Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

has anyone thought about putting a transmission cooler in this location?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005 | 01:31 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Default has anyone thought about putting a transmission cooler in this location?

for many of us with aftermarket exhausts, there's this big blank spot right in front of the rear muffler that the OEM muffler partly covers for aerodynamic reasons.

I'm wondering if a transmission cooler could be rigged up to be mounted there facing down?

would it work?

stupid idea?

I'm thinking it'd help with aerodynamics, let you use one and an intercooler for a turbo kit, and it adds the weight to the rear instead of the front
Attached Thumbnails has anyone thought about putting a transmission cooler in this location?-trans_cooler_location.jpg  
Old 09-14-2005 | 02:30 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by sentry65
for many of us with aftermarket exhausts, there's this big blank spot right in front of the rear muffler that the OEM muffler partly covers for aerodynamic reasons.

I'm wondering if a transmission cooler could be rigged up to be mounted there facing down?

would it work?

stupid idea?

I'm thinking it'd help with aerodynamics, let you use one and an intercooler for a turbo kit, and it adds the weight to the rear instead of the front
Good idea. I have seen coolers before on other performance cars in this location. I think on the C6R Corvette they run a differential cooler there.
Old 09-14-2005 | 04:56 PM
zzzya

It would be a good location as long as you could mount some support/protective brackets under it to protect it from any possible crap you might hit on the road.
Old 09-14-2005 | 05:48 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

hmm yeah, good point - could leak trans oil
Old 09-16-2005 | 09:15 AM
Resolute

I think a diff cooler would be better to have there than a tranny cooler. I'm assuming this is for an AT? I wonder if it would really have enough air flow to work well enough to keep tranny temps down at the track without some actual ducting to help airflow into it. If you could fabricate some kind of NACA duct under there with an otherwise flat belly pan extending from the diff to the rear bumber cover, that would be really trick and highly effective.
Will
Old 09-16-2005 | 10:43 AM
peptidbond

The 350EVO race car has a diff cooler there. I saw it during after the MidOhio Grand Am race this year. Then again, that is a racing car not too subject to crap in the road.

If you do put one in, consider a Mocal oil pump. Google it and you will find plenty of info.