Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaife Install success!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 02:00 PM
THX723

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like they didn't check or align the rear wheel sensor pickups. Have them check em out on both sides.

Last edited by THX723; 10-21-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtroad
I just picked mine up and the ABS light is on. On the drive home, the Brake light came on. Yes, the parking brake was off. Haven't driven more before I could get some ideas on what's happening. Anyone?
There is a plug mounted to driver side rear chassis subframe...you can see it if you crawl under the car, and look up towards the subframe member. Make sure that is plugged in.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:01 PM
dirtroad

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
There is a plug mounted to driver side rear chassis subframe...you can see it if you crawl under the car, and look up towards the subframe member. Make sure that is plugged in.
It's plugged in. And the ABS seems to be working fine. I guess I'll see if there are any problems, performance wise.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:00 PM
bullseye

My dealer finished up the installation today. I returned my loaner FX35 and picked up my Quaife-clad G35 for a nice, easy drive home. As Sharif mentioned above, it feels very stock so far, except for that one time when I turned hard left through a small gap in oncoming rush hour traffic to reach a parking lot. Instead of one or both rear tires lighting up, both sides hooked hard and shot me through the turn without so much as a slip or squeal. It was a wonderful, familiar feeling, dating back to the time when I had a Quaife on my Maxima.

For you steely-eyed missile men out there... The Quaife installation was completed in my '03 5AT G35 with the new fitment ring and bolts. It was a perfect fit, replacing my stock open differential with a straightforward, bolt-on procedure. No new stub axles were required. That's right: Open diff, fitment kit, no new stub axles. Go figure.

I intend to "take it easy" (relative term) for the next 100 miles, but then it's definitely go-time. More data to come later. Later.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Dershum

The car: 2003 350Z Base 6MT

I picked mine up from the installer (local dealer's service dept) and put about 100 miles on it already, a combination of highway and back road driving. As it was dark, and I didn't want to strain it yet, I didn't really romp on it much, but it DEFINITELY feels different.

On the back roads the car feels much more planted in the turns. In the past, going around a turn I felt just a little...detached...from the turn. Kind of like I was coasting through the turn, and not pushing through it, which I guess is exactly what was happening. Also, there was one particular stop sign where there is always loose gravel and/or wet leaves that I end up spinning on and waiting for the wheel to catch traction. THis time, I gave the throtle a quick jab, and the car just settled down and shot forward. No spin, no wait, just gas-and-go. I have VERY high hopes for rainly/snowy driving this winter.

On the highways, the car feels normal with the exception of quick lane changes and passing. Before, a lane change was a bit floaty between the lanes. Now, I give the wheel a little flick, and it's like the car is following set of rails to the next lane.

Overall, I'm very happy so far. The steering feels much more tight now, and moves are much more deliberate. Not the the car was ever loose or floaty, but it seems that way now in comparison to before. I have an AutoX event this weekend (barring rain), so I hope to get a chance to really wring it out there.

On a side note, I REALLY like the dealer/service dept I went to. After picking up the car, I was talking to the service manager about how the install went, and we got to talking about some of the cars they work on. He mentions that the owner of the dealership (and a few others) has a collection of older Z's (and other Datsun's) that he keeps in the basement of the service department, and offers to show me around! We go down in the basement, and hidden in the back corner and along the back wall around 10 various Z cars (and one I couldn't recognize) under covers. He starts flipping up covers and there they are....MINT condition, some restored, some unrestored but PERFECTLY mint Z's...it was beautiful. The usual suspects were there, but one that caught my eye was a 2+2 that had a black-and-red paint job that looks factory, but I've never seen before. There was also a 300zx TT that according to the service rep "is scarry as hell" to drive. We chatted for half an hour, checked out the Z's, and then I was on my way. Awesome experience.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:59 PM
dirtroad

^^ what did your dealer charge you? Mine is on crack...
Old 10-21-2005, 10:13 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this success is making me cry. Congrats guys. Hopefully I can get my install done soon as well.

Bullseye: That's just weird in your situation. Seems that you have an open diff but with the 3.5 FD in an auto. Factory mistake???
Old 10-22-2005, 04:29 AM
Machupo

Sharif -- i know we just finished working on my current rear end, but i'm thinking about switching over to a 3.3R&P with the quaife before I move to Germany (need more of an autobahn cruiser than an acceleration monster) -- how would I go about doing this (and would the AT rear end + stub axles work with my upgraded halfshafts?)

thanks, man
-nick (would like to do the TT at the same time )
Old 10-22-2005, 05:39 AM
bullseye

Originally Posted by dklau33
All this success is making me cry. Congrats guys. Hopefully I can get my install done soon as well.

Bullseye: That's just weird in your situation. Seems that you have an open diff but with the 3.5 FD in an auto. Factory mistake???
May I vent? (Not on you, but just because you struck a nerve. )

Believe me, I've been told that before, so I know what you mean. But at this writing, comments in this vein are based on nothing more than inferences, or mere speculation, rather than direct observation. (Please take no offense.)

I was told by Quaife and others the original unit would be a simple drop-in installation for my application. It was not. I was told I must have a VLSD in my car. They got that wrong, too. Now you suggest I have a 3.5 FD... Before you know it, someone will suggest I don't have a G35! Tell me, won't it be nice when all this groping around in the dark is replaced by intelligence derived from exhaustive R&D?

How many of these Quaife installations have been completed, now, six or less? Most have probably been installed on 350Zs. Other than the factory workers who put my G35s together in the first place, only about six service personnel at my local dealership have directly observed the OEM set-up in my diff case. At this writing, how can anybody say my situation is "weird"? It's possible my situation is quite common.

Anyway, after weeks of marking time, I finally have the critter in the case. It seems to be enhancing my driving experience, as I expected it would. At this time, I await word from Quaife on one final point, and then I expect I will live happily ever after. Until then, I am loaded for bear and ready to rumble.

Take care, and enjoy your Quaife. You're going to like it.

Last edited by bullseye; 10-22-2005 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:01 AM
Dershum

^^ what did your dealer charge you? Mine is on crack...
The install itself was $560 (minus fluid), but I had them change out the accessory belts and change the trans fluid as well, so the final bill came out to $880. It was squealing like a banshee when it was cold and wet.

I figure I overpaid by about 150-200 or so, but I figure it's worth the peace of mind knowing that they had all the right tools, and had the correct experience with my car to do something like this. Plus, they do a lot of aftermarket installs, so that just added to my confidence. My only regret is that I didn't pick up the JWF Clutch/Flywheel combo and have them put that on while they were in there..I probably would have saved 100-200 by having them do those at the same time.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:00 AM
dklau33

bullseye: No offense taken. You are absolutely correct. You have absolutely all the right in the world to vent, especially in your situation. I guess, like you said, until more exhaustive research is performed to give definitive answers, we can't make any hard, concrete assumptions at this point. Let me rephrase my term of "weird" as "not what we have been led to expect". Thanks for being one of the first to install and sharing your experience. It's definitely informative. Should help prospective Quaife buyers with the same setup as your own. Glad it all worked out for you in the end. Hope I don't find any surprises. I'm off now to Z-Car Garage to talk to Rob about installing my piece. Wish me luck.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:54 AM
bullseye

bullseye: No offense taken. You are absolutely correct. You have absolutely all the right in the world to vent, especially in your situation. I guess, like you said, until more exhaustive research is performed to give definitive answers, we can't make any hard, concrete assumptions at this point. Let me rephrase my term of "weird" as "not what we have been led to expect". Thanks for being one of the first to install and sharing your experience. It's definitely informative. Should help prospective Quaife buyers with the same setup as your own. Glad it all worked out for you in the end. Hope I don't find any surprises. I'm off now to Z-Car Garage to talk to Rob about installing my piece. Wish me luck.
Thanks for understanding my rant, and good luck to you.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:27 PM
dirtroad

The Quaife kicked *** at the track today - my ABS light went off and everything worked fine. No noise, really smooth around the corners, and the car just seems to launch much quicker now. I don't know if I'd say it was worth the wait, cause that was one long wait, but I'm very happy with it.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:46 PM
dklau33

The Quaife kicked *** at the track today - my ABS light went off and everything worked fine. No noise, really smooth around the corners, and the car just seems to launch much quicker now. I don't know if I'd say it was worth the wait, cause that was one long wait, but I'm very happy with it.

Did you do your runs with/without VDC?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 PM
bullseye

When is your install scheduled, dklau33? Come on in. The water's fine.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:52 PM
bullseye

Someone else was asked the question, but... (Sorry)

Although I keep VDC functioning at 100% in the wet, I almost always travel with the VDC de-selected. I took a tight left sweeper real fast yesterday. I had to do it: My pride was at stake. The rear end eased out, and stayed out there about a foot, until I hit the apex seconds later. Then I did something I could have regretted: I stomped on the gas! For a very brief moment, my rear tires looked at each other in disbelief, but then they both grabbed ahold of dry asphalt and propelled the car forward, exactly along the line I had chosen.

Meanwhile, my hapless victim, Mr. Lift Throttle, was left far behind as he struggled to overcome an acute case of understeer.

It was a long time coming, but I'm enjoying the heck out of it!
Old 10-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Nice^^^ the true test of the aftermarket diffs are high speed sweepers...this is where the shine..and propel you out of the turn...exactly as you intended. And even if the rear end does come out of line, the correction is nearly instant.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:20 PM
dklau33

Originally Posted by bullseye
When is your install scheduled, dklau33? Come on in. The water's fine.
Over the weekend I met with Rob at Z-Car garage and I have a install scheduled for Nov 14th. He's a bit busy so can't get me in till then. Just in time for my track day at Streets of Willow for the 18th so no biggie. I think I'll be the first here in Norcal to do it. Your story made me jealous. I'm all hot and bothered now.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:00 PM
bullseye

Over the weekend I met with Rob at Z-Car garage and I have a install scheduled for Nov 14th. He's a bit busy so can't get me in till then. Just in time for my track day at Streets of Willow for the 18th so no biggie. I think I'll be the first here in Norcal to do it. Your story made me jealous. I'm all hot and bothered now.
November 14! Oh, man.

What's today? The 25th of October? Let's see: 6 more days in October. Plus 14 more days in November... Gosh that's 20 more days I'll be enjoying my Quaife before you even get yours installed!

OK, I'll cease and desist now. I bet you're counting the days, too.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:05 PM
dklau33

Originally Posted by bullseye
November 14! Oh, man.

What's today? The 25th of October? Let's see: 6 more days in October. Plus 14 more days in November... Gosh that's 20 more days I'll be enjoying my Quaife before you even get yours installed!

OK, I'll cease and desist now. I bet you're counting the days, too.

Ah hell, I've been waiting a couple of months now. What's one more?

Quick Reply: Quaife Install success!