Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Got around $1500...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wren57
Wow, nice gains! Seriously considering these now... were both dynos SAE corrected and if not were the conditions different?
First dyno was at around noon right at 65 degrees, and the second dyno was 3 1/2 weeks later at 1 p.m. with 60 degree weather.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaki
Yeah, I did it at two different shops, but both were on a dynojet, so I assume the difference wasn't all that big.
I would have given you the benefit of the doubt, but dude even two dynojets SAE corrected are different man. Obviously the first dyno you went to was a "lower reading" dynojet, and the 2nd one a higher one-224 whp on a dynojet in a Z is way off. Ask anybody that knows about dyno's, in every state there are shops known for their "friendly" dyno's and others that read lower. I always dyno at the same shop, but once I went to Philly to dyno, and on the same type of dyno (dynojet) SAE corrected I pulled 6 more whp at best over my previous best. Different dyno's different numbers. I knew there was something fishy with your numbers....its unfair to go around saying "I gained 20+ whp with Crawford's" when you dyno'd at different locations, even if your #'s are SAE corrected.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:31 PM
GY-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
I would have given you the benefit of the doubt, but dude even two dynojets SAE corrected are different man. Obviously the first dyno you went to was a "lower reading" dynojet, and the 2nd one a higher one-224 whp on a dynojet in a Z is way off. Ask anybody that knows about dyno's, in every state there are shops known for their "friendly" dyno's and others that read lower. I always dyno at the same shop, but once I went to Philly to dyno, and on the same type of dyno (dynojet) SAE corrected I pulled 6 more whp at best over my previous best. Different dyno's different numbers. I knew there was something fishy with your numbers....its unfair to go around saying "I gained 20+ whp with Crawford's" when you dyno'd at different locations, even if your #'s are SAE corrected.
+1, thats why i asked.
though no doubt crawford's header got a decent gain.
30whp is just too rediculus i think.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Jaki

The second dyno was done on a club dyno day. Another Z owner went to both dynos with me, and his dyno #'s were almost identical to the first dyno (just 2 or 3 hp off). So, as I stated earlier, I am assuming the #'s aren't off too much. Even so, 24rwhp and 35tq is still a good gain even if there was a 10rwhp and 10tq difference between the two dynos (which I don't think is the case). That would still mean a 14rwhp gain and 25tq, and that is still a good gain on a NA car.
I know my friend's dyno #'s don't have anything to do with my dyno #'s, but I'm assuming since his #'s were just a little off, then my dyno #'s wouldn't be off that much either. And finally, I'm not the only person that had the Crawford headers and gained around 20 rwhp with them.

Edit: Another thing, once again I know that different Z's dyno differently, but all the stock Z's that were at the second dyno dynoed very similar to what I dynoed at the first dyno when I was stock.

Last edited by Jaki; 05-23-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Jaki

Originally Posted by GY-Z
+1, thats why i asked.
though no doubt crawford's header got a decent gain.
30whp is just too rediculus i think.
24rwhp
Old 05-24-2005, 04:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, as I stated earlier, I am assuming the #'s aren't off too much. Even so, 24rwhp and 35tq is still a good gain even if there was a 10rwhp and 10tq difference between the two dynos (which I don't think is the case). That would still mean a 14rwhp gain and 25tq, and that is still a good gain on a NA car.
I know my friend's dyno #'s don't have anything to do with my dyno #'s, but I'm assuming since his #'s were just a little off, then my dyno #'s wouldn't be off that much either.
Like you said yourself your gains are based on assumptions, and that is not smart to base your gains off of. Every dyno Ive ever seen of a Z with headers that provided substantial gains (10+whp) they have all had lower than normal baselines (like yours), kinda weird isnt it? Only way to really have know what you gained would have been to redyno at the same place, with the same number of pulls. I have yet to see a Z dyno with normal numbers and get 10+ whp from ANY header. Anyways who cares, you have a TT now, enjoy that.....
Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 AM
faris13

i say 3.9 final drive about $1500 with part and install. feels like a different car
Old 05-24-2005, 07:56 AM
karmstro

Originally Posted by faris13
i say 3.9 final drive about $1500 with part and install. feels like a different car
What does that do to your gas milage on the hwy?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Jaki

Originally Posted by Alberto
Like you said yourself your gains are based on assumptions, and that is not smart to base your gains off of. Every dyno Ive ever seen of a Z with headers that provided substantial gains (10+whp) they have all had lower than normal baselines (like yours), kinda weird isnt it? Only way to really have know what you gained would have been to redyno at the same place, with the same number of pulls. I have yet to see a Z dyno with normal numbers and get 10+ whp from ANY header. Anyways who cares, you have a TT now, enjoy that.....

We can go on about this for days (no, I am not trying to flame or be rude), and neither of us will prove the EXACT number that I had gained. So I'm just gonna post all the facts, and then people can go about their own opinion about the headers and the numbers.

1.) Yes, I dynoed at two different dyno shops
2.) Both dynos were DynoJets and the #'s were SAE corrected, so they should be close to each other.
3.) The conditions for both dynos were very similar. First dyno was at 65 degrees with moderate humidity, second dyno was at 60 degrees with moderate humidity as well. If it matters, the first dyno was done at noon and the second dyno was done at 1 p.m. 3 1/2 weeks later.
4.) Yes, different dynos give a little different #'s, but even the same dyno is not going to give you the exact same number every time you dyno.
5.) Both dyno shops that I dynoed at are known for giving very accurate #'s.
6.) There was a fellow Z owner that dynoed with me at the same time at both dynoes, and he actually dynoed 2-3rwhp lower on the SECOND dyno, while I had a substantial increase after adding the headers and dynoing.
7.) The were a lot of stock Z's that dynoed very similar numbers on the second dyno as I dynoed on the first dyno. Yes, I know that different cars dyno differently, but they all dynoed very similarly to each other and to my first dyno, so that is somewhat useful in the comparison.
8.) Different Z's do adapt differently to mods and gain different powers from the SAME mod.
9.) Crawford is well known and respected for making high quality products that produce among the highest HP levels in its class.
10.) 24rwhp and 35rwtq is a very substantial gain for just one mod (and yes I was suprised I got such nice numbers). Even if the second dyno does read a little higher (which I believe is not the case because most stock Z's dynoed lower than the average), the numbers woudl still be pretty close. However, neither of us can prove whether or not those are the exact numbers, and how each dyno reads.
11.) Yes, my stock Z dynoed a little lower than the average Z, but it was not that much lower. Once again, most stock Z's down here dyno very similarly to what I dynoed stock.
12.) You dynoed 6rwhp more on a dyno in Philly than on the dyno you ussually go to in Maryland. However, you didn't state how the conditions were for both dynos. How was the weather? Was there a big altitude change? etc.
13.) I dynoed higher with just that one mod (and spent less money) than some Z's that had exhausts, test pipes, pullies, and plenums (yes at the same dyno. However, as I stated earlier, different Z's do adapt differently to mods).
14.) I have seen a few dyno charts of people with Crawford headers that dynoed a gain of around 20rwhp (thats also what convinced me to buy the Crawford headers instead of some other headers).
15.) I do NOT believe that every Z owner will gain 24rwhp and 35tq from the Crawford headers, but I do believe that they will see a GOOD gain.
16.) I do believe that they are pricey, but I do believe that they are a great bang for the buck!
17.) Yes, if I had dynoed at the same dyno shop both times then we could have pretty accurate numbers to what I gained, but unfortunately that was not the case, and once again you won't dyno the same EXACT number.
18.) It doesn't matter what either one of us says, because people will always have different opinions about different things, and that is perfectly fine.

Now I'm pretty sure I left out some things, but I'm running out of time here, so if you see something important that I forgot, then feel free to add it.

I'm not sure about how you feel, but in no way am I arguing or flaming here, I am just stating my experience from a mod that I had and that I think was a great bang for the buck.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:29 AM
GY-Z

We can go on about this for days (no, I am not trying to flame or be rude), and neither of us will prove the EXACT number that I had gained. So I'm just gonna post all the facts, and then people can go about their own opinion about the headers and the numbers.

1.) Yes, I dynoed at two different dyno shops
2.) Both dynos were DynoJets and the #'s were SAE corrected, so they should be close to each other.
3.) The conditions for both dynos were very similar. First dyno was at 65 degrees with moderate humidity, second dyno was at 60 degrees with moderate humidity as well. If it matters, the first dyno was done at noon and the second dyno was done at 1 p.m. 3 1/2 weeks later.
4.) Yes, different dynos give a little different #'s, but even the same dyno is not going to give you the exact same number every time you dyno.
5.) Both dyno shops that I dynoed at are known for giving very accurate #'s.
6.) There was a fellow Z owner that dynoed with me at the same time at both dynoes, and he actually dynoed 2-3rwhp lower on the SECOND dyno, while I had a substantial increase after adding the headers and dynoing.
7.) The were a lot of stock Z's that dynoed very similar numbers on the second dyno as I dynoed on the first dyno. Yes, I know that different cars dyno differently, but they all dynoed very similarly to each other and to my first dyno, so that is somewhat useful in the comparison.
8.) Different Z's do adapt differently to mods and gain different powers from the SAME mod.
9.) Crawford is well known and respected for making high quality products that produce among the highest HP levels in its class.
10.) 24rwhp and 35rwtq is a very substantial gain for just one mod (and yes I was suprised I got such nice numbers). Even if the second dyno does read a little higher (which I believe is not the case because most stock Z's dynoed lower than the average), the numbers woudl still be pretty close. However, neither of us can prove whether or not those are the exact numbers, and how each dyno reads.
11.) Yes, my stock Z dynoed a little lower than the average Z, but it was not that much lower. Once again, most stock Z's down here dyno very similarly to what I dynoed stock.
12.) You dynoed 6rwhp more on a dyno in Philly than on the dyno you ussually go to in Maryland. However, you didn't state how the conditions were for both dynos. How was the weather? Was there a big altitude change? etc.
13.) I dynoed higher with just that one mod (and spent less money) than some Z's that had exhausts, test pipes, pullies, and plenums (yes at the same dyno. However, as I stated earlier, different Z's do adapt differently to mods).
14.) I have seen a few dyno charts of people with Crawford headers that dynoed a gain of around 20rwhp (thats also what convinced me to buy the Crawford headers instead of some other headers).
15.) I do NOT believe that every Z owner will gain 24rwhp and 35tq from the Crawford headers, but I do believe that they will see a GOOD gain.
16.) I do believe that they are pricey, but I do believe that they are a great bang for the buck!
17.) Yes, if I had dynoed at the same dyno shop both times then we could have pretty accurate numbers to what I gained, but unfortunately that was not the case, and once again you won't dyno the same EXACT number.
18.) It doesn't matter what either one of us says, because people will always have different opinions about different things, and that is perfectly fine.

Now I'm pretty sure I left out some things, but I'm running out of time here, so if you see something important that I forgot, then feel free to add it.

I'm not sure about how you feel, but in no way am I arguing or flaming here, I am just stating my experience from a mod that I had and that I think was a great bang for the buck.
no bad feelings taken, mods are some kind of personal preference. you belive in what you belive.no doubt crawford's long tube designe is a nice design, wish to see more dynos with craford headers.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:20 PM
AParshall04

I say either go with exhaust and reflash, but if you decide to get a really nice exhaust like the Greddy Evo2 or HKS you wont have enough left over for the reflash most likely after the install. I have done exhaust, cats, intake, plenum, rims, tires, light flywheel, race clutch, etc, and i felt that the most noticeable gain was from the lightened flywheel. I highly recommend the JWT package, but if you feel like your current clutch & flywheel are still in great condition you could always wait until they wear out more to get the most out of your car.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:12 PM
faris13

Originally Posted by karmstro
What does that do to your gas milage on the hwy?
it's not really significant... i didnt test it out but a few other members did, i think it was very minor. To me the difference it made in the car made up for any mpg decreases caused