Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Crank Pulley and Lightweight pullies not making a difference in performance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank Pulley and Lightweight pullies not making a difference in performance?

I keep seeing dyno's especially for the Crank Pullies showing no gain whatsoever.
It does make your revs quicker but I have yet to see someone show proof of better 1/4 mile times after a crank pulley or Lightweight pulley install.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:34 PM
GEE PASTA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I keep seeing dyno's especially for the Crank Pullies showing no gain whatsoever.
It does make your revs quicker but I have yet to see someone show proof of better 1/4 mile times after a crank pulley or Lightweight pulley install.
Its because it kills drivability. Less flywheel mass.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:46 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
Its because it kills drivability. Less flywheel mass.
You're thinking of the lightweight flywheel, not an engine pulley.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:48 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

How much will your 1/4 mile drop with an additional 5 to 10 hp?

How many drivers are consistant enough so that they'd notice an improvement of a few hundreds of a second?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
How much will your 1/4 mile drop with an additional 5 to 10 hp?

How many drivers are consistant enough so that they'd notice an improvement of a few hundreds of a second?
I haven't seen any dyno's showing gains of 5hp much less 10 hp for a flywheel or crank pulley. All I have seen are no gains or losses. Here someone who posted a recent dyno after a KJR Pulley install.
Attached Thumbnails Crank Pulley and Lightweight pullies not making a difference in performance?-pulley3.jpg  
Old 11-21-2005, 07:28 PM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen any dyno's showing gains of 5hp much less 10 hp for a flywheel or crank pulley. All I have seen are no gains or losses. Here someone who posted a recent dyno after a KJR Pulley install.
Most mods stayin N/A will not give much hp when by themself, but bolt on a few things and gain some 10-15hp.Now it is only a lighter pully so I would of and never expected much.But I felt a better response in power from the UD pully than my HF cats(most likely cause the pully starts out making the power and my *** can't feel the HF cats making power up top).Low E.T.'s are nice but I tend to watch the trap speed more.Dyno's are not the final answer to if a mod made power.From what I have heard from Stillen the 350Z will lose power when you run hotter coolant temps.So is the guy running the dyno letting the car cool to the exact coolant temps each time he visits to make some pulls?Just some food for thought.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:13 PM
GEE PASTA

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
You're thinking of the lightweight flywheel, not an engine pulley.
Sorry!! Im not thinking! I know, The pullies are just a joke on what they do to a VQ.bolt on a fluidamper and open the window for true hoursepower.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

this is what we got from just the addition of a UR Crank pulley on a car with NISMO Intake, NISMO Cams, NISMO Headers, High Flow Cats and NISMO Exhaust and then adding the crank pulley...

Old 11-21-2005, 09:18 PM
ReavTek

I'm not sure about HP gains but the pulleys made a HUGE difference in the response of the car. Exhaust and intake weren't nearly as noticable, makes me wanna pick up a flywheel soon also.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:26 PM
GEE PASTA

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
this is what we got from just the addition of a UR Crank pulley on a car with NISMO Intake, NISMO Cams, NISMO Headers, High Flow Cats and NISMO Exhaust and then adding the crank pulley...

Jason
Just one more of your BS posts. Come on buddy!! Tell how much power it makes, No f--king way, Your information is so bad. Sorry I forgot you sell parts for a living. I got a set of pullies i will sell you cheap. Put them on your car. Pasta
Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Jason
Just one more of your BS posts. Come on buddy!! Tell how much power it makes, No f--king way, Your information is so bad. Sorry I forgot you sell parts for a living. I got a set of pullies i will sell you cheap. Put them on your car. Pasta
Ok buddy...

That car was Jeff's Car... All that was done was raise the rev limiter with technosqure, they couldnt tune it because it was an 04 at the time and it made that power...

Do I have to get another stock Z and put the crank pulley on it so you see the power it makes?

Even if it made only a couple of horse power it actually makes horse power all the time...

As well as add's better engine response...
Old 11-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I have told many people about parts that do not make power for their car and recomend them not buying them... Even if they are ready to give me the money I tell them its not worth it...

I am probably one of the few people who will turn down a sale to keep from selling crap...

I am a car lover first before selling parts... I try to recomend the best parts to make the most power...

The UR pulley does make power across the full RPM range...

The 2 accessory pulley,s dont waste your money on those... they are only a few grams lighter then the stock pulley's and offer NO power gain...

The crank pulley makes power... Our race team was skeptical of them as well until they actually tested them... Now they are on all of the race motors they built...

want to race?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:44 PM
dxgary77

light weight pully will not add top end power. it does freeup hp at low end. i felt the car rev smoother after adding the pully. i used to felt that car was really heavy especially at lower rpm. after i got the pully i didn't wait to get my jwt flywheel. those two made my z feels much lighter. in fact, lightweight pully is not a good mod for drag. i will recommend it to those who go to track often.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

maybe when used with a 16lbs flywheel and clutch on the other end of the crank it magnifies the effect of the UR pulley...
Old 11-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Jason

I was going to get into it here, but I figure you are not worth the time.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:30 AM
thawk408

Isnt the KJR the same size diameter as stock just lighter weight and the UR is an actual underdrive pulley?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

that is correct.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:37 AM
thawk408

That is probably why the KJR doesnt do anything and the UR does.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:44 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

KJR should free up HP also, just not anything dramatic. There is a formula somehwere that explains that every pound saved on the crank pulley = HP increase (not sure of the number and do not want to quote incorrect info).
Old 11-22-2005, 06:53 AM
cvt

Originally Posted by thawk408
That is probably why the KJR doesnt do anything and the UR does.
really??? wow...i was about to buy a KJR too...

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley and Lightweight pullies not making a difference in performance?