Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rebuilt head and AEBS 4.3 Stroker Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:25 AM
dch760

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt head and AEBS 4.3 Stroker Kit

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Currently, the Z is in the shop awaiting the install of some JWT cams and a Ferrera Valve kit, therefore, I should have a completely rebuild head with the Kinetix SSV intake ..but how much will this new head achieve without a rebuilt bottom end?

As I've been doing more research I would like to get an AEBS 4.3 NA Stroker kit for the Z. Of course, this would be in the next 4-6 months due to the $$ on the stroker kit. I would rather do this all at once to save on Labor and parts, because if I were to do the head first and then the stroker kit I will pay an outrageous amount for install after it's all added up, and it will just be breaking down the engine twice. Plus, if I'm going to get a built motor I would like it all built at the same time.

For now I was thinking of putting everything on hold on the Z. But it's going to suck having a set of cams and a valve kit that I will just be looking at for the next few months.

I would also really appreciate your opinions and ideas on the matter. Also, if you think I'm overlooking something please let me know. I should be ordering parts here and there while I'm waiting to have enough $$$ for the stroker kit. I think the only things I'm missing for install are new head gaskets, and head and main studs.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Machupo

easy question...

is the labor $ to rebuild the engine once worth the added enjoyment you will get out of the car for the next 4-6 months?

if so, do the headwork now, if not, hold off and just bear it...

i was thinking the same thing... i'm building a bottom end in the next month or two and was wondering if i should hold off on getting an ECU reflash until after the motor is all together (doing some headwork as well). I said **** it, since I think i would get more than $600 of added enjoyment out of the reflashed car in the next two months.

my $.02

Originally Posted by dch760
I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Currently, the Z is in the shop awaiting the install of some JWT cams and a Ferrera Valve kit, therefore, I should have a completely rebuild head with the Kinetix SSV intake ..but how much will this new head achieve without a rebuilt bottom end?

As I've been doing more research I would like to get an AEBS 4.3 NA Stroker kit for the Z. Of course, this would be in the next 4-6 months due to the $$ on the stroker kit. I would rather do this all at once to save on Labor and parts, because if I were to do the head first and then the stroker kit I will pay an outrageous amount for install after it's all added up, and it will just be breaking down the engine twice. Plus, if I'm going to get a built motor I would like it all built at the same time.

For now I was thinking of putting everything on hold on the Z. But it's going to suck having a set of cams and a valve kit that I will just be looking at for the next few months.

I would also really appreciate your opinions and ideas on the matter. Also, if you think I'm overlooking something please let me know. I should be ordering parts here and there while I'm waiting to have enough $$$ for the stroker kit. I think the only things I'm missing for install are new head gaskets, and head and main studs.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Z350Lover

dch760:

I think you will notice that your bill will get larger and larger once you have the stroker kit in... because you will definitely need a new computer (most likely stand alone one) to handle the totally different characteristics of the engine (which will have larger capacity with higher compression ratio) and I don't think a reflash will do this type of job for ya... so you are looking at the motec computer or even AEM for the better performance to go with those mods...

Machupo is right... I will just go ahead with the cam works first and enjoy the ride for say 4 to 6 months.... and also during this 4-6 months time, you can be able to do more researches into what exactly you need to buy to run the stroker kit instead of keep on building the engine up and you have no idea what you need next and running out of money and need to wait for another few months = no car to enjoy on the road...

My 2 cent as well!

cheers,

richie
Old 06-28-2005, 09:58 PM
dch760

Thanks for your input guys. I think I'm going stay 3.5 for now but I will be building the bottom end with some high compression pistons (Esprit or SGP,11.5:1), Pauter forged rods, High strength rod bolts, and a new crankshaft (maybe Nismo if possible).

I'll be getting the pistons, rods, and bolts by next week but getting the crank will probably be the biggest problem, or I should say delay. I'll see how it goes and then make the decision on the crank once I have the rest of the parts on order.

I did receive something nice today's mail though...
Attached Thumbnails Rebuilt head and AEBS 4.3 Stroker Kit-ferrera-valve-kit.jpg   Rebuilt head and AEBS 4.3 Stroker Kit-ferrera-valve-kit-2.jpg  
Old 06-29-2005, 03:23 AM
Machupo

nice -- you going oversize or stock?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:06 AM
dch760

1mm oversized kit.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 AM
pimp1911

Where are you getting your rod bolts from?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:11 AM
dch760

The rod bolts are actually going to come with the Pauter Rods already. But if you're looking for the bolts only, Nismo makes the only set I've seen. I'm sure there are different brands out there but here is a link to the Nismos:

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ine&prodid=924

So here is what I'm expecting to go in:

JWT camshafts (already have)
Ferrea racing valve kit (already have)
Nismo metal headgasket (on order)
ARP Main & head studs (on order)
Pauter forged rods & bolts. (on order)
Esprit or SGP 11.5:1 high compression pistons. (will order next week)
Nismo Crank (not sure about this yet. I was thinking of getting this since it is capable of 8500rpms but the valve kit can only handle about 7350rpms max, so I won't see a big benefit from it)

After the engine is built I'll probably throw some 3.9 gears and a OS Giken LSD to finish it off.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:34 AM
JisNis

Old 06-29-2005, 11:48 AM
pimp1911

Thanks for the info I want to duplicate what your doing.I think the key for the NA folks to get over 300 hp is to bump up compression and do something about the ECU. The ECU is my biggest worry and would we have to switch to race gas.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Nano

you used "save money" and "stroker kit" in the same sentence.

stroker kit is like a supermassive black hole, one thing is going to lead to another, especially if you don't know what you are getting into.

sentence should go like "I have ludicrous amount of $$$ that I need to vaporize instantly, can the AEBS stroker kit do that?" . Anyway, I say what you can achieve NA at 4.3L, you can achieve at 3.5L.

ARP does make rod bolts for VQ35DE btw

Last edited by Nano; 06-29-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:30 PM
dch760

You're right the ECU will be the biggest issue after the compression is raised. I'm thinking the Motec will probably be the only way to go at that point, especially for tuning. I'm going to do the install and try the stock ECU with a Unichip, don't know if it will work but worth giving a shot I guess.

LOL Nano you're right on your assessment...after doing more and more research I quickly found that out.

Last edited by dch760; 06-29-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Z350Lover

dch760:

With the unichip, you will not be able to get anywhere though because it will not be able to alter the cam angle of the VTC for your wild cams (to get the max out of the cams you have) and also if you have HC pistons, you will be better off to go for motec... Nizpro will supply a motec with its wiring loom and all the necessary sensors for around 6500 AUD... it is a plug and play module and I believe the base map is in there as well...

I feel excited that you are going to go for the HC pistons with stronger rods (are those rods lighter too?)!!! cannot wait to see the result mate! Really want someone to do that before I have ***** to go ahead again.... I was one of the first to go for the motec, nismo spec 1 cams, nismo con-rod bolts (show no problem with 7300rpm) and the nismo VTC... I am a bit afraid of being the first to do things now as it wasted quite a lot of my time (4 months) and $$$ trying out different tunes... but I would say.... if you go for Nizpro's motec setup, it will surely save you A LOT of money later on down the track!

cheers and please keep us posted,

richie
Old 06-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Good day

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
dch760:

With the unichip, you will not be able to get anywhere though because it will not be able to alter the cam angle of the VTC for your wild cams (to get the max out of the cams you have) and also if you have HC pistons, you will be better off to go for motec... Nizpro will supply a motec with its wiring loom and all the necessary sensors for around 6500 AUD... it is a plug and play module and I believe the base map is in there as well...

I feel excited that you are going to go for the HC pistons with stronger rods (are those rods lighter too?)!!! cannot wait to see the result mate! Really want someone to do that before I have ***** to go ahead again.... I was one of the first to go for the motec, nismo spec 1 cams, nismo con-rod bolts (show no problem with 7300rpm) and the nismo VTC... I am a bit afraid of being the first to do things now as it wasted quite a lot of my time (4 months) and $$$ trying out different tunes... but I would say.... if you go for Nizpro's motec setup, it will surely save you A LOT of money later on down the track!

cheers and please keep us posted,

richie
Can Motec M600 manage the 4.3L AEBS? If so I think this combination (with head work, cams, headers, strong clutch) will deliver the HP and torque that many of us looking for in N/A

Any comment?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dch 760
Don't waste your money on the Nismo crank, To the best of my knowlage there has been absolutly no problems with the stock crankshaft.
It's a pitty you have already purchased the Pauter rods & Ferrera valves & Jim Wolf cams.
Your thinking why? All these products are 1st class & your right. But you are building a high output motor on a budget & I think your money could be better spent.
The Pauter rod is a beutifully made rod & probably the strongest around but it is heavier than the stock rod (Great for FI or Nitrous). The I beam Carrillo rod is signifigantly lighter than stock & a better choice for a high rev NA motor.
IMHO the Nismo S1, or my choice the S2 284 In 268 Ex with stock heads, 11.5 CR pistons & managed by Nizpro's Motec will make more power than JW/ Ferrera/ Unichip combo.
With a set of Headers & exhaust my selection will be making 350/360HP @ the crank on the best available pump gas.
The Performance Nissan Grand Am racer is a +350HP motor with the S1 cams & Motec on race gas but stock compresion & heads

Last edited by Nathan; 06-29-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Z350Lover

Peter:

I remembered you told me a brand of rods are actually heavier than the stock rods... and now I now it was the pauter rods that you were talking about, that was also why I asked dch if the rods that he has got there are ligher items if they are gonna be used for N/A application...

So the Nissan Grand AM racer runs the same engine as mine? with S1 cams, Motec and with the stock compression and heads, but just with race fuel... that sounds cool....

Just an update for ya Pete.... my car is running perfectly fine without any problem at all after getting it back from Nizpro... just that there is a slight jerky feeling whenever I swap the gears and the rev falls at around 2000rpm... nizpro explained to me that it might just due to the cams and the vtc that I have got, but they will look at it a bit later!!!

cheers and will chat with you more on the phone later!

richie
Old 06-30-2005, 02:28 AM
Z350Lover

Good Day:

Motec can surely manage the 4.3L kit and makes it run nicely too.... I think that is no problem too.... just go to www.motec.com.au to explore more on what motec computer can do!

cheers,

richie
Old 06-30-2005, 07:00 AM
dch760

Damn now I feel pretty dumb for not doing enough research on the damn rods Well since they aren't in stock at the moment I guess I can still see if I can change them without paying the %10 restocking fee.

My only concern is once this whole kit is installed will the Z run on 91 octane?? There are a few places around here where I can get 93 but that's about a 30min drive...sucks living in a small town.

A few people have said that this will only run on race fuel? If that's the case I might have a big problem on my hands.

Last edited by dch760; 06-30-2005 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:57 AM
GY-Z

Originally Posted by dch760
Damn now I feel pretty dumb for not doing enough research on the damn rods Well since they aren't in stock at the moment I guess I can still see if I can change them without paying the %10 restocking fee.

My only concern is once this whole kit is installed will the Z run on 91 octane?? There are a few places around here where I can get 93 but that's about a 30min drive...sucks living in a small town.

A few people have said that this will only run on race fuel? If that's the case I might have a big problem on my hands.
what kind of gas is required depends on how you tune the car. in order to get most out of the mods, tuning ecu with racing gas is a must.
edit, but its still up to you to decide if you want the car run with 91 or 101.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:16 AM
dch760

Well I won't be able to change the pistons afterall...sucks. I can cancel the order but after reading the terms and conditions it wasn't a 10% restocking but a 25% crazy!! Only other choice would be to sell them once I get them and just get the lighter rods later...but I will still end up losing $$$.

Any suggestions on pistons??? I was thinking Esprit or SGP. I'm leaning towards SGP but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something else like the rod

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt head and AEBS 4.3 Stroker Kit