Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Downshift Rev-Match in an 04??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:29 AM
thezedsled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona350Texas
i drive a 6MT and dont find it at all hard to shift drive with left hand... even when slightly gunning it, obviously not speedshifting of powershifting... so not at all hard to hold her hand. maybe u need to get back in a stick and learn howto shift lefthanded, which can also impress the girl sometimes, i seem to get that alot haha
If your hand is on the back of her head then the shifter is just a little reach right?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:04 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well rev limiter wont save an engine cause of a miss shift, so I can tell you thats not why toyota changed it.
I personally don't know for a fact why toyota did what they did, but what you provided is not a logical statement.

Obviously a rev limiter won't save an engine from a mis-shift. Although, if the rev-limiter is lowered from the engines true capability... when up-shifting at the lowered redline...if a mis-shift does occur it will be less likely to cause the engine to rev over its true capability.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:13 AM
kbiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota did what they did because of miss-shifts. People were able to easily downshift into second gear at high speeds. Toyota pulled the Celica GTS and they were unavailable for quite a while. The main thing they changed was adding a "Smart" shift gate that closed off that action. They lowered the RPM governor after the engineers re-analyzed everything and had pressure from upper management. The Reduced RPM limit really doesn't make sense with the gate, but from Toyota's point of view they went way over conservative because they lost a lot of money... I mean a lot and the 8400 RPM was very close to design limit. I used to work for Toyota when that all went down and there wasn't any way to justify denying warranty claims because you can't prove that someone downshifted into 2nd gear at 90MPH... but that's what they did. Everyone just said they were driving 60 on the freeway and bam! I never liked that car any way...

So you're talking about the new rev-matching auto then... the computerized "Blip" as Nissan calls it. I'd bet it's possible but you'd need to know what controls the shift patterns, etc. I'd bet it's the ecu and I’d also bet that it's not a complicated process. You could probably buy a new ecu or wait and find one from a wreck... the problem is you may never find out if that's really all there is to it. You'd have to get lucky and find a Nissan engineer. My gut feeling is that it's all the same just changing shift timing and throttle control... I don't think you'd find anyone that can reflash your comp for this because what they'd be doing is decoding something that no one is looking for... and to figure out what section of memory, etc the info is stored in. Much of the info stored in the ecu must be deciphered and very few know how or are willing to sift through it all... just the guys looking to tweak some engine instructions or the guys who crack odometer chips for milage roll back.

Last edited by kbiz; 12-07-2005 at 02:15 AM.