Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery
View Poll Results: Remove the Presilncer or Don't remove the Presilencer?
Remove the presilencer
59.13%
Don't remove the presilencer
40.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003 | 12:57 AM
seanrulz

Hmm.. some say it gains 5 hp at the crank (or the wheels, not sure) but my butt ain't that sensitvie enough to dyno it
With the window closed, u can't tell much difference with stock unless u rev up pretty high. My roommate actually didn't notice its difference until I rev it up. (Yes, he's got the Prelude and some Deep-Toned LOUD exhaust...it sounds really cool tho)
Weird thing is, as I drive the car around and rev it up, it sounds a little different from the beginning right after I've done that job. It's kinda raspy and going a little bit out of my taste, but still its resonable and I like it.
I'm seriously considering to get a new exhaust system before I go for coilovers cuz it just feels awsome when the exhaust note of the car changes. I can't imagine how awesome it'll be when I put the Fusitsubo Legalis R exhaust on my car...now I have to work my *** off during the summer to make the $$
Old 04-22-2003 | 01:47 PM
johnnyblaze

I'm new to these boards and this is really one of my only posts, ive read numerous amounts of exhaust stories and removing the presilencer also. Everyone has mixed feelings about this wheather they like the sound or not. Personally i love the sound for 45 bucks that i paid at my local exhaust shop, it was well worth it! It has sort of a tinny sound before its warm but once its warm it reminds me of a track car, sure it can sound a bit ricey but i like that, i dont mean that 1.6 liter 6 inch exhaust sound, i mean the tuned 4-6 cyl sound. It sounds really like a BMW m3 with a triflow exhaust, personally i like it. In case yer wondering im 21 and have had nothing but v-8's, sure i love that sound but yer just not gonna get that particular sound with a 3.5 liter v-6 engine. Just my .02 and IMHO.

Have fun
Old 05-14-2003 | 05:09 PM
ZISBAK

I got it done today as well! I noticed that when you rev it up fast, you get that raspy tone. But when you just slowly rev up, then it would sounded deep!! I really had a mix feeling! one point I like it, and one point i don't like it. The thing is that I don't want it to sound like a fix up Honda!!! Not that it's a good mod, but I just wish it could be tune out that Raspy noise!!
I thought about, what if I replace the Silencer with a Glass Pack ? It reduces the back pressure, and hopefully that would absorb some of the pressure pulse that might be creating that raspy noise? What do y'all think? would that be worth a try, and glass pack doesn't reduce sound like the silencer does. So you could still retain that deep rich sound.
Old 05-15-2003 | 07:46 PM
03 Z for ME

Is there any legal implication for those of us that live in states or areas that require emissions testing? Can we legally modify the exhaust like this? When we buy something aftermarket, it needs to be CARB certified...

Anyone know for sure if this is going to be a problem when I have to get my emissions checked next year?
Old 05-15-2003 | 09:29 PM
12SecZ

Anything catback in Kali is smog legal and your probably pretty safe warranty wise too. Except cut outs and a few other things but resonator removal is smog check II legal California is getting ridicoulous just hear they are raising our sales tax again
Old 05-19-2003 | 03:39 AM
Juztin

Default Didnt remove silencer but partially disconnected muffler

I myself aint quite the biggest fan of the pre-silencer removal sound, but then again that could of just been attributed to a crappy recording from one of the audio file's I heard. However yesterday I went ahead and partially disconnected the muffler, 1/2 of the pipe is free & the other 1/2 is still partially connected to the muffler. I must say that WOW it sounds damn loud and damn mean >;-). When you punch it, a square mile can hear it >;-). The interior noise is definately upped a notch and it will cross sound waves with whatever you have going in the cd-player lol. Anything below 3k rpm's is VERY VERY low/strongly toned and it travels. 3-4k seems to be somewhat "neutal" (when I got a cop behind me I'll keep the peg around that area), and then above 4k it starts to scream. I can't really describe the sound other than it sounds like a race car approaching the formula 1 car sounds. All I gotta say is that it sounds like it can rip your ball* off lol. If any of you are considering a quick way to up the gruntness of the 350z's sound, and don't wanna pay money, i'd say go for it!

When I was disconnecting the muffler, I used a 14mm deep socket metric to loosen the 3 bolts at the tubing junction, along with a 12mm deep socket to loosen the front-right muffler brace.

Just another alternative to try if you wanna get your car quite a bit louder and all the more intimidating >;-)
Old 05-19-2003 | 05:05 AM
ZISBAK

The insteresting part is that when you sitting in the seat, the exhaust actually sounded not to bad, but when you actually out of the car, and watch it taking off, that raspy noise is every where!!!! I swear it sounded like a Honda with something stuck up the Azz!!! I had my friend did a little video clip so i could compare it, and after i look at the clip. I was soooo embarassed that the exhaust sounded like that! (screaming raspy *****!!!!)
Personally i didn't like it! I ended up putting a glass pack on it temporary, until i could find a better brand of glass pack, or a whole new exhaust! Trust me, everyone should at least let someone drive your car and so you could watch it takeoff, the sound you'll hear is totally different then what you'll hear sitting inside the car!
Old 05-19-2003 | 10:49 AM
12SecZ

You can improve the sound by doing a complete 2.5 inch catback that doesn't include any presilencers. That and my Injen intake and my exaust sounds awesome. I get compliments from track animals in V8's all the time!

It snarls and growls, not farts.

Old 05-19-2003 | 11:50 AM
ZISBAK

Originally posted by MaxHax
You can improve the sound by doing a complete 2.5 inch catback that doesn't include any presilencers. That and my Injen intake and my exaust sounds awesome. I get compliments from track animals in V8's all the time!

It snarls and growls, not farts.

you've got any pictures of that? thanks!
Old 05-19-2003 | 12:39 PM
12SecZ

They are at my website www below my posts.

Edit or where it says my website in my sig.

Muffler is a straight through design but an expensive one.

TC!