Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT flywheel noise?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 05:36 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the tilton semi street set up and i think my neighbors think the car is messed up it is so load. but it is really only at idle with clutch out. goes away mostly with clutch in, and disappears after about 1500rpm anyways. but do get the cement mixer sounds too.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:56 PM
k80y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is LOUD LOUD feel embarrassed driving it around....people look at me with that look of pain....u know that sour look like DAYAM WHATS UP WITH THAT CAR look....haha thinkin of puttin the oem flywheel on if they cant get rid of the noise....anyone wanna buy a jwt flywheel?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:56 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by k80y
this is LOUD LOUD feel embarrassed driving it around....people look at me with that look of pain....u know that sour look like DAYAM WHATS UP WITH THAT CAR look....haha thinkin of puttin the oem flywheel on if they cant get rid of the noise....anyone wanna buy a jwt flywheel?
are you serious? That amazes me that the amount of sound varies that much. My flywheel has about 1k on it and it is still very quiet. Cant hear it over AC much less radio exhaust and popcharger mix.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:28 AM
FritzMan

My UR flywheel makes quite a bit of racket. Ditto for a friend of mine with his.

The noise seems to be louder when it's warm. Also, the noise got progressively louder over the first couple of months after install.

I'm pretty **** when it comes to funky noises (Kinetix plenum had to go). At times this flywheel is a PITA because you have to clutch in at lights otherwise it's pretty loud. Also, if you're the type of drive who uses a large gear it's annoying when you apply significant throttle below 3K RPM.

Besides that, it's a really nice mod and frankly worth the hassle of altering your driving to avoid it (clutch in when stopped and cruising in higher RPMs).
Old 10-21-2005, 05:22 AM
Diesel350

Is there any way to get rid of the noise like raising the idle?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:35 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by gatti-man
are you serious? That amazes me that the amount of sound varies that much. My flywheel has about 1k on it and it is still very quiet. Cant hear it over AC much less radio exhaust and popcharger mix.
Agreed...my JWT combo is very quiet....a little sound under 1500 rpm's, but even quiet with the clutch let out at idle.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Jaki

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
k80, I have come to learn that every customer has a different tolerance for noise. For instance, I have a customer that installed a custom true dual 2.5 inch exhuast system, and he told it sounds waaay too loud. I drove his car, and to my ears, it sounded stock.

Becuase so many guys with the lightened flywheels have been drivng them for so long, they get used to the noise....what noise that it makes. I think if you give it a week or two, you will adapt to the noise, and it wont bother you. But generally speaking, all of these types of setups will have varying levels of cement mixer noise to them.

Well, after seeing that you tuned Gmans car without an exhaust and drove your car without an exhaust, I'm not too surprised that that exhaust sounds stock to your ears... j/m with you

Anyways, +7 (or 8?) on not hearing any noise from my JWT flywheel, and +1 on what Jason said about who makes the biggest deals about flywheels making noise...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:37 PM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by JonathanG35
dude, can you post some more pics of your girl or whoever that is in your avatar.

as for flywheel noise, mine is loud from 1100-1800 rpm and worse under heavy load.
Sure here you go just no wacking off J/K

She knows shes going to get it tonight he he

Old 10-21-2005, 02:59 PM
mrtomcat

damn, what a cutie!!!

back on subject....I don't mind the noise while driving, it's not too bad but I HATE it on idle, I constantly have people tell me there's some bad noise coming from my beautyful car I should get it checked out...
Old 10-21-2005, 03:10 PM
RED HOT Z

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
damn, what a cutie!!!

back on subject....I don't mind the noise while driving, it's not too bad but I HATE it on idle, I constantly have people tell me there's some bad noise coming from my beautyful car I should get it checked out...

If you have an aftermarket flywheel and clutch there is nothing wrong with your car.

I have the JWT combo and mine chatters all the way up to 2000RPMs doesnt bother me though but my friends insist on there being something wrong with it but they don't know **** about Z's.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:47 PM
gatti-man

no one has ever said anything to me. I can hear it when im outside my car with the clutch out but even then it has to be quiet outside to hear it.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:57 PM
k80y

well i put like 100 miles on it in the past day or two the sound is not as bad as before...my friend was tellin me since i have a new clutch and flywheel i should break it in for atleast a couple hundred miles....=/ but i was in downtown philly and i had heads turnin plus i have my donut on hehe.....i feel so embarassed....but i love the rev and the grip of the nismo clutch.....would the sound be from not replacing the throttle bearing? i gave the dealership guy the throttle bearing to change but they didnt use it...maybe i put that up for sale ...sorry bout crashing ur thread bro i shut up now
Old 10-22-2005, 05:44 AM
JonathanG35

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
Sure here you go just no wacking off J/K
shes hot. well done.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:24 AM
SnakeBitten

I just dont get why this combo makes noise on the z...Ive had Findanza flywheel and aftermarket clutches before on other cars and never had issues with cement mixer sounds....What the problem with the Z? Just seem that there has to be a way to stop the sound...We can go to the freakin moon and back but we cant stop a Z with aftermarket cluch and flywheel from waking the dead with that noise...I wont be getting those mods for my Z until someone makes a noise free combo....The car looks too good to have that cheap sounding noise eminating from it...
Old 10-22-2005, 06:27 AM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
lots of people get SES lights from light weight clutches/flywheels - depends on your individual car usually if the sensors freak out or not
Is there a fix for the SES?
Old 10-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Demonteverde

Actually heard the JWT clutch/flywheel combo last night on my friend's G35. He even had a bad/worn out throw out bearing that he forgot to replace with the combo so I was expecting to hear some kind of loud noise.

He turned on the car, i sat on the passenger side and heard barely a slight chatter but it was no way as worse as I thought it would be. I actually had to get out of the car walk to the driver's side and put my ear up the wheel to hear audible chatter from the flywheel.

Maybe everyone has more sensitive ears than me or maybe i'm deaf from the rap music I listen to....
Old 10-22-2005, 09:15 AM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by Demonteverde
Actually heard the JWT clutch/flywheel combo last night on my friend's G35. He even had a bad/worn out throw out bearing that he forgot to replace with the combo so I was expecting to hear some kind of loud noise.

He turned on the car, i sat on the passenger side and heard barely a slight chatter but it was no way as worse as I thought it would be. I actually had to get out of the car walk to the driver's side and put my ear up the wheel to hear audible chatter from the flywheel.

Maybe everyone has more sensitive ears than me or maybe i'm deaf from the rap music I listen to....

No that sounds about right.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:00 PM
spdkils

I don't know anything about the JWT, however I just had the ATS twin disk clutch/flywheel installed.

Talk about NOISE!

Heh, you can hear it slopping around @ idle. Not too bad, nothing to worry about.

However @ 35mph in 4th... Punch the gas and listen/feel the car SHAKE and RATTLE till 2500rpm... Then it goes quite again.

It sounds HORRIBLE for that short ~500 rpm. Idle, no problem... Its weird.

I've only put about 150 miles on it right now, haven't really done much with it. The throttle response is pretty quick now... And I can feel the extra power while driving up my hill at lower speeds.

btw Thanks for the part Shairf.

On another note... No my quaife is not installed yet. Bolts didn't get here in time for my Friday install. (mother #*$*&@)
Old 10-22-2005, 10:10 PM
k80y

i wish my rattle was as low as ur friends g35 mine u can probably hear it from far away my whole interior starts rattleing its troubling to hear when i love my car so much and it dont help when my girlfriend is say"woooo that dont sound good" its sound as if the flywheel is loose and spinning loosely vibrating violently wondering if they didnt install it on tight enough. well gonna give it some more time see how it is
Old 11-12-2005, 06:24 PM
jreiter

Default My JWT flywheel is very loud...

Originally Posted by FritzMan
My UR flywheel makes quite a bit of racket. Ditto for a friend of mine with his.
The noise seems to be louder when it's warm. Also, the noise got progressively louder over the first couple of months after install.
I've had the exact same experience with my JWT flywheel (stock clutch). I've had mine on for about 20k miles, and I can say for sure it has gotten louder over time. It also does indeed seem to be louder when warm than when cold. When I start up the car in the morning and let it idle in neutral, the flywheel doesn't make much sound at all. After things get warmed up, it sounds like the tranny is about to fall out of the car.

I always find myself holding the clutch in while stopped as the sound is so loud it's embarrassing. At idle it's terrible, and like people have said above, I've had folks actually walk up and ask me if something is wrong with the car. I dunno, maybe I just got unlucky and got one of the loud ones, while other folks get the quiet flywheels, but that just makes no sense to me.

Like someone mentioned up above, why on Earth are the lightweight flywheels loud on this car? *None* of the people I know with other types of cars and lightweight flywheels have any noise issues at all. I have an aquaintance who just installed an 8 pound flywheel on his Honda, and the thing doesn't make any noise. And why do some people get an SES light after putting on a lightweight flywheel? That's just ridiculous. I'm just not understanding what the deal is here with the 350Z/G35 that makes flywheels on these cars so much trouble.

Quick Reply: JWT flywheel noise?????