Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Removing the fuse for the VDC/Traction control safe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 03:46 PM
xephiron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
no you're thinking of what an LSD does, TCS is not what you're describing
oh duh, hehe, sorry ya I mixed it up. LSD is mechanical anyway isn't it in our car? Don't think you can disable it without actually removing it.

So I may try this next time I go to the track, either unplugging that grey wire or better yet just popping the fuse. Since people are saying it drives more rugged, stronger/quicker shifts, etc. Could be helpful...
Old 08-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Nano

interesting...

but there are a whole bunch of greyish connectors in that area

Originally Posted by Chebosto
a trick some of the drifters taught me this past weekend,

if you look at the aluminum/silver brake box underthe hood (near the brake fluid)
there will be a grey wire connector. if you unplug that, you will disable ABS, VDC, AND tcs for the track. your warning lights will go on in the dash, but all those systems will be offline so you can get really sideways... once you replug it back in, the warning lights turn back off and you're back to normal...
Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Z350Lover

Originally Posted by njsho
According to the diagram posted you should switch the Orange wire running to the yaw sensor, this will cut 12V to the sensor.
That's what I did exactly... and wire a switch to it and you can turn off the SLIP (TCS) and the VCD together while keeping the ABS on still! and you can turn those back on by restarting your engine (with the rocker switch switched back)... I think you can just switch those back by flicking the rocker switch, but since there are already faults got logged on the computer, so the lights would not go away... but they might be actually working already(?!)

cheers,

richie
Old 08-26-2005, 07:41 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

any idea if the speedo is dead if that fuse is pulled?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:07 PM
MATTRESS MAN

Originally Posted by Chebosto
a trick some of the drifters taught me this past weekend,

if you look at the aluminum/silver brake box underthe hood (near the brake fluid)
there will be a grey wire connector. if you unplug that, you will disable ABS, VDC, AND tcs for the track. your warning lights will go on in the dash, but all those systems will be offline so you can get really sideways... once you replug it back in, the warning lights turn back off and you're back to normal...
I see this connector, its the connector with many wires going into and it's down facing (pull it down to unplug) correct? Also, can anyone tell me...I have a 2004 enthusiast (with a TCS button/light) but ther is no fuse for it in the fuse box under the hood. Its actually and empty space. My buddy has a 2003 entusiast (with a VDC button/light) and he has the fuse. What's the deal here?
Thanks,
JP
Old 08-28-2005, 11:44 AM
benzz280

Z350Lover, is this orange wire found near the yaw sensor under the center console? All that is needed to do is just wire a switch anywhere along this orange wire right?
Old 08-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Z350Lover

YES..... BENZZ280.... it is correct.... That's the power wire (please double check it with multimeters) to the yaw sensor.... by disconnecting the power to the yaw sensor, you will actually disabling the functions of SLIP and the VDC... you should be able to try this out before you put a switch there by cutting and re-joining the wire back together... Once you cut the wire, both VDC and SLIP lights should be up... and after you re-join the wire, you gotta turn the car off to reset the computer (so the VDC/SLIP lights will get cleared) to see the effect!

Best of luck!

cheers,

richie
Old 08-28-2005, 05:28 PM
benzz280

Thanks for the reply mate! Perhaps I missed this, but the orange wire should be accessible just only by removing the center console right?
Old 08-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Z350Lover

I think you didn't miss it, I didn't answer that instead.. yes.... you can see the yaw sensor when the centre console is removed... the yaw sensor is actually in between the gear shifter and the ash tray UNDER the centre console... you will see 6 wires with a connector going into the yaw sensor.... and one of them should be in orange colour (it is a grey wire for Aussie spec z instead).

cheers,

richie
Old 09-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Havok_RLS2

Will this fix take care of the "Fuel cut while braking" issue we seem to be having? When ever I attempt to apply gas and brake at the same time, there is a power loss. Other have noticed it as well in other threads but no one seem to have an answer as to how to fix it. Is this a function that would also be controled by the TCS\VDC system?

Any good answers would help. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:55 AM
Z350Lover

I think that's controlled by VDC/TCS... because VDC will kick in when you lose control of your car WHILE braking... and I think it fits perfectly under this circumstances (applying gas while braking at the same time), doesn't it?

cheers,

richie
Old 09-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MATTRESS MAN
I see this connector, its the connector with many wires going into and it's down facing (pull it down to unplug) correct? Also, can anyone tell me...I have a 2004 enthusiast (with a TCS button/light) but ther is no fuse for it in the fuse box under the hood. Its actually and empty space. My buddy has a 2003 entusiast (with a VDC button/light) and he has the fuse. What's the deal here?
Thanks,
JP

See Attachment.
Attached Thumbnails Removing the fuse for the VDC/Traction control safe?-vdctcsabsacuator.jpg  
Old 02-17-2006, 01:35 PM
zedated

Okay, I think I've read every post in every thread about VDC disable. I understand that killing power to the Yaw Rate Sensor creates a YRS fault condition in the VDC controller that effectively disables VDC. You can also create an ABS fault condition by disconnecting a cable on the ABS unit. This effectively disables VDC and ABS. You can also create fault conditions by removing one or more fuses with possibly undesirable results.

In any case, the VDC Off and SLIP lights come on and stay on. So I'm wondering why don't these lights appear on a Base model (e.g. are the lights disconnected)? And, by extension, can VDC be disabled without seeing these lights on the dash?

I studied this diagram https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....7&d=1119851995 and wondered if it is possible to trick the VDC controller into thinking it is getting good (normal yaw) data from the Yaw Rate Sensor? In other words, instead of killing the sensor, can it simply provide "good" data all the time? Without knowing how the sensor operates, I can't really say, but what is the "Reference" pin all about? Is it possible that the VDC controller compares data from one or both of the "Output" pins to the data from the "Reference" pin to determine if yaw is out of tolerance? If so, could the Reference data be mapped to the Output wire going to the VDC controller?

This is all my speculation and theory. I'm no electrical engineer, but I can visualize the software logic that would be necessary to do this, so I began to wonder. Any thoughts?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:15 PM
barthelb
Master

You guys are forgetting 1 major back draw. Your brake lights don't work. So no one will see that your braking. If you pull the fuse inside the car, pump your brakes 3 times and hold. You'll notice teh ABS, Slip And VDC off come on if not already on. Now if you have someone check for you, your brake lights shouldn't work. So becareful.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:09 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by zedated
In any case, the VDC Off and SLIP lights come on and stay on. So I'm wondering why don't these lights appear on a Base model (e.g. are the lights disconnected)?
Simple - the base doesn't have TCS or VDC.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:16 AM
zedated

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Simple - the base doesn't have TCS or VDC.
That's an oversimplified answer. Regardless of model, all Z's are probably 98% the same, with the same electronics, etc. The instrument clusters are the same, the indicator lights are the same, the ECU's are the same. Some electronic controller somewhere controls the indicator lights. Perhaps a whole controller is missing in the Base model, or perhaps a bit flag is set somewhere that tells the controller to ignore faulty or missing input data (i.e. yaw rate) and thus, skip the indicators. My point is this... there should be a simple way to revert your Z from "VDC/TCS enabled" to "Non-VDC/TCS enabled," thereby avoiding the indicator lights.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:30 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by zedated
That's an oversimplified answer. Regardless of model, all Z's are probably 98% the same, with the same electronics, etc. The instrument clusters are the same, the indicator lights are the same, the ECU's are the same. Some electronic controller somewhere controls the indicator lights. Perhaps a whole controller is missing in the Base model, or perhaps a bit flag is set somewhere that tells the controller to ignore faulty or missing input data (i.e. yaw rate) and thus, skip the indicators. My point is this... there should be a simple way to revert your Z from "VDC/TCS enabled" to "Non-VDC/TCS enabled," thereby avoiding the indicator lights.

you're overcomplicating it. If there's no TCS or VDC, there's no controller for those items, therefore, there's no wiring to the ECU for them, no programming to notice if they're not working right, and probably no lights in the dash to even light up if there was a short. If there's no wiring to the ecu from the controllers, there's no signal wire from the ecu to the dash for vdc/tcs.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Slip and Slide

So what you guys are saying is that even after I push that botton under my dash there is still some sort of traction control and vdc?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:02 PM
twenzel

If you really want to slide. Chestbosto's way is the ticket. I've been driving with out ABS, TCS, or VDC for the past 6 months. And I love it. Not recomended to the novice driver to disable ABS though. Be Careful!
Old 02-19-2006, 07:40 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
eric:

my friend (DavidM) gave me a section of 350z service manual or handbook whichever you want to call it... and it shows the wiring diagram of the VDC/ABS/TCS computer in our car...

You can ask any auto electrician to carry out this job for ya given him with these two diagrams and a rocker switch for him to wire the POWER IN from the VDC computer to the Rocker Switch, then POWER OUT to the Yaw Sensor located under the centre console... And of course the earth wire will need to be wired in too... Be careful on wiring those wires as if he wires the power to the earth, the electrician will blow your VDC computer and it will cost you somewhere around 800 to 900 USD bill to get another replacement... and of course... you can put the rocker switch anywhere you want in the car...

Thie Rocker switch can switch the power off to the Yaw sensor from the VDC control unit... and therefore, you will not have the VDC and Traction control... but the ABS will still be working as it is part of the VDC computer, not related to the Yaw sensor...

You can switch both VDC and TCS off when the car is moving, but you will not be able to switch it back on until you restart the engine again (with the switch turned on to allow power to go into Yaw sensor) because the computer will register it as a fault to the yaw sensor or vdc control module until it re-checks it again during the next start up... and you can leave the rocker switch at the VDC/TCS off position even when you start up your car... and if you allow the power to go through the switch (VDC/TCS on), you can still use the factory button to control VDC on/off whenever you want...

DavidM (Aussie member) has already carried out the test during DECA day and you could throw his car around and do whatever he wants with the VDC/TCS turned off.... he has already got his unit installed for over 5 weeks already without any issue... I just had mine installed for 1 week... and one thing I am sure is that the ABS is still working even when the VDC/TCS are off.

Hope this info helps mate!

cheers,

richie

Why do you need the ground wire from the switch? Shouldnt you just cut the orange wire and put the switch inline and thats it?

Quick Reply: Removing the fuse for the VDC/Traction control safe?