Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What do Grounding kits do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 07:37 PM
Jergens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do Grounding kits do?

Sorry I tried a forum search but didn't really find anything that explicitly detailed what exactly these things do =).... anyone bring me up to speed? God I can't stand this freakin wait!!!!

~Josh
Old 12-03-2002, 12:32 AM
Phatmitzu

I asked the same thing before...no one knew...but everyones buying it
Old 12-03-2002, 04:11 AM
insaneamine
Inventor
Z-Xtreme.com

Default What do they do?

This is a paraphrase from another post:

350Z Engine Grounding / Earthing Kit:

Automotive electrical and computer systems are designed to tolerate up to 100% noise on its input lines. Meaning, if the ECU is expecting a 12-volt input signal, the signal may vary in the range of 0 to 12 volts. Fluctuations in signal are due to noise in the system. Noise is generated by spark plugs firing, discharges through the tires to the road, alternator turning on/off, etc. In other words, there is a lot of inherent noise an automotive electrical system.

One of the best-proven ways to compensate for noise is with proper grounding.

When measuring a DC (direct current) signal, almost any kind of wire will due. However, when measuring a high frequency input (i.e. the mass air flow sensor or the air/fuel mixture sensor) it is necessary to run a ground wire in parallel with your signal. The engine grounding/earthing kit provides grounding along side each signal wire.

The 350Z Engine Grounding / Earthing Kit allows for cleaner data transfer to the ECU. The result is more accurate measurements by the ECU and therefore more accurate performance, smoother idle and acceleration.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Ohio350z

Yeah it is another thing you can wast a couple of hundred buck on that doesn't do anything to substantially improve the performance of your car. You can also pick up a few copper bracelets for your wrist to reduce the pain caused by the vibration of the shifter and you can get some magnets to help you reduce the pain in your back from driving down crappy and bumpy roads. And if you believe all this I have a bridge in the Bronx I would like to sell you. I think you would be better off putting the money towards a turbo or supercharger or new peformance tires that will actually improve the performance of your car.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:51 PM
imntcrzy

sounds like snake oil huh?

that's what me and my friend thought. plus the ground wires are not even near; alternator, starter or anything else that is electrical....

however, immediately after installing my diy earth kit ( or rather a hybrid of victor's kit, thanks VQRacer) I noticed a noticable difference in how smooth the motor revs also seems like it may rev a bit smoother. Unless my car miraculously broke in at the exact same time as I installed the earth kit.... I have to conclude that it does something.

I think that is a well spent $50-$200 dollars
Old 12-03-2002, 07:13 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by imntcrzy
sounds like snake oil huh?

that's what me and my friend thought. plus the ground wires are not even near; alternator, starter or anything else that is electrical....

however, immediately after installing my diy earth kit ( or rather a hybrid of victor's kit, thanks VQRacer) I noticed a noticable difference in how smooth the motor revs also seems like it may rev a bit smoother. Unless my car miraculously broke in at the exact same time as I installed the earth kit.... I have to conclude that it does something.

I think that is a well spent $50-$200 dollars
I agree with ya as well. Was a skeptic, now a believer . Mind you, it's not like Honda smooth, but an improvement.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:05 PM
sands

The engine is smoother above 4k rpm after this mod. I used the precut 4 gauge cable found at Autozone, only cost 25 bucks.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:39 AM
timzerofive

There was an article on this in SCC magazine I think. They actually dynoed a celica for baseline and after the grounding kit is installed. They actually got a 5hp gain to the wheel. Supposedly these wires uses lots of copper for optimal electrical conduction or something, and also with great insulation that results in less resistance and interference.