Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

SG-Motorsport Blog Roll

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010 | 11:50 AM
GT-Rob

Great read Sasha, Ill be down at your shop sooner or later this year!

Hows the engine coming along?
Old 05-25-2010 | 05:26 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

It's actually on hold for a little bit, although hopefully I'll get a stock engine back in it so that I can get out to this Mosport lapping day on Friday.

On hold? But why? Well I just signed on as the Technical Director for G1 racing, which is composed of 3 Hyundai Genesis Super Touring cars running in the Canadian Touring Car Championship. I raced in this series in 2007 with my 240sx and was able to secure the championship, now hopefully we can make these gen coupes a competitive front running team.

The last few weeks have been quite hectic trying to get these cars ready for the first race, and we've been very busy at the shop. If you've been trying to get a hold of me I must apologize as there's been a delay responding to emails, but we're back on track now.

Our first race weekend went quite well though, the cars are 2 seconds faster than they were last year, and Bob had his best result ever of a 9th place
finish on the Saturday race. We did have some mechanical problems but I think, dare I say it, that most of the teething problems are sorted out and we can now work on going faster.

Name:  02-1.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  29.2 KB

Name:  03-1.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  24.2 KB
Oops!

Our next race is at Mosport for the High Octane weekend, I hope you guys can come out and watch. June 11-12-13, I'll be driving the #73 car and hopefully we will be able to fight for a top five finish!

Name:  01-1.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  21.7 KB
Old 05-25-2010 | 08:55 AM
Kiriller

Nice loving this blog you should make a blog so i can follow through my iphone just dont do twitter (shittiest thing ever released)
Old 05-25-2010 | 02:57 PM
knuklz

^ +1
very interesting read, keep us posted!
Old 05-25-2010 | 03:55 PM
Smasher

Congratulations Sasha for new Position of Technical Director for the G1 Racing team!
Old 05-25-2010 | 04:19 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Wow, impressive. Congratulations on your new position and I hope to read more updates from you.
Old 06-14-2010 | 09:33 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

I hate getting behind on these blog posts, but it happens when we're really busy!

We just finished our second race at Mosport, and for me this was my first race weekend actually driving these cars. Let me tell you, Mosport's not a track you want to learn a car in - but I had no choice!

Before the race weekend we did a lot of work on the cars, I modified the headers and built a custom 3.5" exhaust similar to what's on my Z (well, actually - more like a duplicate!), we built custom diff coolers because we were having overheating issues, and also installed KAAZ 1.5way LSDs which were overnighted from Korea, we received them the day before we had to leave!

So after a few 12-14 hour nights it was off to the races.

But before I get into that, let me show you guys a few pictures of the reason I think I've been frying crank angle sensors. My Tilton flywheel? Cracked. Right at the trigger for the crank angle sensor. So that would likely explain why the flywheel was hitting sensors at high speed, and most likely also explain why the engine was having sync issues at high RPM.

I also adjusted the rear dampers (Koni 2822 quad adjust) to offer more bump and less droop travel, as we were into the bump stops last year and weren't even running as low as I plan to be this year. A low profile bolt and a little machining later and I have roughly an extra 1" of travel in the rear. I wouldn't mind a little bit more, but this is pretty good. There's about .5" of clearance before the side-skirt would hit the ground at full compression.

Name:  bracket2.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  droopadjust.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  141.5 KB

Header modification on the Gen coupe:

Name:  headers01.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  headers02.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  114.5 KB

The weekend truly was the lowest of lows and highest of highs. We keep burning up rear axles and we adjusted the rear suspension (all the links are adjustable) to make sure the CVs were running in the middle of their travel, of course while doing so we entirely messed up the alignment. My first race in the rain with a full dry (very aggressive at that) setup, the car was totally un-drivable and I finished dead last. Turns out the rear toe was terribly off, a front ball joint was loose and the strut had come apart allowing for huge toe and camber change.

We towed the car home Saturday night to prep for Sunday, and starting from the back of the pack Sunday afternoon after the Canadian Tire Nascar race, I made up a bunch of spots in the first couple laps and ended up finishing 11th.

Video and pictures to come!
Old 06-14-2010 | 10:37 AM
Kiriller

what are those springs for?

and nice update, once again
Old 06-14-2010 | 11:18 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Great blog....even given the conditions for the 1/4 runs I would have thought it stronger. I realize it is not its intended purpose.
Old 06-14-2010 | 12:12 PM
GT-Rob

How are your overall impressions of the cars in general? Do you miss Kelsey when you are stuck driving the Korean cars?
Old 06-15-2010 | 10:27 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

The cars still need a lot of development but when they are really setup I don't see why I wouldn't like them just the same as my car. They have a real pedal box which I like more than my car (which is using OE pedals but with a manual brake master setup), but the McPherson strut front suspension is going to prove to be quite problematic, so it'll never handle like the Z

Plus, my Z sounds soo much better, even though they have essentially identical exhaust systems!

We did a PowerLab single turbo in a 350z last week as well which turned out pretty well, except for the UTEC which I'm not a fan of, I'll get some pictures up of it shortly. Needed a ton of header wrap and fire sleeve to protect it from all the heat everywhere.

Dave's Z should be back for some more cooling mods later this week, and the roadster just got a welded diff so it won't be long until it's ready for some drifting action!
Old 06-16-2010 | 07:44 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kiriller

what are those springs for?

and nice update, once again
Thanks! The springs retain the collector as it is just a slip fit onto the primary tubes.
Old 06-16-2010 | 07:45 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks! I just started a blog actually as a few people have been saying maybe I should. I don't get to it as often as I'd like but it's only a week old so I'm sure it'll speed up:

sgmotorsport.wordpress.com

All of the posts also update live on our Facebook Page - SG-Motorsport (Brampton, ON)

Originally Posted by Kiriller
Nice loving this blog you should make a blog so i can follow through my iphone just dont do twitter (shittiest thing ever released)
Old 06-16-2010 | 07:46 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

I think there are a few reasons why I only ran a 13 flat on that day. #1 the launch was clearly horrible and I wasn't able to be full on the power until a bit into 2nd gear. #2 the wing and splitter add a SIGNIFICANT amount of drag, #3 it was a hot day so engine power was lower than it should be!

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Great blog....even given the conditions for the 1/4 runs I would have thought it stronger. I realize it is not its intended purpose.
Old 06-16-2010 | 07:47 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Here's a little video of yours truly from this weekend in the GenCoupe #87:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNLgKRYzr4k
Old 06-16-2010 | 05:33 PM
Smasher

Cool racing vid Sasha I will see you tomorrow.

If I do recall I beat you in the 1/4 that day and spun in 3 gears at part throtle
Old 06-17-2010 | 01:55 AM
nissannx

Sasha, that is absolutely awesome. I'm very happy for you.
I'll try to get out to watch some races in person!
Old 06-26-2010 | 07:22 PM
GT-Rob

Finally picked up June's Modified. Great read Sasha, truly inspiring!
Old 06-28-2010 | 06:21 AM
Parker01

Nice meeting you at the Sigma Racing time attack this weekend, nice being passed by you too ... that car is nuts and rediculously fast! I have some footage of you passing me, then we get stuck behind some traffic... I should post it up though, it is neat watching your car just hug the road and hearing it scream past!
Old 06-28-2010 | 08:41 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks guys.

Thanks Parker, you were driving really well, nice to see some guys in Z's getting into motorsports and ripping it up.

The Genesis still needs a lot of work, but it's coming along. Hopefully with a few more changes we'll be running at the front, there's certainly a lot to do!

We're heading for Quebec on Canada Day for the first out of province race at ICAR, which is near Montreal. We've just gotten some new shocks on the back of the car, as well as a new subframe to try and improve the handling, and to help with the axle situation we were having - constantly destroying CV joints. It seems to be a lot better, but only time will tell if we've found the actual solution.

Here are a few pics and a quick video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8xPz1QlcQI

Quick Reply: SG-Motorsport Blog Roll