Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery
View Poll Results: Remove the Presilncer or Don't remove the Presilencer?
Remove the presilencer
59.13%
Don't remove the presilencer
40.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003 | 06:10 AM
mpol99

Default so far.....

So far, most people say they like it. Do you guys have any sound files? I REALLY want to do some exhaust work to my car without spending too much $$$ on exhaust systems.

The only sound files that I have heard so far sound like crap (I have heard 2) in my opinion. There is that crackling sound (kinda like a pice of paper was stuck in there),same as in my GReddy exhaust on my Z32 ( I used to hate it).

Any of you guys that love the sound have a sound clip? I'd like the power gain, but it has to sound good, not like a fart Civic sound.

Thanks for help

Marcin
Old 01-03-2003 | 06:23 AM
bhobson333

Default Re: so far.....

Originally posted by mpol99
The only sound files that I have heard so far sound like crap (I have heard 2) in my opinion. There is that crackling sound (kinda like a pice of paper was stuck in there),same as in my GReddy exhaust on my Z32 ( I used to hate it).
Based on these comments, I suggest that you NOT have your exhaust cut, at least not until you have heard the results of this operation on another Z.
Old 01-03-2003 | 06:27 AM
2003z

I have changed my vote from yes to no, but I had a new muffler and y-pipe made also, so that could have influenced it.

It did have the crackling paper sound you refer to while cold, and a loud drone at part throttle. With a 2 1/2" y pipe and 80 flowmaster, it sounds awesome.

edit: I'm not saying removal alone is bad, just that with my other mods I didnt care for it.

Last edited by 2003z; 01-03-2003 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-03-2003 | 06:56 AM
bigdog

Default presilencer removed

I had it removed last week and I like it. It kinda pops a little when cold, but once warmed up it purrs very nicely. I come from a v8 line(mustangs) and have always modified the exhaust. this mod does add more of the sound I am looking for without being to loud. Personally I beleive it to be a grat mod for the price.
Old 01-03-2003 | 08:45 AM
12SecZ

Thumbs up

I have a 80 series flowmaster too and the cut out silencer mod, to me it's the perfect combo, runs about 240 nationwide from what I am hearing. Better gains.

I haven't messed with the Y-Pipe though.

A sound file isn't gonna help you, find someone with the mod and ride in their car.

Or hell call them on the phone! You can call me on my cell and listen to it as I WOT down I-5!!

I live in California though!
Old 01-03-2003 | 06:24 PM
chazzg

Default Re: Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?

Originally posted by zogan
What does everyone think? Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?

I personally am going to try it, if I don't like, I will simply put it back on.
had mine done today and dyno about a 5rwhp incress.

Now the sound SUCKED when the first did it(VERY raspy) Every body in the shop hated it and i almost had it put back on. But after the pipe warmed up(on the dyno) it sounded GOOD. the places that sis it said it was becase of the different Metals on the pipe. So just dont Rev it to much when is cold and you'll be fine
Attached Thumbnails Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?-350z-dyno3.jpg  
Old 01-03-2003 | 06:31 PM
2003z

Yeah, a lot of that raspiness went away once it warmed up for me too.
Old 01-03-2003 | 06:49 PM
12SecZ

Default Good job

Add another 5 for switching mufflers from 5 chambers to 3 chambers then show the dyno to the guy that laughed at me when I showed him I got 10HP from my setup (I didn't say RWHP either!)

I'm sure he is watching this thread anyway

Old 01-03-2003 | 07:40 PM
chazzg

Default Re: Good job

Originally posted by MaxHax
Add another 5 for switching mufflers from 5 chambers to 3 chambers then show the dyno to the guy that laughed at me when I showed him I got 10HP from my setup (I didn't say RWHP either!)

I'm sure he is watching this thread anyway

Did you ues the FlowMaster 80? That is the one I am thinking of.
You realy got 10rwhp from this setup? damn that's better than an other Cat back out there. And if adds 5 More hp I'll be a 310-315hp LOVEN IT!!!
Old 01-03-2003 | 10:10 PM
zogan

Default Re: Re: Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?

Originally posted by chazzg

Now the sound SUCKED when the first did it(VERY raspy) Every body in the shop hated it and i almost had it put back on. But after the pipe warmed up(on the dyno) it sounded GOOD. the places that sis it said it was becase of the different Metals on the pipe. So just dont Rev it to much when is cold and you'll be fine
Is that increase due to removing the presilencer alone??????
Attached Thumbnails Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?-navspac.jpg  
Old 01-03-2003 | 10:20 PM
zogan

Oh yeah, I almost forgot? I FINALLY took mine off today. Just before I took it off, I started to like the stock sound w/ the Presilencer on, but I took it off anyway.

I would say the new sound is better, not much better, but better. It sounds really nice and better at the high RPM's. I can barely hear in if I am in my car w/ my windows up. I thought there was going to be too much sound, I only notice now b/c I am conscious of the new mod. But for those worried about it sounding too loud when you are driving, you probably won't even notice. I will keep all posted and updated as I go on. If there is anything else, I will let you know ASAP.
HOGAR
Old 01-03-2003 | 10:21 PM
zogan

Default Re: Re: Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?

Originally posted by chazzg

Did you have to reset your ECU? sorry for all the questions--Hogan
Old 01-03-2003 | 10:26 PM
chazzg

Default Re: Re: Re: Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?

Is that increase due to removing the presilencer alone??????
Yep i had 227rwhp stock 233rwhp with JWT pop air intake/grounding system
And 238.4rwhp after the resonator was taken off 5 more rwhp(and 6lbs less in weight)
Old 01-03-2003 | 10:28 PM
chazzg

Default Re: Re: Re: Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?

Did you have to reset your ECU? sorry for all the questions--Hogan

no. Why would you? it just lets the exhaust out easer so the Z can breath better
Old 01-03-2003 | 10:59 PM
zogan

I went looked at your other thread, man thats cool that you tested all that stuff. Thanks for the Info.
Attached Thumbnails Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?-myz.jpg  
Old 01-04-2003 | 08:22 AM
12SecZ

Did you ues the FlowMaster 80? That is the one I am thinking of.
Yes,

It's a perfect fit and improves sound and power even further.

80 series street, not Delta Flow and they have to reroute the stock tips a little to keep them in the stock position.

Yeah 10RWHP, but I also have the K&N which may have added 1-2?
Old 01-04-2003 | 10:28 AM
zogan

Originally posted by MaxHax
Yes,

It's a perfect fit and improves sound and power even further.

80 series street, not Delta Flow and they have to reroute the stock tips a little to keep them in the stock position.

Yeah 10RWHP, but I also have the K&N which may have added 1-2?
I don't know if it is written somewhere else in the forums or threads, but how much did you pay? Where they hard to get?
Attached Thumbnails Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?-myz.jpg  
Old 01-04-2003 | 01:19 PM
12SecZ

Arrow

Most good muffler shops stock the Flow Master Street Series. My install was 200 out the door.
That included removing the silencer and installing a straight through pipe, the muffler and the extra pipe to retain the stock tips. Someone else here has the same setup and paid 240 so that should give you a rough estimate. You can buy the mufflers online but then you have to pay shipping. My muffler shop gets all their flow master stuff from Tognotti's Auto World.

Online Store
Old 01-04-2003 | 02:05 PM
12SecZ

Default Here is a more direct link to where I got mine

Tognotti's
Old 01-04-2003 | 02:21 PM
12SecZ

Arrow

some interesting read here. 10RWHP from a muffler and not designed for the Z
From the link I posted above

" Specially designed for applications where the muffler must be mounted transversely behind the rear axle, either to match an OE system or for increased ground clearance, the 80 Series is a true crossflow with single or dual inlet/dual outlet configurations"

Where in that paragraph does it say it's "not designed" for the Z?

To me it seems to fit quite well, has weight reduction, improves exhaust flow, and compliments the sound of the engine.
Looks better too!

It may have not been "designed" for our Z's (as in the application table) but it fits and it works, and the above description from Flow Master themselves sounds like our OEM Muffler does it not?

I like to break new ground and try new stuff anyway and I trust the people who work on my cars. They would not have put it there if it wasn't a good mod. They have been in the racing business for decades.

Quick Reply: Remove the Presilencer or Don't remove the Presilencer?