Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

short shifter most likely or least likely....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Andys'Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short shifter most likely or least likely....

Will a short shifter increase the gear grind chances or reduce?
I am wondering if a short shifter can actually damage the syncros more than a stock shifter if you half press the clutch or try to shift faster than the syncros can adapt the speed ( I did it many times on my SpecV) since its shorter and there is less room for error.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:19 PM
G3po

Default ss

Originally Posted by Andys'Z
Will a short shifter increase the gear grind chances or reduce?
I am wondering if a short shifter can actually damage the syncros more than a stock shifter if you half press the clutch or try to shift faster than the syncros can adapt the speed ( I did it many times on my SpecV) since its shorter and there is less room for error.
Yes the ability to slap between gears faster increase your chances that the synchros haven't caugth up yet. I found that I need to upgrade to a good synthetic like Redline MT90 to avoid grindage regardless how fast I can shift.
With a Rouge and MT90 I never grind under any circumstance. With the Rouge and OEM grease I could from 1st to 2nd with very rapid , high RPM shifts. The best way to extend syncro life is to properly speed match. Especially always blip the throttle upon downshifting.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

I would have to say the chances are increased, however if the installation is done correctly, and you drive/shift the car like you should, you really shouldn't have any issues with it. However if you try to speed shift through the gears, your Z will complain...
I had tried the B/M shifter about 7 months ago, and i liked it, never had an issue with grinding the gears.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:50 AM
G3po

Default ss

Originally Posted by Tony@Performance
I would have to say the chances are increased, however if the installation is done correctly, and you drive/shift the car like you should, you really shouldn't have any issues with it. However if you try to speed shift through the gears, your Z will complain...
I had tried the B/M shifter about 7 months ago, and i liked it, never had an issue with grinding the gears.
Personally with a Rouge and Redline MT90 (or RP Max), I am able to speed shift as fast as humanly possible and never grind. But with the same setup with "OEM lube", I could get it to grind ~1 out of 20 shifts, mostly at the 1->2 slam.

Note the only reason I swithed from RP to Redline was that the RP mades "cold weather" shifting more difficult (due to the friction modifiers). Once hot, the RP shifting was superior (quieter and smoother), but a good compromise is the Redline. But for a hot weather track car RP Max all the... way...