Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

tires popped off rim, safe to remount or bead damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:45 PM
maroli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tires popped off rim, safe to remount or bead damaged?

Hey guys,
When my car had its intimate encounter with a tree, it hopped a curb while sliding sideways, and the kerb pushed the tire off the rim. The tires were less than 6 months old at that point I believe. The impact at that point must've been around 60 kmph and I think what happened is that the rims bent and the tires got shoved off. Is it too much of a risk to remount? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Kiriller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for cracks & balance (on balance machine you will be able to see if the wheel is bent) . If both of these tests pass, your good to go. Hope your pops is alright, story behind this and pics?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 PM
maroli

Originally Posted by Kiriller
Check for cracks & balance (on balance machine you will be able to see if the wheel is bent) . If both of these tests pass, your good to go. Hope your pops is alright, story behind this and pics?
haha, where'd you get my pops from? He's in Thailand (or India, he moves back and forth a lot). No, I know the rim's f**ked, I'm not taking a chance with those. But the tire itself is good to remount?

It was my accident from a few months ago? Remember? I posted pics
Old 12-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Kiriller

Originally Posted by maroli
haha, where'd you get my pops from? He's in Thailand (or India, he moves back and forth a lot). No, I know the rim's f**ked, I'm not taking a chance with those. But the tire itself is good to remount?

It was my accident from a few months ago? Remember? I posted pics
ROfl i have no idea i was probably reading couple things at the same time not really paying attention

Tires are flexible. If they inflate they are fine, just check for chunks of tire missing/craters where the impact happened. If tire looks good (no imperfections) mount it up and monitor the pressure for couple weeks to see if theres any big changes in the pressure. Hope this helps.

Just make sure you check the tire carefully, you dont want to be going with high velocity and having a tire blow.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:15 PM
4DGS

They'll be fine, if you've even seen tires get unmounted you'll see how much abuse and pulling they can take.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Ronin82

ya, check he tires, make sure theyre stil good. Check your rims to cause tires dont normally just Pop Off
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 AM
maroli

the car jumped the curb which dented the rim, and the tire deflated and came off. That's my theory. Happened really fast, I wasn't driving. Other theory is the car swiped the kerb slightly sideways while jumping it, so it just pushed it off.