Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Top 5 mods that won't void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 03:05 PM
projectmrod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Go here for NISMO parts...good selection...good prices (discounts for forum members too). I would do R-Tune...frankly, I don't think most dealer will know. http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...sort=2a&page=1

we get discounts from performance????? awww mannnn. wish i would known about that a few weeks ago.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:56 PM
King56

Seems like there is a common misconception on the nismo stuff, when the dealer installs the piece, the warranty you see is for that piece only. The Nissan parts warranty.

I know a couple guys at nissan, and a few other friends in various dealerships over the years, they all pretty much say the same thing. The only time they consider warranty voids (on engine) is internal engine mods, electrical (ecu) and FI. Pretty much any I/H/E will not cause any engine warranty problems.

My 2 cents
Old 04-15-2005, 12:12 AM
scubasteve

OK.....this is all good information as my car is going in for oil consumption test. I have fought with NNA in the past regarding my S-Tune suspension and they agreed after 6 months to cover it under warranty. I had my alignment done under the TSB. Now, they told me that my warranty will be intact even with my mods for the oil consumption because the oil consumption is an internal issue. Now if I had gone in with a MAF problem and had an oiled filter (ex. K&N) they would have denied warranty. But, all you do is go to the store and buy some cheap drop in and then it's covered!! The head mechanic at my local dealer took me aside and told me not to tell the other mechanics about certain things. He loved to talk about going to the track like Laguna Seca and he would help me out with certain things. Anyway, it's just a little game you have to play.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:44 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DayBlueZ
Crap, i hate the politics of this.
What piggyback doesn't require splicing? Why can't they make plugs to go in between the harness and jacks? Wouldn't that be the easiest thing?
Harness plugs are available. They are pricey, but available. A member on this board makes them. I think his screen name is patch.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:48 AM
RyGarg

Somebody mentioned high flow cats... from what i have heard on some mustang forums, they said tampering with the stock cats in anyway, voids your entire warrenty and the dealership can completely refuse to work on your car... anyone have info on this? i see test-pipes in my future but voiding the warrenty is a no no for me.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:41 AM
Machupo

Originally Posted by RyGarg
Somebody mentioned high flow cats... from what i have heard on some mustang forums, they said tampering with the stock cats in anyway, voids your entire warrenty and the dealership can completely refuse to work on your car... anyone have info on this? i see test-pipes in my future but voiding the warrenty is a no no for me.
hahaha, have to throw up the flag there.... my dealer installed my ultimate racing cats and a week later did a warranty fix on my ABS sensors...

as it has been posted here and other places, with our cars, the aftermarket (non-nismo) must be cited as the cause of the break/damage in order for the repairs not to be done under warranty...
Old 04-21-2005, 10:29 AM
tekneq

um.....can you say all they need is nx....
Old 04-24-2005, 06:22 PM
alininger2001

NX can do alot for tose little civics. One time at the track I ran a 13.9 against a 14.1. The car that ran the 14.1 was a stock sunfire with a 100 shot. He almost ran my time for half as much $$ spent on his car.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:37 PM
TwiZted

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about doing a 3.9 final drive, figure a tech at nissan isnt going to notice that, the gains from the swap are quite good too, always something to consider, hopefully I will have a review on mine this weekend, from what others have seen I am expecting about a .5 sec drop in the 1/4 mile
Old 04-25-2005, 09:36 PM
DayBlueZ

Do you just swap the rear end or what?

I figure the way to go is with,
Exhaust
Intake
3.5 or 3.9 drive
ECU flash
Unorthodox pully set
and maybe a 3/8" plenium spacer
Old 04-25-2005, 09:43 PM
schweatty

ECU flash will void your warrantee for almost any engine related problems. the catch 22 is, if you dont reflash, you wont get much out of your breathing mods. FYI
Old 04-25-2005, 09:44 PM
DayBlueZ

Can they tell it's been done?
Old 04-26-2005, 02:44 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Can they tell it's been done?
Yeah, OBDII scanner will probably pick up a code related to the ECU.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:01 AM
TwiZted

Do you just swap the rear end or what?

I figure the way to go is with,
Exhaust
Intake
3.5 or 3.9 drive
ECU flash
Unorthodox pully set
and maybe a 3/8" plenium spacer
You can get the whole pumpkin pre assembled for about $2100, or you can get just the gear and have it installed. The parts and labor for that cost me about $1500.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:04 AM
frostyrock7c

It's not the right thing to do, but if you put a mod on your Z that does void the warranty or a mod you added caused the problem, you could always uinstall it before you go. I know of individuals that have done such a thing.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:44 PM
abui01

depends on how **** your dealership is. I know of a one around my area stating if ANY mods increase the base HP ratings of the car, your warranty can be voided. Simply the sole fact that such and such added 5HP by swapping out the cats for test pipes or whatever mod caused a malfunction in the piston rings which fried the motor... blah blah blah.. They can basically make-up any BS to void your warranty. If you really want to play it safe, stick to any dealer installed part and absolutely no direct engine mods... preferrably breather mods only (if you must!)
Old 11-13-2005, 10:38 PM
JETPILOT

The dealershsip is not the be all and end all final authority on warranties. As a matter of fact what they tell consumers are out an out lies. See post above.

They can refuse warranty claims but better be sure and be able to prove the aftermarket item caused the warrantied item to fail, or they then pay for your lawyer, their lawyer plus court costs, then fix the item anyway. See... the dealership is banking on the fact that you listen to them when they tell you "you voided your warranty" becasue you installed aftermarket parts. THAT IS A LIE. Most people just go away. Some people know the law, and then file a lawsuit.

Magnuson-Moss Act

Educate yourselves, and don't let the dealership push you around. You can have an 871 Blower Drive Service supercharger sticking out your hood and if the sychros go in your transmission they have to replace it. That's the facts.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 11-13-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Dildorado

Good post JETPILOT, I've heard of that act before and I'm wondering if there's anything similar in Canada.