Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Unorthodox pulley....really worth it????

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Nano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idrmofs7
the pully bein "lighter" will mess with your harmonic balance. this pretty much means that your car will run real rough at idle only. Also all these aftermarket pully's will make your belts sqeal like crazy unless you get goodyear gaterbacks ,I think. but if you are tryin to get all the power outta yourmotor as possible then do it but it should be one of your last mods.also, try to get your crank re-balanced after.hope this helps
my car idles smoother with the UR pulley than with the stock one... got nissan belts with mine and they never squealed. Belts will not squeal if they are tightened properly and are clean.

Why would a pulley require rebalancing the crankshaft? do you have any clue of what rebalancing a crankshaft requires?

Last edited by Nano; 10-22-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:15 PM
DZ2005

Well....I've read all the threads on the harmonic balancing types of things....apparently it does not make a difference on the balancing due to the Z's engine having internal balancing already. I was strictly curious on the power and feel of the thing and i believe the harmonic issue is really not a problem, or that's the conclusion from most of the threads.....
Old 10-23-2005, 04:56 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the pully bein "lighter" will mess with your harmonic balance. this pretty much means that your car will run real rough at idle only. Also all these aftermarket pully's will make your belts sqeal like crazy unless you get goodyear gaterbacks ,I think. but if you are tryin to get all the power outta yourmotor as possible then do it but it should be one of your last mods.also, try to get your crank re-balanced after.hope this helps
please refrain from posting anything other than facts...because honestly, from your post, you have no clue what you are talking about (and I mean that in the nicest way possible - I am just tired of seeing posts like this day in and day out). If you cannot post facts when facts are being requested, just sit back and learn from those who can post them.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:28 AM
bio911

as long as the pulley is balanced then it is ok... UR and KJR are both very very good companies, so u shouldn't have any problems.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:49 AM
steveiZdaman

is there another tool to use rather than a pulley puller?

i changed my supercharger pulley on my grand prix gtp but i had a friend of a friend do it b/c he had the tool.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:24 AM
bio911

is there anything wrong by using a regular pulley puller?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Nano

pulley puller is not required

mine slid off smoothly without any tools
Old 10-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're kidding right?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:00 PM
EM-EFER

Just get the UR. I would buy them again in a heart beat... My car feels better then it did with stock pulleys. Supposed to yield around 5whp... I noticed a difference as everyone also stated above. One of the best Mods for the dollar.

Edit:Spelling.

Last edited by EM-EFER; 10-23-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:29 PM
DZ2005

Gettin it then....thanks
Old 10-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DZ2005
Well....I've read all the threads on the harmonic balancing types of things....apparently it does not make a difference on the balancing due to the Z's engine having internal balancing already. I was strictly curious on the power and feel of the thing and i believe the harmonic issue is really not a problem, or that's the conclusion from most of the threads.....
I'm not 100% positive, but I thought I read the stock crank pulley does not have a harmonic dampener... someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:05 PM
JonathanAboona

The KJR pulley is machined out of a solid piece of aluminum. It is not a 2 piece like the stock. You can read 20 pages of threads on the debate over whether or not the rubber separation is for noise reduction or for vibration reduction. As long as the pulley is balanced, it is ok.

KJR just pulled the motor on a Z that had 12k in miles with the KJR pulley and by visible inspection no bearing or crank wear was found. It's my motor so I am going to forge it up but am going to use a different crank because the one out of my engine is going to be looked at further along with the bearings.

If anyone on the boards rebuilt a motor at 22k and have original bearings lying around, I would love to have them sent to me for even more comparison. The guy I have examining the wear says he doenst need another set but it would just further reinforce the data.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the UR pulley the car will rev alot quicker than stock. Also it adds around 5-6rwhp... I think. But it does make the car rev and throttle response is awesome. Also the 350z doens't have a harmonic balancer.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Anomaly460

whats the difference between the ur ultra s and ultra ss set????
Old 10-24-2005, 03:37 PM
SoCalTed

have had the UR for close to 20k miles. love it. I do blackstone oil analysis with every oil change. No undue wear reported.. in fact they give me a thumbs up and "great wearing engine" comment every time.

Don't have a comparo dyno, as it went in with a bunch of mods. I agree with all the throttle and wind up comments above.

Ultra SS includes the accessory pulleys, not just the Crank pulley.

_T

P.S. I have a G sedan.

Last edited by SoCalTed; 10-24-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes its worth it. Its a cheap mod and only takes 30 min to install with no special tools other than a breaker bar and a pipe to slide over the breaker bar. Set the bar on the pulley and at the 5 o'clock position on the ground. Turn motor over but do not start the car. Two clicks of the starter and the pulley is loose. Install of the new pulley is even easier.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 PM
rb6sn

how much would it cost to get this installed at a shop? im pretty bad with this kind of stuff..
Old 11-03-2005, 04:50 PM
E_Z_HOES

This is a little off topic but, how is UR pulley with let's say a 75 wet shot? will there be issues?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:28 PM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rb6sn
how much would it cost to get this installed at a shop? im pretty bad with this kind of stuff..
they would probably charge just one hour of laber. so whatever the rate is. if you arent familiar with working on cars i would recommend letting someone else doing this. its not difficult at all but getting the crank pulley off can be a b!tch. it would suck if you were to strip the bolt while it was still on there...
Old 11-04-2005, 07:29 AM
TheBingo15

Something to consider. Is it worth the 6whp gain. If you have a failure IE pulley cracks and crank bolt comes out enough to let the pin that alligns the crank pulley / timming pulley come out and you bend all your valves. Far fetched yes, but I had to rebuild the top end of my G35 when this happend to me .

Quick Reply: Unorthodox pulley....really worth it????