID DRL for my past 3+ years, but nobody has found a way to do it or nobody has bothered figuring it out.

Here's how a Canadian 06+ Z headlights work.

Once the engine is started and parking brake released, the HID low beam, parking lights, rear tail lights, and license plate lights are always on until you turn off the engine. This is even when the Lights **** switch is in off position.

Turing the **** to parking light position will only turn on the interior instrument lights in addition to all the lights in the off position.

Turing the **** switch one more time to low beam does nothing, all exterior and interior lights remains the same intensity. The user manual says the HID intensity is increased from DRL to low beam, but I don't see or hear any difference.

The only feature I find with the **** in the low beam position is that you can push the turn signal rod forward and it will turn on the bi-xenon high beam. You can always pull the rod rearward to flash the bi-xenon high beam in any switch position.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 AM
noodleman

your rear taillights should not be on if your car is on and parking break is off...unless you're stepping on the break...
Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 AM
StraySheep

Originally Posted by noodleman
your rear taillights should not be on if your car is on and parking break is off...unless you're stepping on the break...
The rear taillights are the same LEDs as the brake lights, just less bright.

When the foot brake is pressed, it gets brighter.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM
noodleman

you've probably already gone over this, but are you sure that's suppose to happen with 06's? Maybe there's something wrong with your drl fuse....
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 AM
XERMAN2001

so basically all 06-08 cnd 350s always have there lights on, the only thing you can control is if you have the high beam on or not and gauge lights.

so this means you could never drive at night say at a "drive in" parking lot with your lights off, they would be on as if you had the switch in the low beam position. wow

hum, i guess ill have to wait until someone here in Canada who has done the swap chines in here.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 AM
garu

I have an 06 bought it used.
It is American, DRL kit was installed by previous owner.
HIDs are always on regardless of the light switch.
Once light switch is on, all other lights (parking light, tail LED, interior lights, etc) comes on.
I tried to find a way to redo the relay so I don't use HID as a DRL but I couldn't tell what exactly they did with the DRL kit.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:31 AM
arthur_z27

i bought 06+ headlights from the US

these lights do not have DRL

when you turn the light **** once, the front turn signals, the tail lights and the dash lights up

when you turn the **** again, the HIDs turn on

so, you can drive in the parking lot @ night w/ no lights on at all
Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 AM
XERMAN2001

Originally Posted by arthur_z27

when you turn the light **** once, the front turn signals, the tail lights and the dash lights up

so your car is a 03-05 cnd car with US 06-08 lights correct.

Mine are cnd 06 lights but iam sure they are the same.

When i swap to 2006 lights my high beam wire will power the small motor moving the projector flap up and giving more light rather then powering a halogen bulb as it does now.

My question is, when my low beams are on the motor will not be powered, when the high beam is on the motor will be powered. When my headlights are off the wire would get power as a lower voltage, and send that to the motor would it not. what would happen? would it be harmful?

i am wondering if power is going to your high beam wires but at a lower voltage to power what was once there, a high beam bulb. now is just a flat, so is the flap open, is it hard on the motor. if it was to power the motor there would be no light when the switch is off, meaning no DRL anymore.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:24 PM
XERMAN2001

anyone?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:25 AM
maroli

I have 06+ headlights in my 35th....and its a US car. My drls are the yellow lights on the top.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM
XERMAN2001

bump

looking to install my lights soon, lets see if anyone else knows.

"My question is, when my low beams are on the motor will not be powered, when the high beam is on the motor will be powered. When my headlights are off the wire would get power as a lower voltage, and send that to the motor would it not. what would happen? would it be harmful?

i am wondering if power is going to your high beam wires but at a lower voltage to power what was once there, a high beam bulb. now is just a flap, so is the flap open, is it hard on the motor. if it was to power the motor there would be no light when the switch is off, meaning no DRL anymore"

Last edited by XERMAN2001; 03-09-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Reality350

^Dude, just install the lights.. It won't blow up your z.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 PM
slo

Originally Posted by arthur_z27

I also have a set of US headlights on my 04 cdn 350z. When you turn on the HID, does the the front turn signal turn off? (Where the hi-beam was on the 03-05 HIDs?) Is there a way to turn it off when the HIDs are on?

Last edited by slo; 03-22-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 PM
slo

oh wait..nm...i think i found the answer to my own question...

"i have searched and know that the 2006 lights are a plug and play in my 04, and that the blue wire may have to be cut to avoid the yellow bulb from being on all of the time."

Just to confirm. So by cutting the blue wire, it will not turn on at all...except for when using the turn signals??
Old 03-23-2010, 11:50 AM
XERMAN2001

Originally Posted by slo
oh wait..nm...i think i found the answer to my own question...

"i have searched and know that the 2006 lights are a plug and play in my 04, and that the blue wire may have to be cut to avoid the yellow bulb from being on all of the time."

Just to confirm. So by cutting the blue wire, it will not turn on at all...except for when using the turn signals??

as far as i have read. so i cant 100% confirm
Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 PM
fi-z33

ok, i'm gonna revive this thread and post my findings. Hopefully this will help the next Canadian move forward on their purchases for 2006 headlights.

I own a Canadian 2003 350Z Touring Model which has the factory HID and H7 halogen high-beams (also DRL).

I recently purchased a set of 2006+ 350Z headlights and it did not come with bulbs, ballast, or ignitor (the square metal piece that plugs and twists onto the back of your bulbs).

I removed my 2003 headlights, removed the bulbs, ballast, and ignitor and swapped them into my 2006 headlights. This was relatively easy and anyone should be able to figure this out.

Now the big question is: What happens to the 2006 highbeam actuator after swapping it into a 2003 Canadian 350z where DRL/Highbeams are 6 volt constant? The actuators are activated! That's right, when the DRL at 6v is on, the actuators are actually activated! HOWEVER, you no longer have DRLs anymore. The actuator is activated, but your high beams will not be on since your ballast receives a signal only when you turn on your low beams. Once you turn your low-beams on, your actuators will shut and regular low-beam will function normally. Your highbeams will also work normally regardless if your low beams are off or on.

Therefore to sum everything up. The 2006 headlights are definitely plug and play, however, you do lose your DRL. You can get around this by doing some rewiring; you can rewire your parking lights so they are turned on with your ignition. These lights will constantly be on whenever your car is on. Or if your planning to do ironman mod, you can wire your ironmans into your ignition as well.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.