Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

new device question CARCHIP

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 05:27 PM
backagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new device question CARCHIP

i purchased this little device at autozone the other day, kind of a neat little toy, i have a wideband aem a/f gauge but it's currently being shipped off to aem to get looked at, the car is running great but the gauge is reading way off even after a dyno to make sure a/f is where it should be. this device says it will read :::

With CarChipE/X, though, you'll also be able to monitor any four out of 23 user-selectable engine parameters, including:

RPM
Throttle position
Engine load
Fuel pressure
Fuel system status
Short- and long-term-fuel trim
Battery voltage
Timing advance
Coolant temperature
Air flow rate
Intake air temperature
Intake manifold pressure
Oxygen sensor voltage

my question is, which one of these should i read to get a reading from my airfuel ? or if this will even be possible, i know it won't be a wideband, but anything will help me out to make sure the car's a/f is where it should be in 2nd or 3rd gear at redline, currently it's staying at 16 or so, NOT GOOD, thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:41 PM
KPierson
Banned

Your oxygen sensor voltage is what you would want to look at. Unfortunately since it isn't a wideband its basically a waste of time. Wait to get the AEM back and stay off the throttle...
Old 01-26-2005, 09:28 PM
backagain

true, but it should give me some sort of idea if it's running EXTREMELY lean right ???
Old 01-27-2005, 03:09 AM
KPierson
Banned

No, it will only let you know if you arn't running stoich. The problem with that is that if you are running FI you don't want to be stoich, you want to be rich. Therefore, they a narrow band is useless. I guess it may be possible to tell if you are running lean, but you won't have any accuracy as to just how lean you are.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:24 AM
mojo powered

I'd say take it to a dyno in the meantime until you get your AEM back.. do a run in every gear to make sure.

16 doesn't sound right if you were tuned at any given time after you put your supercharger on.. and if it is right, your car might very well be a time bomb at this point!! So I would definitely put it on a dyno with a sniffer.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:47 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: new device question CARCHIP

Originally posted by backagain
i purchased this little device at autozone the other day, kind of a neat little toy, i have a wideband aem a/f gauge but it's currently being shipped off to aem to get looked at, the car is running great but the gauge is reading way off even after a dyno to make sure a/f is where it should be. this device says it will read :::

With CarChipE/X, though, you'll also be able to monitor any four out of 23 user-selectable engine parameters, including:

RPM
Throttle position
Engine load
Fuel pressure
Fuel system status
Short- and long-term-fuel trim
Battery voltage
Timing advance
Coolant temperature
Air flow rate
Intake air temperature
Intake manifold pressure
Oxygen sensor voltage

my question is, which one of these should i read to get a reading from my airfuel ? or if this will even be possible, i know it won't be a wideband, but anything will help me out to make sure the car's a/f is where it should be in 2nd or 3rd gear at redline, currently it's staying at 16 or so, NOT GOOD, thanks in advance.
The CarChip E/X only samples the chosen parameters every 5 seconds. That is not enough to give you any useful information for determining the a/f ratio. In a wide open throttle run, like the 1/4 mile or dyno, the CarChip will only sample the engine parameters twice in the entire 14 seconds. The O2 voltage is what you want to look at though, but the results are sure to be at best merely useless or worse inaccurate because of sampling rate and the fact that its narrow band.

Last edited by zillinois; 02-14-2005 at 02:51 AM.