Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?

Old 06-27-2005, 09:20 AM
jukljs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this and it makes a great difference. The car feels so much better to drive now. I can see 4-5 threads on the screw like in the picture. But, I get this clunking sound when i press down on the clutch just before the disengagement point. I hear the sound coming from under the car but I can't see where it is coming from. I dont see why it would come from under the car though because I didn't change anything under there. Any suggestions??
Old 06-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Tantrum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmmm. weird!! I cant think of anything. but, where exactly under the car? on the front? back? right under the gearbox?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:04 PM
teacher

Default Great idea!

Thanks Tantrum!

I did it several days ago. Took me awhile due to minimal room to work, but it`s done. I turned the rod about 2.5 turns I believe (my mark wore off the rod as I Wrenched it ). I`d say the pedal dropped a good inch or more total. I believe the clutch may just be lower than the brake pedal as it sits now.

The clutch throw feels about 1/4 or 1/3 less than before. No more high stepping to drive this thing!

Jack
Old 06-28-2005, 09:18 AM
jukljs

it sounds like it is coming from the top of the clutch pedal area but on the outside. I can also feel the vibration of the sound in the gear shift ****.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:17 PM
ZpEeDRaCeR

I hate this mod!!! First i bought a 10mm wrench and it was too big. so then i tried a 9mm with no luck. Then i realized i was trying to unscrew the wrong bolt! After about 5 trips to Lowes to return the wrenches i finally found the right bolt but it still needed a 12mm wrench not the 10mm. Well, after 4 hours of neck twisting and wrenching, I had turned the rod the wrong way and it fell out of the fork. It took a solid hour to put it back in. Now i cant screw it back in too far because i stripped it. The pedal is further out then when i started, i wasted 5 hours, and my fingers hurt like hell. AHHHHHHHHH!

Last edited by ZpEeDRaCeR; 06-28-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:05 PM
jkoc

Originally Posted by ZpEeDRaCeR
I hate this mod!!! First i bought a 10mm wrench and it was too big. so then i tried a 9mm with no luck. Then i realized i was trying to unscrew the wrong bolt! After about 5 trips to Lowes to return the wrenches i finally found the right bolt but it still needed a 12mm wrench not the 10mm. Well, after 4 hours of neck twisting and wrenching, I had turned the rod the wrong way and it fell out of the fork. It took a solid hour to put it back in. Now i cant screw it back in too far because i stripped it. The pedal is further out then when i started, i wasted 5 hours, and my fingers hurt like hell. AHHHHHHHHH!
oh man.. the instructions say to turn clockwise, but thats wrong -- or it depends on the perspective. i posted earlier that the turn should be counter clockwise in order to LOWER the clutch....

no offense but... your story is funny heh heh this should take only 10 minutes.

what did you strip? youre just loosening a nut and turning a rod... you should be able to do this with a gripped plyer. as for the nut, if you stripped the hex edges, you can still tighten it with a gripped plyer...

good luck.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ZpEeDRaCeR
Not being mechanically inclined, I laughed my a$$ off at this, because this is Exactly something that would happen to me (I didn't, but it could have.)
Old 06-29-2005, 11:04 AM
jkoc

yes.. i'm totally not mechanically inclined but i still like to install and mod stuff myself if possible -- ya learn alot . i too could easily get into the mess that zpeedracer just went thru.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:04 PM
ZpEeDRaCeR

i was meant to be funny. I went through a lot of crap to only make it worse, but i don't care. i enjoyed working on it and i learned a lot. Now to take it to the dealership and have them fix it so ican actually push my clutch in without using hulk foot strength and still having it sticking. ohhhhhh well.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:32 PM
steela2110

I tried to do this the other day but could not break to nut loose.... any suggestions?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by steela2110
I tried to do this the other day but could not break to nut loose.... any suggestions?
Make sure you take out the dead pedal, fuse box cover, and black plastic cover to get enough room.

Make sure you have the right wrench (12mm worked for me).

Make sure you hold the fork tight with the screw driver wedged in there.

Then if you still can't get to the nut, try to shift the fork around and you should be able to get the wrench on it. Then hold the fork tight by placing the screw driver through it to stabilize it and pull the opposite way with the screwdriver as you twist the nut with the wrench. It's on there pretty tight, but it will loosen if you can get some oomf in there.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:28 AM
elms350Z

Great Post! This was my biggest perk when I first got my 05 Z. Took me 2 months to really get used to it. Even now my take offs are random.

Thanks -
Old 07-20-2005, 11:35 AM
DanOnTheRoad

Can't wait to do this.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Tantrum

by the way guys. after you make the mod, test your cruise control. if it doesnt work, make sure that you adjust the cruise control switch as well. your clutch should touch the little switch after it is all the way up
Old 07-20-2005, 12:16 PM
DanOnTheRoad

Originally Posted by Tantrum
by the way guys. after you make the mod, test your cruise control. if it doesnt work, make sure that you adjust the cruise control switch as well. your clutch should touch the little switch after it is all the way up
Cruise control? Who uses cruise control at the speeds we travel?

Noted and thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Tantrum

that is not about using the cruise control. cruise control is related to million different things. you do not want to disconnect any kind of relation in the car. if your cruise doesnt work for 3-4 days. you check engine light will come out, even though you dont have to check your engine. we drive a half computer, our cars are not 67 Mustang GT500 where no computer is involved.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:37 PM
DanOnTheRoad

Originally Posted by Tantrum
that is not about using the cruise control. cruise control is related to million different things. you do not want to disconnect any kind of relation in the car. if your cruise doesnt work for 3-4 days. you check engine light will come out, even though you dont have to check your engine. we drive a half computer, our cars are not 67 Mustang GT500 where no computer is involved.
I think you misread my sarcasim. LOL...I will defintely make sure my cruise control works. My car's only a month old and the last thing I want is something not working.

Thanks though. Shows ya really car about members.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:15 PM
DanOnTheRoad

I just did this mod last night and it's great. It's like a whole new car, and mine's only 6 weeks old to begin with. Took like 10 minutes. 1.75 turns.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:41 PM
teacher

Default cruise control ...

I did this mod a month ago. I moved the pedal enough to not allow the cruise to engage anymore. I have only tried to engage the cruise 1 time - for about 10 seconds . No CEL is on, so I don`t see a need to work on the cruise control.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:59 PM
nicolaycastro

I did it to my car yesterday too, and its great, thanks tantrum.

Ohh BTW some one sent me an attachment of a page of the service manuela where it is explained how to adjust the clutch, so it is not bad or wrong to adjusted, I'll try to find the attachment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?