Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

Looking for experiences dealing with insuring modified cars/ What to expect

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
jamestown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for experiences dealing with insuring modified cars/ What to expect

Anyone had any luck finding insurance companies that are mod friendly?

I do really like modifying my car but I can't help the feeling that Ontario insurance isn't really set up to enable my interest.

From the information I've found online I assume most people don't disclose modifications to their insurance company. I'm not sure where this would leave you if you did have an accident and the modifications were discovered.

Has anyone had success disclosing their modifications and still being covered for a 'somewhat' reasonable premium?

Or anyone not disclose mods and get in an accident... what became of it?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Boorad

Depends on what you plan on doing. My car for instance. Coilovers, lip kit,rim's custome interio, sound systemturbo kit.. The only thing that is covered is my turbo kit. So if my car is stolen or writen off I get value of car 'stock' plus value of kit and install (Receipts provided). All other mods don't count.

The value of most mods like body kits and such aren't worth the premium increase and don't cost any more then OEM to repair/paint etc

Granted my father is my broker so don't quote me on other companies covering a turbo kit. And yes rate went up because of it but was only like 3% for the year increase

Last edited by Boorad; 04-02-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 AM
jamestown

Originally Posted by Boorad
Depends on what you plan on doing. My car for instance. Coilovers, lip kit,rim's custome interio, sound systemturbo kit.. The only thing that is covered is my turbo kit. So if my car is stolen or writen off I get value of car 'stock' plus value of kit and install (Receipts provided). All other mods don't count.

The value of most mods like body kits and such aren't worth the premium increase and don't cost any more then OEM to repair/paint etc

Granted my father is my broker so don't quote me on other companies covering a turbo kit. And yes rate went up because of it but was only like 3% for the year increase
Interesting. My main concern is liability coverage, not so much concerned with the price of my mods not being covered. Thanks for sharing. Do you know who specifically underwrites your policy? I have heard that getting coverage for forced induction is rare.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
cokkblokk

Hey boorad, could you send me your father's business contact? I'd like to possible switch to a brokerage that will still cover me with modifications. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Boorad

The company is Wawanesa. Which is probably his number one company. You would have to have pretty much a mint record. As for them insuring the kit, well my dad might be the reason, but I don't know.
As for liability, your car being moded whether for looks or power IMO shouldn't matter as long as your clean and viewed as a respectable driver it just a premium increase. Think about it this way, is you car moded to make 500hp any less safe or more of a risk to them then a gt500 or corvette? So would they not insure you if you bought one of those?!?!? My to cents, just seems logical. But I think we can all agree insurance companies (not my dad) are not logical and a lot of time just seems discrimatory.