Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2005 Track / 35th Anniversary Parts FINALLY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-12-2005, 05:31 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO this plenum isn't worth it if you lose that much torque across the entire torque range, and also HP across the entire midrange just for a little gain in HP at the very top range.

Like Jason was saying, it's probably worth it if you can set the engine up to safely rev higher than stock - kinda like the track model's engine. I'm not saying it's a bad mod, but it might be for like 90% of people who drive on the streets mainly. I do like having good midrange torque and HP. I probably spend most of my spirited driving around 4k rpm's

I'd be curious to see how the lower plenum reacts to an aftermarket upper plenum though - wanna see some more dyno's etc.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
The only reason the rev limiter is where it is at for the non-REV-UP 350z's is because the engine just doesnt make power above 6700RPM...

With this REV-UP mid-plenum it will automatically make it so your peak power is around 6850RPM making a redline of 7200 worth while...

Now... there is ANOTHER VQ35 plenum that there is only one of in the states that is used on motors that will go make power at 7800RPM... We are working on building a motor using this mid-plenum...

I will be installing a crawford cast plenum with my REV-UP mid plenum and dyno'ing the same...

My car since the dyno is alot more responsive then how it was when I first installed the plenum...

I really wish My rev-limiter was removed and I can go up to 7200RPM if not higher... Once the car hits 5800RPM you feel it really start to pull... the top of 2nd gear is now like the top of 1st gear...

Still very happy with this mod... Just wish I could raise my rev limiter sooner...

My plans have changed since I put this on my car...

My goal is a 350-370 RWHP NA motor built with the 46CC heads, the mid plenum, crawford plenum...

The stock connecting rod bolts are perfect... just needs stronger bolts (use NISMO Bolts)... ANy forged or even the REV_UP connecting rod bolts are heavier... I also looked into other pistons... but the other pistons are heavier which is a no no even for stock compression... so why bother... the stock pistons are actually really good and have a good coating on them...

so...

parts are on order just waiting for them to get here now
wait, you said the stock bolts are "perfect", and then in the next sentence you said stronger bolts are needed? pls clarify. what would it cost to buy and install these nismo bolts?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:01 PM
sentry65
the burninator

probably costs quite a bit to replace those bolts - i mean, you're going to be taking the engine apart to do that right?

funny thing is, I'm always getting flamed anytime i bring up reving to like 8000-8500rpm and trying to find out what parts are needed - all I get are replies like it's pointless, you won't make power up that high etc etc. Obviously I bet it can be done, just the parts may or may not be out yet

same with the stroker kit. All anyone on these boards ever says is to go turbo if you want big power. That's fine and all, but what about people that don't want turbo? What about people that want instant throttle response and no delay in torque. I think it's exciting when you can just floor the gas and get an instant jolt.

And who doesn't want to rev to 8000rpm?

turbo is really tempting, but I think I'll get more thrill, and longer engine life with a really high end NA buildup and maybe a decent size nitrous shot for drag racing. Less maintenence too I'd think - not to mention not adding more weight to the front of the car if adding FI
Old 03-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Z BOY

back on topic, hell yeah i'd like to be able to rev to 8k!
Old 03-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by sentry65
probably costs quite a bit to replace those bolts - i mean, you're going to be taking the engine apart to do that right?

funny thing is, I'm always getting flamed anytime i bring up reving to like 8000-8500rpm and trying to find out what parts are needed - all I get are replies like it's pointless, you won't make power up that high etc etc. Obviously I bet it can be done, just the parts may or may not be out yet

same with the stroker kit. All anyone on these boards ever says is to go turbo if you want big power. That's fine and all, but what about people that don't want turbo? What about people that want instant throttle response and no delay in torque. I think it's exciting when you can just floor the gas and get an instant jolt.

And who doesn't want to rev to 8000rpm?

turbo is really tempting, but I think I'll get more thrill, and longer engine life with a really high end NA buildup and maybe a decent size nitrous shot for drag racing. Less maintenence too I'd think - not to mention not adding more weight to the front of the car if adding FI
I just don't think some people realize the extremity of a stroker kit for a daily driver. Oh well....

Jason, any chance of getting that dyno shootout together for those intake plenum options?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by Z BOY
back on topic, hell yeah i'd like to be able to rev to 8k!
Edited your post , please be respectful ...btw, me and sentry have talked in another thread about stroker vs. turbo, he's not on the watch list...

Some people don't realize they are being a smartass I guess...
Old 03-12-2005, 09:04 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
I just don't think some people realize the extremity of a stroker kit for a daily driver. Oh well....

Jason, any chance of getting that dyno shootout together for those intake plenum options?

and a 400whp APS TT is perfectly normal for daily driving?

I guess I really don't understand...
Old 03-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

and a 400whp APS TT is perfectly normal for daily driving?

I guess I really don't understand...
400rwhp N/A with the ability to rev to 8k is perfectly normal for daily driving?

Ditto...

Back on topic though...
Old 03-12-2005, 09:17 PM
sentry65
the burninator

from the thread here
http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...3&page=3&pp=15

Could be wrong, but it might look like Jason is going to set his engine up to rev to 8000 rpm. So we might find out if all the naysayers are right or not... we'll have to stay tuned

i still think the VQ35 is too new for anyone to know what it can and can't do well

I think a lot of people might argue that the Z in stock form is overkill as a daily driver, the power only gets used when you gun it regardless of huge amounts of power or not. People daily drive corvettes and other fast cars. For NA, it makes more sense than FI for daily driving. My dad has a C6 corvette that's faster than my Z with all my mods - though I think 99% of people would say my car is less daily driver material than the C6 due to my mods - same with many other's - especially those with a tilton clutch.

Last edited by sentry65; 03-12-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

from the thread here
http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...3&page=3&pp=15

Could be wrong, but it might look like Jason is going to set his engine up to rev to 8000 rpm. So we might find out if all the naysayers are right or not... we'll have to stay tuned

i still think the VQ35 is too new for anyone to know what it can and can't do well

I think a lot of people might argue that the Z in stock form is overkill as a daily driver, the power only gets used when you gun it regardless of huge amounts of power or not. People daily drive corvettes and other fast cars. For NA, it makes more sense than FI for daily driving. My dad has a C6 corvette that's faster than my Z with all my mods - though I think 99% of people would say my car is less daily driver material than the C6 due to my mods - same with many other's - especially those with a tilton clutch.
I'm not saying it can't or won't rev that high...I just don't see the point other than saying "I was the first one to do it"...

I disagree, it depends on where you live, where I live, there are tons of places to drive fast...
Old 03-13-2005, 11:25 AM
350Z-VDC=Bandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so this moves the powerband further up in the rpm range. so what will this in combination with a spacer do to your low end? dont get me wrong about top end rush but I like stabin the gas at 3k and leaving most traffic in my mirrors. but if the rush is good enough I might stop my lazy driving habbits.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:43 PM
kosmic

Wow, that's some serious NA horsepower. I know it's all theory at the moment, but can you give more details on how you plan to do that?

Now... there is ANOTHER VQ35 plenum that there is only one of in the states that is used on motors that will go make power at 7800RPM... We are working on building a motor using this mid-plenum...

<snip>

My plans have changed since I put this on my car...

My goal is a 350-370 RWHP NA motor built with the 46CC heads, the mid plenum, crawford plenum...

parts are on order just waiting for them to get here now
Old 03-13-2005, 07:45 PM
thawk408

Do you mean crank HP and not rwhp?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:04 AM
350Z-VDC=Bandit

Pobably the same way I plan on doing it......compression bump (heads in his case) and up the rpm the power is made at along with the ability to rev higher. Its been done on nearly every motor ever made. the theroy is if you can only make so much power per revolution, spin the motor faster and you will make more power. But most of the power will come from the compresion bump. the cams heads and plenum all change where that power is made. I would expect 10-15% added hp to the wheels from a 1. compression bump.
So with around 350 crank you would get about 40hp to the wheels. thats just the compression bump add in all the other stuff he is doing better flowing head more volume in the manifold etc. I would say he is going to be making over 380 crank now not quite as wild as jasons original statment that would put him at 320+ rwhp thats ls1 spankin territory and lets not forget that he has a tilton so that 320hp is going to feel closer to 400 that is goin to be nasty. sorry for the novel and to make it worse I spent all this time doing it on a damn palm computer. rememeber this is all based off of a 1 point compression jump he may go higher and in that case 360+ is not so crazy.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 AM
jeffw

What do the NISMO heads up the compression to?

I recall that some on this newsgroup were claiming that it is "common knowledge" that the stock rod bolts go at 7400 RPM. Swapping rod bolts can apparently be done from underneath via removal of the oil pan.

I'm just not sure new rod bolts will let us go all the way to 8k rpm. I'm glad someone is going to try though.

My main worries are that the stock rods themselves won't hold up to those speeds. I think it's possible they'll stretch. I'm sure there are some lightweight aftermarket rods that could handle it though. Also I'm curious how the stock pistons will handle a big increase in compression. It seems fairly common for FI applications to cause loss of compression and increased oil burning on stock pistons. I think upped compression could have similar results.

If it does work out, then I bet with the addition of a 350evo final drive, you won't even notice the loss of torque down low.

--
Jeff
Old 03-14-2005, 07:25 AM
jeffw

One other thing, you're probably going to be hitting some torsional vibration harmonics that Nissan engineers didn't have to worry about since they knew they weren't revving that high. Therefore, you're probably not going to be protected against the vibrations. Also, the need for good balance becomes more critical the faster you rev. Also, changing rod bolts could throw off the balance a bit if you don't rebalance after the swap.
--
Jeff
Old 03-14-2005, 07:52 AM
IceY2K1Max

Anybody have a 2005 Track/35th anniversary dyno yet?

I'm wondering if the 35th anniversary ECU helps restore the torque loss or other measures like cam profile, VTC pulley range, etc..

Also, ARP rod bolts can be installed from underneath, so no need to remove the engine, just lower/upper oil pan from what I've read. For around $125 off ebay sometimes, you can spin 7500rpm on stock rods.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:10 AM
xephiron

I called performance nissan once, I THINK they said those $2k heads increase stock compression to about 11.2 and would only help some on a stock engine. Of course, the more mods you do (like intake/exhaust) the more this will help power.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:13 AM
350Z-VDC=Bandit

where are all the 272-280 cams with a .500 lift at bdc? I think this would be one of many aplications for such an animal. Btw the nismo heads add 1 point of compression. rod bolts can be installed from the bottom but the valves start to float at 7300rpm. torsonal vibration will kill a motor dead (for my country people you know who you are) so anything beyond 7400 I would say needs to be FULLY BUILT (valves valve srings cams rods bearings wristpins pistons etc)

someone mentioned something about doing a vq 30 crank in a vq35 block and got flamed for it but I would like to see something done like this ala' chevey z28 with a 302 (destroked 327) those turned 8k and made over 400 hp

Quick Reply: 2005 Track / 35th Anniversary Parts FINALLY!