Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What do you think of this custom shift knob? Feeler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you think of this custom shift ****? Feeler?

I recently took posession of a beautiful CNC Machined Stainless Steel short shift ****. A good friend of mine, Clint, from So Cal, is an engineer, and developed a CNC program to cut these *****.

I have showed this shift **** to several people at ZDAYZ, and most everyone that has seen it really likes the look and feel. It's a very different and unique shape, vs. the other ***** on the market. And unlike the aluminum ***** that get VERY hot in the sun, this one stays very lukewarm to the touch.

Take a look...any comments? I am sure Clint will chime in with his commentary on how he developed this ****. If there is enough interest, my company is thinking of ordering a special production run of these shifters.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:46 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice! Reminds me a lot of the Nismo GT ***** except this one has a lower piece to it. So you're saying this SS **** stays cool? I'm a bit skeptical on this one unless this material is mixed with something else like Titanium which does stay fairly cool. SS/Aluminum under direct sun light is like grabbing an iron & ice cold during winters.

Last edited by GTNPU Z; 06-06-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:52 PM
MIAPLAYA

What would the cost be?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by GTNPU Z
Looks nice! Reminds me a lot of the Nismo GT ***** except this one has a lower piece to it. So you're saying this SS **** stays cool? I'm a bit skeptical on this one unless this material is mixed with something else like Titanium which does stay fairly cool. SS/Aluminum under direct sun light is like grabbing an iron & ice cold during winters.

Stainless steel remains MUCH cooler than aluminum. I hear you on the AL heat issue....thats why I never bought one. Even on a cool day, the sun shines in the **** soaks up a lot of heat....I could barely put my hand on it for a second. If you get a chance, feel a Kinetics sheetmetal SS plenum after the engine has been running...they are relatively cool to the touch. If that was AL...you could fry an egg on it.

The SS **** stays much cooler. I havent tested it on a 100 degree day, but so far, its been about 90 degrees in Charlotte, and it has been cool enough to grab and go...without burning your hand.

Mia, the cost will be roughly $100 shipped.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:12 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Would you know the weight of this ****?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:44 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually really like the look and feel of the stock ****, but just wish it wasn't so tall. I know that sorta thing would be much more difficult to design and manufacturer though.

What I don't like about a lot of the shift ***** like the nismo is how thin they are. They feel like they poke the palm of your hand rather than rest in it and feel comfortable
Old 06-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Good question. I am sure Clint will chime in with the answer.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:00 PM
tabrizio

It looks pretty good and I like the different style.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Machupo

i haven't a clue about machining, sharif -- can titanium be machined by the same tools in the CNC machine that SS can?

if so, any way I could get a Ti version? (i can probably supply the blank) I just love Ti quite a bit (stays cool, very lightweight, very strong, etc...)

thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 06:42 PM
mucky

Originally Posted by sentry65
I actually really like the look and feel of the stock ****, but just wish it wasn't so tall. I know that sorta thing would be much more difficult to design and manufacturer though.

What I don't like about a lot of the shift ***** like the nismo is how thin they are. They feel like they poke the palm of your hand rather than rest in it and feel comfortable
The OEM **** is longer, but isn't any taller on the shifter. I have a momo air leather **** and the hole is as far up as the stock ****. I read a post once where someone had an easy short shifter. replace the stock ****. This is false for the reason I mentioned. if you cut the factory **** in 1/2 then measere from any point on the shifter, the overall length of the shifter w/ **** will not change. I also like the OEM konb, but it rattled too much with the B&M shifter.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:43 PM
THX723

This was originally intended for personal use, as I failed to locate an aftermarket **** that suited my personal tastes and needs; something that was esthetically pleasing, significantly shorter than stock, firm feel and provides excellent grip (no slips during my road races).

It is solid billet CNC construction out of 303 stainless steel, polished ... highly corrosive and scratch resistant with excellent thermal property (8-10 times better than aluminum). It is shorten quite a bit (from OEM length) for improved appearance and to gives the sensation of a more precise and shorten throw. The shape was designed to be non intrusive to the face of the palm that also facilitates a good grasp while discouraging slipping.

I made two for the heck of it and one of em found its way inside Sharif’s immaculate Z. It's looking good there Sharif! I think it compliments your interior well. Your shifter boot looks kind of out of control there though buddy. Tuck some in son!

303 stainless-steel was chosen for its mass, durability and heat properties. Titanium was originally considered, but proved to be more troublesome to deal with (for my machinest). It's only advantage being better thermal properties. Even then, thermal conductivity of different alloys of titanium vary wilder across the chart. I did liken the fact stainless steel was twice the density of titanium. The secret to a solid and direct shifter is mass. I had an early prototype made out of 6063 aluminum alloy. It looked really sharp, but it just didn't feel right (too light). Every shift felt very cheap and hollow ... much like the oem ****. We won't even get into how ridiculously hot that sucker would get just under the sun of a mild 85-deg. day; easily causing 3rd-degree burns if one were not wary. Into the trash that one went! Under nearly all circumstances ... the SS **** will be warm to the touch. Only under the most extreme condition will it get extremely hot.

Here's a chart showing two physical properties of the metals:

Material ............ Density [g/cm3] ... Thermal Conductivity [W/m-K]
------------------------------------------------------------------
Al alloy (6063) ......... 2.71 ............ 180
Al alloy (2011) ......... 2.82 ............ 138
Ti (alloy) .............. 4.5 - 5.0 ....... 4.8 - 16.3
Stainless Steel (303) ... 8.03 ............ 16.3

I'm glad some of yall like the design. Here are more pics:
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of this custom shift knob?  Feeler?-thx-knob-08.jpg   What do you think of this custom shift knob?  Feeler?-thx-knob-01.jpg   What do you think of this custom shift knob?  Feeler?-thx-knob-03.jpg   What do you think of this custom shift knob?  Feeler?-thx-knob-05.jpg  

Last edited by THX723; 06-06-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:39 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Looks pretty cool... like my GT Ti ****, except taller... I might be interested in this one, but I'd like to handle it a bit before buying though...
Old 06-06-2005, 07:46 PM
THX723

I'd offer a test drive or a test fit in your car ... if you're in SoCal.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Nano

Looks great

I would not mind having one in my Z

100$ shipped sounds about right, but if you get a large interest going, hopefully the price could drop a little.

How much does it weight over stock ****? I don't mind something with a more "solid" feel

Last edited by Nano; 06-06-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:05 PM
THX723

I never did get a chance to wiegh it, but it's pretty solid. I'd guess ~10-12 oz.??? certinaly more than the oem ****.

Originally Posted by Machupo
can titanium be machined by the same tools in the CNC machine that SS can?
Yes and no. All the cutting tools will need to be replaced with more expensive and higher duty parts that'll stand up to the abuse of Ti. The feed rate will also need to be reduced ... increasing production time. Tapping the inside thread will also be tricky as Ti readily expands under heat. Bottom line ... it's a royal biatch. At this time ... no plan for the Ti version. Not for something as limited as this.

Last edited by THX723; 06-06-2005 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:53 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Overall I like the way it looks. I think maybe going a little bit bigger on the diameter might be good to help it feel better in your hand. Like sentry65 is saying the smaller diameter ***** tend to dig into your hand a bit.

BTW if you can't weigh the ****, could you get a measuring cup and check it's displacement? So long as the displacement measurement is accurate you can figure out the weight.

I'm interested in this critter.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:55 PM
JKDman

I've actually seen it and shifted with this ****.
As soon as i gunned it thru the different gears, i knew i had to have one.

For me, non-slipping is VERY important also.
Not for my road races but my highway rushes j/k

In the past, i've used the following ***** in chronological order:
Stock => NISMO Ti GT => UTR Titanium (blue tip) => THX SS **** (hopefully soon)
I'm rocking the UTR one presently. I prefer the UTR over NISMO GT because it slips less. The GT **** felt better in my hand but had a tendency to slip once in a while (mornings or dry hands) The UTR slips less because it seems to be less "porous" and your hand seems to attach to it better.

With this SS ****, it's pure grippage. Your hand doesn't have to BALL up to grab the shifter.
Instead, it's a true "pistol grip". However, still allows you to grip it from the top like a ball.

Can't wait til i get my own.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Z BOY

i like the finisher. there aren't enough nice finishers for sale out there.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:03 PM
tinman

Deng Clint..you're good.right on everything so far.btw,**** is 11.2 oz to be exact.i hope no one worry about the weight.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:08 PM
THX723

Well ... there you have it. 11.2 oz

Thanks Tinman!

Quick Reply: What do you think of this custom shift knob? Feeler?