Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Is 300+whp possible with the 5AT G35C (while staying with 3.5L and N/A)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Is 300+whp possible with the 5AT G35C (while staying with 3.5L and N/A)

Is it possible to break 300whp with the 5AT (while staying N/A)? I have driven a TT 350Z (it was fun and friggin FAST) but I love the instant response and the sharp exhaust note of a well built N/A motor . I already have my I/H/E/plenium setup picked out and I am looking at either a set of Nismo S1 or S2 cams. I have also considering getting the head ported and polished and getting the intake manifold extrude honed. I am also looking into increasing the CR wither with a thinner HG or by milling the head. Has anyone built a serious N/A setup with the VQ35 and what power are they making and with which combination of parts? What is the highest WHP anyone has made with boltons? Am I going to be the guinea pig ? Thanks!

Last edited by Frostydc4; 08-19-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen a NA Z or G with 300rwhp or more yet. I know there were a lot of people that had laid out plans of what they were going to do and how they would acomplish 300rwhp in NA mode, but then they just got a FI kit instead, because they would get a lot more hp for less money than they would spend on NA mods. It would be interesting though to see what mods and how much money it would take to get the Z or G over 300whp in NA.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:24 PM
JKDman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what i've read on the forums, there's been a case here and there where a G/Z has made 300 to the wheels.

One of them was a guy that put EVERY possible NA bolt-on mod on his car and some light wheels. He put like 298rwhp correct (i think). I think he was running hi-flow cats though. If he were running TestPipes, he might have broken the 300 mark.

Another story i heard was a guy that messed around with his timing, compression, and AF via the HKS F-Con Pro. Heard this story from a reputable source. I looked into getting the F-Con Pro myself but it was a little too pricey. (little being $2000+ for parts, harness, install and tuning)

I myself have only a few things left to do as far as bolt-ons are concerned:
CATs, CAMs, ECU-reflash.

After the next dyno, i'll know if i need to get the ECU reflashed or not.
CATs will be happening soon.
CAMs i'm probably going to stay away from.

But hey, you'd be one of the guinea pigs to try and HIT that 300whp mark NA.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Dru
Old 08-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Javi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

350Z 6m Base model 2004…
Mods at that time:

Nismo Headers
kinetix cat pipes
Greddy cat back
JWT Flywheel
JWT Pop Charger
JWT Cams
Crank Pulley
Grounding Kit
350EVO Throttle
Crawford Plenum Version II
NGK Iridium spark plugs stock temperature

There are two numbers, the increase was after the Technosquare re-flash.

While backing up the car I crushed the cat pipes with a slope in Old San Juan here in PR and had to replace them. I bought the Stillen's only to find out there is a restriction, they go from a smaller diameter (don't remember the measurement, they where smaller in diameter than the collectors of the headers) to a bigger one. So my muffler guy customized them and now they are the same size from the collector of the headers to where it hooks to the Greddy exhaust… they are actually bigger in diameter than the kinetix I had.
Also, I changed the Crawford plenum to the newest version. The car feels as strong as ever. One of these days I'll dyno it again, maybe I’ll get 300whp
The pictures where taken with my cel phone, sorry for the quality...
Attached Thumbnails Is 300+whp possible with the 5AT G35C (while staying with 3.5L and N/A)-295whpdyno.jpg   Is 300+whp possible with the 5AT G35C (while staying with 3.5L and N/A)-stillen-pipe.jpg   Is 300+whp possible with the 5AT G35C (while staying with 3.5L and N/A)-crushed-pipe.jpg  

Last edited by Javi; 08-21-2005 at 08:21 PM.