Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My VQS1DE is completed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:35 AM
Z350Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My VQS1DE is completed...

Hello folks,

Want to update you guys on the project that we have down under in Melbourne, Australia. As many of you might have known that we were putting nismo S1 engine parts into my car and the job has finally been done this morning and I finally got to drive the car after a long 2 months wait (including X'mas holidays)... Special thanks to HyperTech's Andy and Eric (aka Eric's Engineering) and Peter/Nathan from Sydney for giving out information from their racing experiences.

To recap you guys on the mods that I had BEFORE the project.... here are the parts and the wheel power I got from them... (Please note that Aussie wheel power numbers are generally lower than what you guys have got in the States, because we are using different dyno machines!)

Performance Parts I had on my car BEFORE S1 parts were put in:

1. Nismo Cat Back Exhaust (US Spec. from Jason at Perf. Nissan)
2. Crawfard Cats (from Doug)
3. JUN Lightweight flywheel
4. UR Crank Pulley
5. K&N Filter
6. UniChip piggy back ECU

And I got around 167rwKW, which is around 227.2 rwHP with all of those 6 mods. from the stock engine... this one was tested by APS Peter at his APS headquarter down here in Melbourne. So before we tuned the car, we had a dyno run again at HyperTech machine and it produces 169.4rwKW, which is around 230.3 rwHP, not far from APS's dyno, so this was used as the base dyno for this project.

Then we put in the following parts to build a better N/A engine, the goal is to rev the engine higher and safer:

1. Nismo VTC Units (55 degrees)
2. Nismo S1 Spec Cams (Int 276 degrees, Exh 256 degrees)
3. Nismo Valve Springs
4. Nismo Con-rod Bolts
5. Fujitsubo Headers
6. MoTeC M600 ECU (to replace UniChip)
7. MoTeC Drive by wire module
8. MoTeC Cam Control Module
9. MoTeC sensors + wires

With those mods, the car sounds like a racing car, most likely due to those higher angle cams and the headers.... car sounds VERY mean and deep... with the exhaust pluses that can be heard when the car is idling at the stand still position (like a WRX with exhaust)...

The car revs up higher up to 7200rpm and with fuel cut set at 7300rpm to be at the safe side.... we are producting at 195.1rwKW, which is around 265.3 rwHP.....

Do the simple calculation... the net gain from this project with those nismo parts..... are 265.3 rwHP - 230.3 rwHP = 35 rwHP

Eric (the tuner at HyperTech -> http://www.pow.com.au/eric.htm) tried many combination of the cams positions and the VTC angels too to get the best out of this car considering this is a STREET car with Air Conditioning being operated everyday.... he told me that he was actually expecting more from those mods, but that's what he can do to a STREET car.... and only if I don't want to have the A/C operating or running poor idling, he could still make quite a fair bit of HP from this car...

And also the only way to make more HP from the current state will be making better intake for those cams to run better... so we might be making some in take tubes and using those plenums/spacers available on the market to make further HP.... I am not too sure at this stage what can be done to make more HP without opening up the engine again or giving it FI (which I would not like to go for after days of days of thinking before the project)...

Hope all of those numbers help some of you guys to decide what to do next with the N/A mods...

ps. MoTeC is the best option we could think of for this engine job... you just need to know who knows MoTeC best and we can handle the job.... MoTeC hardware isn't expensive comparing to other systems out there really... just need to find someone who has experiences with MoTeC before, and you can save some big money!

cheers,

richie

EDIT: Cannot seem to post the dyno charts here..... I will try to do that again soon!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:34 AM
Z350Lover

Dyno Charts:

cheers,

richie
Old 01-28-2005, 04:58 AM
mojo powered

hey mate! I think those gains are very very respectable, especially if we consider this is a DYNO DYNAMICS dyno. We're not talking about Dynojet here.

I am not an expert to say how conservative the DD dyno is compared to Dynojet but I do know it is quite a bit more conservative. I'd be very very happy if my car put 260 to the wheels on a DD dyno. It all depends to what the calibration is on these dynos of course but people say that these DD dynos are more "realistic" than others. But then, dynojet seems to be the industry standard so that's another long talk.

Anyway, very nice results. Happy to see the Nismo S1s at work. I think you will be closer to 300whp (dynojet) if you can get that intake path opened up a bit more with a plenum or a spacer and intake. I'm also wondering how Fujitsubo headers compare to Nismo and Crawford.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:07 AM
Z350Lover

mojo:

Fujitsobo headers make the car sounds A LOT louder... and it changes the nismo and crawford sound COMPLETELY... I couldn't believe the header would make that much of the differences myself as well.... you gotta listen to it yourself...

I will be planning to do the intake path, just like the one on the S1 engine... because we are running MoTeC air sensor already, so I guess I can remove the standard sensor complete without any problem... just a matter of how much of custom works are involved... as to me, it looks pretty damn simple though.... I will talk to those boys again and see what we can do to it...

cheers,

richie
Old 01-28-2005, 05:31 AM
stx

Thanks for the info Z350Lover! You might also want to try a bored out throttle body, the NISMO S1 MAF, Nismo S1 intake tube, as well as the parts you mentioned to open the intake.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:30 AM
FairladyZ

Looks good. You would pull lightly modded 350's like a 2 dollar hooker. How hard was the install on the nismo VTC?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:38 AM
stx

I wonder if the 35th Anniversary model comes with the same same parts in its engine if it would make around 35 rwhp more than the original 287 hp motor?

Last edited by stx; 01-28-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:53 AM
FairladyZ

they guys at performance nissan drove one around and said it was the same. Do you mean the track model?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:10 AM
stx

Originally posted by FairladyZ
they guys at performance nissan drove one around and said it was the same. Do you mean the track model?
Yeah, the one with the 300 hp engine. The NISMO S1 engine package is only rated at 300 hp as well. I am starting to think they share the same parts. If they do I wonder if it will have over 30 rwhp more than what the other models have?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:25 AM
FairladyZ

A guy on here has one ordered (track) and will dyno it when he gets it.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Z350Lover

Looks good. You would pull lightly modded 350's like a 2 dollar hooker. How hard was the install on the nismo VTC?
The nismo VTC units are just the direct replacement of the factory unit.... but you will need to tune up the engine management to get the benefit out of it... that that is where takes quite a lot of time.... well... actually not at that option there... where takes a lot of time off is the throttle control at the MoTeC computer...

cheers,

richie
Old 01-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Z350Lover

Originally posted by stx
I wonder if the 35th Anniversary model comes with the same same parts in its engine if it would make around 35 rwhp more than the original 287 hp motor?
It MIGHT be possible.... but the thing is that those cams might not be as wild as the one from the nismo package.... and also the 35th ann. car has exhaust VTCs... and I guess that's where it gets its power from....

I am actually thinking... with 35rwHP of gain, the engine got to be more than 300HP though... so that means Nismo might be under rated (conservative with the power figure) the power from the package once again as usual...

That's just my thought about the package

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 01-28-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:40 PM
thawk408

A guy on here has one ordered (track) and will dyno it when he gets it.
I am suppose to receive mine at the end of next week. After I break it in I will put it on the dyno.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Lawn Dart

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations, those are very nice results. I believe you were considering high compression pistons, why didn't you go that route?
Old 01-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Z350Lover

Lawn Dart,

Thanks mate... I am really pleased with the result I have got here, I can DEFINITELY feel the differences when I jumped into the car..

because there is not enough research into the compression piston... and it was not considered until later in the stage... also the engine builder was not confident on how well the quality of the higher compression pitons... etc. We are afraid that with more stuffs we put into the car, the car will be even harder to maintain the reliability of the rest of the motor components (he said that he might be even more reliable to tune up a FI car with those forged pistons/rods/crank)... and at the end of the day, it is just a street car which can only be seen occasionally on the track days... not purely for the track though... Due to those reasons, I didn't buy the higher compression ratio pistons although there are more rooms for improvement....

I want to play safe with the components that nismo has already spent time testing on both road and track...

cheers,

richie
Old 01-28-2005, 05:45 PM
ALong

Z350LOVER,
Your engine is so cool, Motec is definately the way to go for engine management. Unfortunately for us in the states, a similar Motec system would cost around $10k USD! So the only cars you see running Motec are race cars in professional series. Now that you dont have to run the MAF you should make a custom Airbox/Intake to take advantage of this, you should be see some good gains from a better Airbox/Intake. Also your dyno number are lower than what they are when the car is actually moving, even the OEM airbox acts as a cold-air intake, so the faster you are moving, the more air is being shoved into the intake increasing HP with speed. If we ever move my racecar into another series I may have to get a Motec system through you and save some big $$$, now if you can also get Hollinger Gearboxes cheaper in Australia.....

STX,
The 35th Anv. Motor is NOT the Nismo S1 motor. The ony differences between this motor and the regular motor are minor parts changes (rod bolts for higher rpm, variable timing on exhaust cam etc) but the biggest change is the software. You are not going to see 35whp gain from a 35th Anv car, maybe 7-9whp. My contacts at Nissan Motorsports have told me that almost all 13hp comes from changing the Programming in the ECU.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Z350Lover

ALong:

Thank you for the further suggestions on the airbox/intake... I am actually thinking about going along that line as well and that's the only thing my motor does not have properly setup yet... it might be worth a try though!!!

About MoTeC computer, we can definitely get it cheaper down here, but you will also need to know who to seek for help when there is a problem/question... you wouldn't want to get stucked half way though... It will be no problem for my shop to help you out too mate!

Not too sure about the gear box though... need to check that out with my friends, they might know more about it as they build quite a lot of race cars, from Rally to Group A GTR...

cheers,

richie
Old 01-28-2005, 06:24 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Richie,

Nice work mate, those are great numbers!

It making gains from around 2600rpm! Which is great considering the cams, looks like the VTC pulleys did what we thought they would
Old 01-28-2005, 07:06 PM
thawk408

Originally posted by ALong
STX,
The 35th Anv. Motor is NOT the Nismo S1 motor. The ony differences between this motor and the regular motor are minor parts changes (rod bolts for higher rpm, variable timing on exhaust cam etc) but the biggest change is the software. You are not going to see 35whp gain from a 35th Anv car, maybe 7-9whp. My contacts at Nissan Motorsports have told me that almost all 13hp comes from changing the Programming in the ECU.
Actually there are many more changes then that. Here's the 300hp motor changes from nissan themselves:

The 2005 35th Anniversary 350Z (with 6-speed manual transmission) and
2005 350Z Track model are both available with an enhanced performance
version of the 3.5-liter V6. Horsepower is rated at 300 hp @ 6,400 rpm –
exactly double that of the original Z®. Torque is 260 lb-ft, versus 148 on the
240Z. Modifications made to achieve 300 horsepower include strengthened
connecting rods and bolts, double-mass crank pulley, strengthened valve
springs, revised shape of the piston head, new camshaft profile, remapped
Electronic Control Module, the addition of valve timing control to the exhaust
cam, modified intake with shorter and wider runners, revised oil pan baffling
and more. The redline has been increased to 7,000 rpm.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:16 PM
287HP

265 on a dyno dynamics is damn good! I was at 238 on a dyno dynamics with nismo cams, borla exhaust, vishnu xede, pop-charger & grounding kit about a year ago.

Quick Reply: My VQS1DE is completed...