Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Nissan Adjustable Short Throw Shifter Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:14 PM
chachi999999999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan Adjustable Short Throw Shifter Review

First, let me start off by saying this shifter is absolutely amazing and is worth every single penny. It is by far, the best shifter for the Z. B&M, Rouge, 350EVO, C(Japan), and any other shifter out for the Z can not touch this thing in performance and feel. I expected the shifter to be good, but it has gone way beyond my expectations.

The review is kind of long, but it is a good read and well worth it if your in the market for a short throw.

Review: I tested this shifter and every setting in 3 different situations. I went to my Memphis Nissan Racing Scene meet where we went through some very long backroads with hairpin turns almost the whole way and tried out every setting. I also dragged by with my friend in the car in every setting. Then I drove normally to class, home, and work and used every setting.

What is it? This is the Nissan Adjustable Short Throw Shifter for the Nissan 350Z. It has 4 adjustable stages: 20% longer than stock, stock, 20% shorter, and 40% shorter. The shifter is easily adjusted by grabbing a little below the center of the shifter and pulling up or down on the shift **** using your other hand.

Quality: The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was the quality of the shifter. This shifter was engineered to perfection. The shifter lever is a solid piece of 17-4 stainless steel. Even though the shifter is adjustable, the 17-4 stainless steel lever is one solid piece with the shifter ball on one end and connected directly to the transmission on the other. Basically stronger than the same material in a forged steel crankshaft. Your gonna break your arm before you can even bend this baby.

Installation: I never install stuff on my car because I am afraid I will break something, but I decided to install the shifter myself. The directions are excellent. They included very detailed step by step instructions with pictures including a diagram of the shifter. The shifter was very easy to install. Here is what you will need: 10mm socket and ratchet, 12mm socket and ratchet, and a something to lift the car( I used my spare tire jack located in the truck, and it worked great). If you guys run into any snags, just pm me or email me at chachi999999999@gmail.com . I will help you out no problem, but I seriously doubt you will run into any problems because the instructions are clear as day.

Any Rattles? One thing I didn’t believe about this shifter was that it wouldn’t rattle. Every shifter I know of available for the Z rattle to some extent. This shifter proved me completely wrong. I didn’t hear any rattling what so ever. I couldn’t believe it. There was finally a shifter for the Z that doesn’t rattle and it’s the Nissan Adjustable Short Throw. I was told that modifications were made to an OEM part to stop rattling, and it most definitely worked. I didn’t here a peep out of the thing.

How Does It Feel? I can tell you know that no matter what gear you put it in the shifter is always smooth and never rattles!!!

20% Longer Than Stock: I knew it was gonna be smooth, but my goodness this thing was ridiculously smooth. This thing just slides into gear like a hot knife cutting into warm butter. If you want the luxury feel, this is the setting for you.

Stock Position: Since it was in the stock position, I didn’t think there would be a difference in feel, but there definitely was. The shifter had the same throw, but it was so much smoother than the stock feel. It just glided into place. If you like stock positioning and just want smoother shifts, this is the setting for you.

20% Shorter than Stock: If you want the throw to be just a shorter than stock, but not to short, this is a good setting. The change is not too much but you it is definitely enough to feel a difference between it and the stock throw, and the shifter is still smooth.

40% Shorter Than Stock: ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!!!! 40% shorter is the shortest throw you can get for the Z, and only the Nissan Adjustable Short Throw has it. This is my favorite setting without any doubt. I will use this setting for everyday driving as well as racing. I thought it would be hard to get into gear, and I was completely wrong. The throw is super short. When I put it into gear, it is completely effortless. I feel as if there is a hydraulic pump just pushing it into gear for me. It requires practically no effort to move into the next gear. I mean when used it this setting for the first time, I had a huge smile on my face the whole time, and I still can’t believe that the shifter can still shift so good and be at such a short setting. I decided to do the ultimate test. Yesterday, I left the shifter in 40% shorter than stock with temperature in the 20s. When I drove the car the next day, I expected the shifter not to shift good because the transmission was cold. Boy was I wrong again. It shifted the exactly the same. I just can’t get over how incredible this shifter is. For those of you who don’t believe me, I made a video showing how easy and fast you can go through the gears. There is no notchyness what so ever. Download it here:

Windows Media Player: I had to use a converter program that watermarked it across the center. https://umdrive.memphis.edu/spaprank...fter%20WMP.mpg

Divx: https://umdrive.memphis.edu/spaprank...%20Shifter.avi

QuickTime: https://umdrive.memphis.edu/spaprank...c/P1010001.MOV
I did it at night with my digital camera that doesn’t record sound. All you need to see anyways is how easily it goes into gear.

Where To Buy? my350z.com go to the groupbuy section under Mossy Adjustable Short Throw(I made the mistake thinking it was a Mossy, but it was a Nissan short throw), pm me or e-mail me at chachi999999999@hotmail.com.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:40 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid question:

When you adjust the throw does it alter the height of the stick that sits above the boot?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Poizon

How do you know its better than Rogue or the C's or are you just that ecstatic about the nismo. I spoke to Jason at performance and he hates his nismo/mossy says it rattles like hell. Thats why I was avoiding the adjustable.

Does the 40% really make your shifts quicker?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:44 PM
o snap its eric

hmm, how is it like at nuteral? How is the left and right play? Does the shifter bounce back into the middle like stock?

How is reverse? Initial review from jason about getting into reverse was pretty bad sounding.

This short shifter is definitly something to think about because im in the market for one. However, (no offense) but it seems as if your pushing it product rather than a complete honest opinon. I would love to have another person review this product. So far its one bad review and one good review.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:35 AM
chachi999999999

Originally posted by Poizon
How do you know its better than Rogue or the C's or are you just that ecstatic about the nismo. I spoke to Jason at performance and he hates his nismo/mossy says it rattles like hell. Thats why I was avoiding the adjustable.

Does the 40% really make your shifts quicker?
Jason used a prototype, and they were still working out the kinks in the one he got. I have the finished copy. I swear to you that this shifter has no rattle what so ever. It is unbelieveable. Look how much the throw and angle have been reduced in this video I just made. Look how fast I can go throw the gears because there is no notchyness.

Quick Time Daytime Video: https://umdrive.memphis.edu/spaprank...ov?unq=-g0tfm4
Old 12-17-2004, 09:42 AM
FairladyZ

do you have any pics of the stock shifter next to the short shifter?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:46 AM
chachi999999999

Originally posted by o snap its eric
hmm, how is it like at nuteral? How is the left and right play? Does the shifter bounce back into the middle like stock?

How is reverse? Initial review from jason about getting into reverse was pretty bad sounding.

This short shifter is definitly something to think about because im in the market for one. However, (no offense) but it seems as if your pushing it product rather than a complete honest opinon. I would love to have another person review this product. So far its one bad review and one good review.
Like I told Poizon, it was just a prototype and it still had some kinks that needed to be worked out. There is still reverse lock and neutral feels great. I swear to you I am not pushing it. Me and a few of the guys in the group buy were skeptical that it was rattle free and that there was no notchyness, so we agreed that I would buy it and try it out and give a review. So this is the unbyassed review. I read through it, and I could see why you thought that, but I swear I was just so suprised about how good this thing was that it came out like that. I will try to get one of my buddies to record me from my racing group while I drive around and showing you neutral, reverse lock, and that there is no rattle no matter what gear your in. I will try, but I may not be able to do it, especially anytime soon.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:54 AM
chachi999999999

Originally posted by FairladyZ
do you have any pics of the stock shifter next to the short shifter?
I am sorry I don't.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:02 AM
o snap its eric

so the left and right play while being in neutral is like stock? It bounce right back to the middle? The reserves lock as no confusion with 6th gear?

Just making sure, im very intrested in a new SS.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:04 AM
chachi999999999

I know 2 guys in my area that have Z's. I have met one of them recentally. If I had him test it out and give his opinion, would that be cool?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:18 AM
chachi999999999

Originally posted by o snap its eric
so the left and right play while being in neutral is like stock? It bounce right back to the middle? The reserves lock as no confusion with 6th gear?

Just making sure, im very intrested in a new SS.
Here is a video I made showing the neutral is like stock and will bounce right back in the middle. I also am showing me push down the shifter in the center to unlock it to get it into get it into reverse.

Neural Bounce Back and Reverse Lock Quicktime: https://umdrive.memphis.edu/spaprank...OV?unq=-g0t1po
Old 12-17-2004, 10:22 AM
o snap its eric

sweeet! Lastly, sorry for all these 1 by 1 questions, can you make a video with the SS at its shortest length (40% reduction on throw) on how smooth it is. Smoothness is definitly a buying factor since our stock shifter is a bit notchy to start with.

Ever driven a s2k? Man that shifter is pretty smooth. I wouldnt mind haveing a shifter that smooth. Have you driven a s2k? If so, how does it compare?

Thanks a lot chachi99999999999999
Old 12-17-2004, 11:33 AM
chachi999999999

I will make one later when my friend comes by so he can record me. The only problem is that my digital camera is old. It can only be I think 15 seconds and there will be no sounds. I really wanted to record with sound so you guys could see that there is absolutely no rattling.