Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

upgrades=less life on car

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 10:19 AM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default upgrades=less life on car

With all these upgrades such as ECU, TT, NOS, etc.. does these modifications contribute to the car's demise or does it leave it unaffected with such factors??
Old 12-20-2002, 10:42 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ecu shouldnt hurt anything, but TT and NOS are a broad category, you could probably run a 50shot from here to timbucktoo without trouble, but some here say 100shot is possible, I wouldnt expect that to last forever. and extra maintnence must be done to keep up with it.(change the oil ALOT more often)

as for TT, depends how you have it tuned,the engine could probably support 400hp if driven right, for as long as youd like. after that itd start to break things. but if you upgrade the internals parts of the engine, you can keep the engine running perfect even with extreme hp.

basicly its all in how you do it, if you do it right, itll last forever, if not, then you reap what you sow.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:35 AM
Alang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a general rule, the more HP you squeeze out an engine the shorter the life (i.e. 7K HP our of a nitro drag engine with a life expectancy of 6 seconds). However, production engines are usually over engineered to provide a long life. As long as you stay within the parameters of the engine's design you should be safe. Now the hard part, no one knows what the design limits are, so that leaves the early adaptors and tuners to push the limits to see what breaks first.

Next piece of the puzzle, I know from personal experience that aftermarket exhausts cause an uncontrollable need to hit red line more often (just to hear the wonderful sound). This behaviorial change alone will shorted the life of the engine, but can it be attributed to the exhaust or the induced behavior?

One thing to keep in mind. The sooner you blow an engine, the sooner you can rebuild it with stronger internals
Old 12-20-2002, 11:56 AM
FstQban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well put Alang. (insert golf clap here.) I for one have never had a car worthy of modding. Though my friends did have two 300ZX TT one that was heavily modded, and one that had only the basics. One was a Stage ? Stillen, he ran about even with a Viper. I believe about low 12's. He said from 0-10k miles the car was alright. From 10k-45k miles the car was at it's peak. Then from 45k- till he traded it in he noticed a continuous drop off in performance. This was someone who was beyond **** about car maintenance. He never went more than five miles over oil change intervals, had a turbo timer, did everything you were supposed to. My other friend had just intake, chip, and Borla exhaust and never had a problem with his car at all. Is this attributable to the aftermarket parts? I think so. Though it couldn't be proven, I have a hard time believing that this was coincidence.