Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ATS Carbon LSD/Drive Shaft Shop Axles: Finally, a detailed review!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called ATS, and Yasu is checking with ATS Japan to confirm the parts need when you have an open diff. I dont want to guess, without confirming 100%.

In regards to the 3.9 final drive gears, as long as the ring gear remains the same, the diff will work. I am not certain if the 3.9 gear package includes a new ring gear as well.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 07-18-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:02 AM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With open diff conversion you will need the 2 stub axles from a stock VLSD equipped differential (unequal length) and the 2 new outer seals for the differential case. That's all you will need aside from some shims but that is determined at time of install.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:20 AM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by g356gear
With open diff conversion you will need the 2 stub axles from a stock VLSD equipped differential (unequal length) and the 2 new outer seals for the differential case. That's all you will need aside from some shims but that is determined at time of install.
also, you probably need the two differential bearings that press on, since the ones on the stock diff are easy to damage upon removal. plus it is a good thing to always replace with new parts
Old 07-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Yes, always buy a new set of bearings and races. Unless you have the appropriate bearing puller, there are impossible to remove without damaging them. You actually have to "cook" the new bearings prior to installing them on the diff...as they are press fit, and install easier if you get them to expand slightly.

g35Gear was correct on the parts needed if you have an open diff: New stub axles and oil seals.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:42 AM
John

Great review Sharif. I can't wait to test mine out at the track, it gets installed on Tuesday (so sad that it's been sitting on my shelf for nearly a month). You mentioned that you had to use more than 2 quarts of the ATS LSD? I'd hate to run out when I refill after the break-in.

My track review will come in 1.5 weeks after I return from VIR. Can't wait to see what kind of results I squeeze out of my new diff.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:59 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by John
Great review Sharif. I can't wait to test mine out at the track, it gets installed on Tuesday (so sad that it's been sitting on my shelf for nearly a month). You mentioned that you had to use more than 2 quarts of the ATS LSD? I'd hate to run out when I refill after the break-in.

My track review will come in 1.5 weeks after I return from VIR. Can't wait to see what kind of results I squeeze out of my new diff.

Yeah, becuase some fluid gets lost in the transfer (trapped in the pump, or dripped on the floor), it takes a little bit more than half of that container, to fill the diff.

I did speak to ATS at length about the oil issue, and although they always recommend ATS oil, he did say that other oils can be used, and many shops havent had issue with it. So, if you run out, and just need to top it off with another oil, that should be fine too. It will not damage the diff at all. I still plan to always run ATS, but its nice to known, that in a pinch, I could use another oil. BTW, if you want to order another gallon of ATS oil, just let me know, or place order on the website.

Can't wait for your track review as well.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Old 07-21-2005, 03:04 PM
DragonZ

can you PM the price for the ATS carbon LSD w/ ATS oil (2 gallons) and new stub axles and oil seals shipped to 20170...Thanks Sharif
Old 07-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by DragonZ
can you PM the price for the ATS carbon LSD w/ ATS oil (2 gallons) and new stub axles and oil seals shipped to 20170...Thanks Sharif
PM sent
Old 07-21-2005, 04:17 PM
weslutes

Good info.
I've had my KAAZ LSD for quite a while now(20,000 miles) and I still am surprized how controllable the car is sometimes.
I wonder what the longevity of these LSD's are.
KAAZ says it'll last for ever.
They also say to only use their oil fluid too.
I think the whole oil thing is BS Mobil 1 has some synthetic rear diff fluid that I've tried & it seems to work for just as long.Once the oil is broken down after 3000 miles you can really feel it. Ford makes a good oil additive you can mix with any oil.
I don't know how these ATS LSD's are with heat but I had a major heat problem.My oil boiled over quite a few times.I ordered a Nismo rear diff cooler and had it installed, I never had any problems since.
I always heard that men are multifunctional.
These are the the parts that allow us to be multifunctional while driving.
Eating lunch,sippin coffee,reading a novel all while sliding around a corner.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

LOL...well put.

If heat is an issue, then the ATS Carbon LSD will accel in this area. Carbon disc are nearly impossible to overheat...much like their clutches.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:36 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Great write up Sharif! Thanks for taking the time to do this!
Old 07-22-2005, 02:02 AM
mchapman

I agree, thanks!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:36 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

^^^You guys put up with me for a long time^^^ Patiently waiting for the review. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:11 AM
John

Dropped off my car this morning... FINALLY getting the damn thing installed. Should have it back by Monday, then break it in next week. I'll provide a report / track review on Saturday evening from the track as I'll be on VIR North July 30 and 31. Hopefully there will be some Radicals there for me to chase...

Last edited by John; 07-22-2005 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by John
Dropped off my car this morning... FINALLY getting the damn thing installed. Should have it back by Monday, then break it in next week. I'll provide a report / track review on Saturday evening from the track as I'll be on VIR North July 30 and 31. Hopefully there will be some Radicals there for me to chase...

Great to hear! Looking forward to the track review!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:38 AM
John

It'll be interesting how I have to change my driving style (if at all)... since I threw 275s up front, I have a lot of turn in. My theory is that the extra rotation will require me to use that new diff as I get on the gas hard before the apex, and the smoother the transition of power there is, the better. [evil laugh] Since the instructor group is relatively timid at time, I'll have to check out the advanced group to terrorize those fellows [/evil laugh]... where be the Radicals?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Dershum

Could you provide a packaged deal for us Base-model owners that includes all necesary parts? Or is this something we could technically take to the dealer for installation, and they would know the parts they need to make it work?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Dershum
Could you provide a packaged deal for us Base-model owners that includes all necesary parts? Or is this something we could technically take to the dealer for installation, and they would know the parts they need to make it work?

We dont typcially sell too many OEM parts, and to be honest the prices you can get direct from Courtesy Nissan will be better than the prices I can offer you.

If you have a base open diff car, then you need the VLSD stub axles, the bearing and oil seals.

If you take this directly to your dealer for installation, he will know exactly what parts need to be changed. Hope that helps.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:10 AM
John

I got a phone call yesterday that my car is ready. Since I still need to break in the diff, I left it at the shop, and I'll revisit it on Monday. The report back on the lash was just as Sharif stated... ZERO lash. Absolutely amazing for any product... it was a PERFECT fit, no shims needed whatsoever... ATS = bueno

Quick Reply: ATS Carbon LSD/Drive Shaft Shop Axles: Finally, a detailed review!