Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery
View Poll Results: Remove the Presilncer or Don't remove the Presilencer?
Remove the presilencer
59.13%
Don't remove the presilencer
40.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003 | 03:45 PM
chazzg

Originally posted by VQracer
some interesting read here.

10RWHP from a muffler and not designed for the Z and a K&N filter and a removed silencer.

and

5RWHP from removed silencer, JWT POP intake, and a grounding kit.

Victor

5rwhp was JUST from removing the resonator
Old 01-04-2003 | 04:16 PM
12SecZ

Default Hi ZQ et all,

I didn't mean to come off as defensive, sometimes it is hard to tell by just reading text. This post is not directed at you in particular but for all who are reading this thread. That being said,

I would like to think that we are all out to try and achieve the same goal. Especially those who like to mod their cars.
Which is bang for the buck- dollar to HP.

We all won't do the same thing and to me that is OK.
Like spend 350 for a throttle body for 3-5 HP etc.

Not everyone loved my dashkit, I thought it was just ok- but I eventually replaced it as soon as my Installer got it in stock. I like my new one too. I like XM, some insist on Sirrius etc.

Not everyone agrees on the money spent on Grounding Kits (per the poll and other forums I read) but I like mine. I think it looks good and made a difference. I am glad I did it.

Only about 40 % of the people liked the rims I chose. I *love* them. Weight reduction again (like the silencer and muffler)

I don't expect everybody to remove the silencer and add a FlowMaster, I'm sure there are better options. Diversity is what makes the world go around! Otherwise we would all be driving clones . I won't spend $1500.00 on a cat back though!

But some will agree that for 200 bucks what I did to my exhaust is a good mod. It improves the exhaust flow out. More cold air in=good. More hot exhaust out = good. Thus the invention of headers, cut-outs etc.

Plus mine just happens to sound fantastic, I love it and have no intentions of putting it back to stock. The 5 chamber OEM Muffler was crap. A big heavy chunck of crap at that! But this is just my opinion. Others will disagree and that is fine too!

Bottom line is that not everyone will do the same thing to their cars. We will mostly (percentage wise) go with different exhausts, different CAI's, different rims/tires etc.

Some people will disagree with what we do with our cars but who cares? Diversity makes the world go around! I love my car as it is and have even further plans for it. I like using this forum to bounce ideas off people but I weigh the opinions and ultimitly make my own decision based on what I like. I will continue to do so but I still *value* yours and others opinions, I just don't always agree (like in the case of the rims I chose.) But I value it!

For fun let's look at where we are at so far. Insannme (I'm sure I got that wrong) posted a link to a 1-2 HP gain from the grounding kit. Another posted 5HP from removing the silencer, a beta tester posted *impressive* gains from the K&N filter using flow numbers. All of these threads are here on this board.

Then factor in the gains that Flow Master claims over OEM. Adding all that together I would *like* to think I have gained 12-15HP at the crank. Is it true? Who knows? My SOTP Meter (Seat of The Paints for those who don't know the acronym) says I gained at least 10RWHP from my current mod list. I bet I am close.

I will say that Dyno's vary from place to place. Here in Sac Hot Rod Heaven uses the latest Dyno Model with 2003 software (they can even lock your torque converter) but the rumour is it reads low. So I am looking for a better Dyno. It really doesn't matter though because Dyno's here are used just as a "tool."

In other words, you mod your car then go get an avg (with A/F measurements too!!)

Then go again (using the same Dyno) after another mod and get an avg. This way whether the Dyno reads low or high you still get an avg of where *your* car is at. Personally, and I have said this in other threads, I prefer the track as the true test instead of the Dyno. Here in Spring it's 15 bucks on Friday nights and you can get in at least 4-5 runs. It gives you a time slip on every run with 60' time trap speed, 1/8 and 1/4 mile time.

So come spring when I hit mid, high 13's with my lightweight rims and Nittto's I will upload some time slips. Till then it's all just a crap shoot ya know?

Personally I am not gonna use our local Dyno for 90 bucks an hour (that includes your Air and Fuel A/F) measurements when I already proved his Dyno reads low.

If someone knows of a better Dyno in this area I will consider it for a baseline to see where I am at before CAI etc but I much prefer to be a track animal when the weather improves

Peace Out!
Old 01-04-2003 | 04:18 PM
12SecZ

Cool

Dang I talk allot!

Sorry for that long post it's my day off and I am bored. Anyway, gonna go watch football!

Hope I didn't offend anyone, wasn't my intention. I rambled on the keys LOL!!!
Old 01-04-2003 | 04:30 PM
2003z

Well said Max! Like I posted in a different thread, as long as you use the same dyno and same corrections for consistency, what matters is the gains and not the actual numbers (imho).
Old 01-06-2003 | 01:35 PM
troutfishin02

Default Took my resonator off today...

... and like others have previously posted, I LOVE the way it sounds when it's warm - cold, it sounds kinda tinny, but I'm in florida so "cold" isn't a condition that lasts long here... If I gained 3 or 5 or even 1hp by doing it, so much the better, I really like the sound now... liked it before, now I REALLY catch myself just shutting the radio/CD off (damn Bose) to hear the car.
Just my .02
Old 01-06-2003 | 05:44 PM
12SecZ

Default Another happy positive

So of the 28 people who don't want to do it I am curiuos if they have ever even heard the mod or just voting to vote????
Old 01-06-2003 | 06:19 PM
zogan

Default Re: Another happy positive

Originally posted by MaxHax
So of the 28 people who don't want to do it I am curiuos if they have ever even heard the mod or just voting to vote????
I voted yes before I did the mod, but I based off a sound bite, which I shouldn't of, doesn't sound the same, but still sounds good
Attached Thumbnails Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?-navspac.jpg  
Old 01-07-2003 | 11:56 PM
ahhhshucks

I did it...and I think the sound improved a lil....my friends say it dosent wine anymore. But truthfully I expected alot more from all the hype.
Old 01-14-2003 | 08:06 PM
zogan

Originally posted by ahhhshucks
I did it...and I think the sound improved a lil....my friends say it dosent wine anymore. But truthfully I expected alot more from all the hype.
are you from OKC? if so are you going next week?
Old 01-14-2003 | 09:10 PM
Intrepid

This blank message is here because the moderators have turned off Post deletion for some reason. Very annoying.

Last edited by Intrepid; 01-14-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2003 | 07:50 AM
joeshow750

I took mine off a couple of days ago. It sounds better...more of a throaty sound. It does still get a slight sort of raspy rattling sound at high rpms though.
Old 01-16-2003 | 07:42 PM
ahhhshucks

ZOGAN

Yes I am from okc.....whats going on next week....or is this reply to old
Old 01-18-2003 | 01:55 PM
zogan

Originally posted by ahhhshucks
ZOGAN

Yes I am from okc.....whats going on next week....or is this reply to old
Some of us on this forum site are going to meet the 21st of this month at Bob Moore Nissan in Norman.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=12840

talk to you later
Old 02-19-2003 | 09:13 PM
brzi

Guys where can I go to remove presilencer and how much would it cost.
Does it void waranty.
I live in LA so if you know a good mechanic that would remove it please tell me.

thanks
Old 02-20-2003 | 03:32 PM
zogan

Originally posted by brzi
Guys where can I go to remove presilencer and how much would it cost.
Does it void waranty.
I live in LA so if you know a good mechanic that would remove it please tell me.

thanks
There is no evidence of it voiding warrenty IMO. It cost around $20 $40---Do not pay more t than $50. I don't know LA, but anyone should be able to do it.
Old 04-18-2003 | 01:36 PM
seanrulz

Just read you guys' thread about 2 hours ago, and I went to local Meineke(wrong spell I guess ) and took my resonator off.
And guess what? I love it!
It isn't that loud but it somehow enhances the Z's normal exhaust sound deeper as I rev it up(which I like, seems like I won't use the streo like before from now on). It cost me $27.50 and so far it is the best mod I've done so far in terms of $/satisfaction. (Yeah, my car is completely stock with chrome accented grill)
Old 04-18-2003 | 11:12 PM
dddd

Can anyone tell me if the pre-silencer is a straight through design, I'm assuming it is.
Old 04-19-2003 | 03:38 AM
bhobson333

Originally posted by dddd
Can anyone tell me if the pre-silencer is a straight through design, I'm assuming it is.
Yes it is
Old 04-19-2003 | 06:40 PM
bhobson333

Default Zs taking off on video

Here's a clip of a bunch of Zs taking off at VIR last weekend. You may need to watch it a couple of times to match the sound with the car. Keep in mind that the sounds in the video are not exactly what you hear when you're standing there; bass response is kinda lacking.

The first that you hear after the jump-cut is a very fast light blue 280Z with a built motor. Then there's a black 300 ZX and a white 300Z I think. Then the DB Touring, but the camera operator cut it off as he went past, then as you're watching him take off you hear my Track with resonator removed.

I hesitated posting this because it sounds pretty buzzy. This was at the beginning of the run, though, and it's WOT to at least 5000 RPM. The sound settles down a lot as the muffler gets hot. You'll also notice that a lot of the other cars sound buzzy in this video too; this is just for comparison.

http://www.extremespeedonline.com/bh...eo/takeoff.mpg

Last edited by bhobson333; 04-19-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2003 | 06:41 PM
zogan

Originally posted by seanrulz
Just read you guys' thread about 2 hours ago, and I went to local Meineke(wrong spell I guess ) and took my resonator off.
And guess what? I love it!
It isn't that loud but it somehow enhances the Z's normal exhaust sound deeper as I rev it up(which I like, seems like I won't use the streo like before from now on). It cost me $27.50 and so far it is the best mod I've done so far in terms of $/satisfaction. (Yeah, my car is completely stock with chrome accented grill)
cool, glad you like it. Can you tell any performance difference, or the same, what about sound difference while you windows are up?

Quick Reply: Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?