Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Downshift Rev-Match in an 04??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Driver Elite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshift Rev-Match in an 04??

Now hear me out on this before you go no-way.

I used to own an 01 Celitca GTS and one of the things that happened to them is that people couldn't shift correctly, and would end up blowing the engines due to narrow shift gates. Well Toyota tried to remedy the problem by taking the rev limiter from 8400 down to 7800 so the engine wouldn't over rev and blow.

As you could imagine, this cut down on 0-60 times and the whole bit so people created a procedure on replacing certain things and re-setting computers and what not in order to get the rev limiter back up to 8400.

I have an 04 auto and would like to know if there is a way to get the Rev-Match system into my 04, like is standard in the 05s+ . Is it as simple as getting a new CPU for the tranny or does the tranny have physical parts in it that the 04's just don't have?

Let's see what you guys got.
Thanks
Erik
Old 11-26-2005, 02:25 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rev match??? As in downshifting or???
Old 11-26-2005, 08:00 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go away
Old 11-27-2005, 12:17 AM
Driver Elite

Yes as in downshifting. If you were to test drive an 05 auto versus an 04 auto, they have implemented a computer controlled reving of the engine to make the transition of the downshift smoother. Unlike the 05, the 04 has a "braking effect" when it is shifted to a lower gear. Infiniti recognized this flaw in the tranny and added the rev match.

I'm guessing everyone here has 6mt so there won't be much help with this.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:10 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver Elite
Yes as in downshifting. If you were to test drive an 05 auto versus an 04 auto, they have implemented a computer controlled reving of the engine to make the transition of the downshift smoother. Unlike the 05, the 04 has a "braking effect" when it is shifted to a lower gear. Infiniti recognized this flaw in the tranny and added the rev match.

I'm guessing everyone here has 6mt so there won't be much help with this.
Yeah, sorry. I have a 6mt
Old 11-27-2005, 05:09 AM
Vamos_Rafael

why drive an auto ?
real sports car drivers want 3 pedals, a steering wheel, buckets seats and a shifter THATS IT... anything away from that perfected concept is considered unholy
Old 11-27-2005, 08:28 AM
ChicagoX

I'm sure all those Ferrari drivers think the same way too.

Why be a b1tch from Villanova?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:14 PM
thezedsled

Is there some force of nature that prevents you from accepting that not everyone wants to drive a manual? The guy is asking a very valid question here! Don't bash him just because he drives an auto.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:49 AM
NYC_G35C

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I'm sure all those Ferrari drivers think the same way too.

don't bash him because he went to Villanova, that's messed up... Go Wildcats

Last edited by NYC_G35C; 11-28-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:46 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well rev limiter wont save an engine cause of a miss shift, so I can tell you thats not why toyota changed it.

But to answer your question, no I dont think there is a way to get the rev match in the 04. I drove a 05 car with the rev match and it was not as cool as it was made out to be IMO. Better than nothing tho.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:06 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I know what you are referring to. In the manual mode the 2005 automatic transmission will bump the throttle a bit when you downshift. It will still lock you out of downshifting if the RPM is too high. Still the transition when downshifting is fairly smooth.

The expense of converting a 2004 to a 2005 automatic transmission, if possible, is most likely prohibitive.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:03 AM
hurahn

Some people have joint problems or injuries. Some people just like automatics. Manual days are numbered with all SMG, DSG type systems coming out too. Oh and I drive a manual myself.

Originally Posted by jvanquish
why drive an auto ?
real sports car drivers want 3 pedals, a steering wheel, buckets seats and a shifter THATS IT... anything away from that perfected concept is considered unholy
Old 11-30-2005, 05:32 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by hurahn
Some people have joint problems or injuries. Some people just like automatics. Manual days are numbered with all SMG, DSG type systems coming out too. Oh and I drive a manual myself.
im just a pain in the *** critic
dont mind my 2 cents if ur not gonna criticize with me
Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Driver Elite

Originally Posted by jvanquish
im just a pain in the *** critic
dont mind my 2 cents if ur not gonna criticize with me

Honestly, the only reason I got a auto was because I KNOW that I will drive much more aggresively if I purchased a manual. Trust me, I wanted the manual, and part of me regrets not getting it, but it was a personal, mature/last-resort decision I made because I can't control my driving when im in a stick. Everyday, I start driving faster and faster, reving higher and higher. Until.... I get a ticket, when I will have to sell my baby because I can't afford the insurance.

So in my own defense, don't bash me. I can hang with the best of them with sticks, I just chose not to.

Now, aside from hijacking my post, is it quite possible that you guys don't have any suggestions for this? The Rev-match might be something as simple as switching out the CPU that controls the auto tranny with one from an 05 or 06. Or it could be much more complicated like having a 05-06 tranny with accompanying CPU. I just throught that there might be some more interest and support with this.

Thanks anyway.
Erik
Old 12-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Gryphin

talk with the people that do the reflashes for the Z's they might have something for you, or possible check with www.SGPracing.com since they do alot of work with auto trannys for the z/g's

Oh, btw, autos are ok i guess. I got my first Standard with the Z and Im never going back! its just so much more interactive then auto's and i LOVE IT
Old 12-02-2005, 11:21 AM
mavtais

Might be cheaper to just get an 05 or 06 with a trade-in of your 04
Old 12-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Driver Elite

Originally Posted by mavtais
Might be cheaper to just get an 05 or 06 with a trade-in of your 04

True that. That's what I'm trying to determine. I was thinking that it might be a simple upgrade, but I will research the leads that Gryphin supplied.

Thank you.

And I do very much miss the stick shift. But I'm over speeding and racing in the back roads. If I were going to do that, I would have purchased the Z, but I decided I would rather cruz in luxury with a hand on my girl than speed like hell with my hand shifting then shooting over to hold on to my girl so she doesn't fly out the window.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:27 PM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
+1 b1tch and *****, post *****.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Daytona350Texas

Originally Posted by Driver Elite
True that. That's what I'm trying to determine. I was thinking that it might be a simple upgrade, but I will research the leads that Gryphin supplied.

Thank you.

And I do very much miss the stick shift. But I'm over speeding and racing in the back roads. If I were going to do that, I would have purchased the Z, but I decided I would rather cruz in luxury with a hand on my girl than speed like hell with my hand shifting then shooting over to hold on to my girl so she doesn't fly out the window.
i drive a 6MT and dont find it at all hard to shift drive with left hand... even when slightly gunning it, obviously not speedshifting of powershifting... so not at all hard to hold her hand. maybe u need to get back in a stick and learn howto shift lefthanded, which can also impress the girl sometimes, i seem to get that alot haha
Old 12-04-2005, 02:13 AM
illZ

Originally Posted by VandyZ
Well rev limiter wont save an engine cause of a miss shift, so I can tell you thats not why toyota changed it.
Actually, that is exactly why it was lowered.

Quick Reply: Downshift Rev-Match in an 04??