Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Ugh... I'm on my 3rd Tranny... This is ridiculous!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 06:44 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is almost impossible of getting into second gear. Hardly any grinds. Just a few times when I gassed to early before letting the clutch all the way up to catch point. I noticed that I managed to get it into second gear nicely at times though. I'm still trying to play around and figure out how to get that every time. Although, no luck yet. But I still have that feeling that it is defective.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:17 PM
KingOfV6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CVClearbra
This is the biggest reason why I am having trouble on deciding whether or not to buy a Z, my other two options are the S2K or BoxterS. Multiple tranny replacements is just plain poor, poor quality and it is a defective part period. Out of all the cars I have owned I have never had a major mechanical problem but then again I have always owned Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus products. I really like the car but I dunno. Sad

Brian
i have an 05 z with 8500 miles already and tranny shifts smooth like butter, i drive hard and agressive, meaning high rpm, and shift like im racing. I dont stress it in a bad manner likea abuse, now the tranny is still intact and feels strong if there is a time when i need to replace tranny i think i have a while to go until that time comes.

Last edited by KingOfV6; 12-08-2005 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:45 AM
chimmike

my 03 is great......but if you're just getting grinding, I'd suggest throwing in some better tranny fluid if you haven't already......it can make a world of difference like that.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:57 AM
esfand

i just got my third one last friday. hope this one lasts cuz my warranty is about to end.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:12 PM
homiusang

Guess my tranny is a good one, it's a bit notchy but nothing un-liveable...And my Z is one of the earliest to hit the US shores...
Old 12-09-2005, 02:14 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my 5th gear is starting to go. Grinds almost everytime when the car is cold, even though i dont drive hard at all while the car is cold. Once nice and warm though, I admit i do drive the car hard. I have dragged it a few times and auto-x'd a bunch of times this season. But it is unexcusable to say that I am abusing the tranny by doing that, especially when the car is designated by Nissan for track use. I've got 25k miles and my first tranny was replaced between 10k and 15k. I'm in a twisted way kind of happy. This way I can upgrade my clutch and flywheel without paying $400 in labor costs. I've regretted not replacing them ever since the last tranny was replaced.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:15 PM
atar350

I hit the clutch to the floor everytime I shift, even when powershifting, I notice that the only time I get a grind of any sort is if I am not shifting correctly. If I hit the floor with the clutch and shift right in the gate it goes in smooth...Only when I'm not paying attention or not pushing clutch in all the way is when I get little nothcy feelings.

Either way, after reading this thread I went driving, my tranny was gravy, smooth shifting everywhere, and I have made about 6 runs down the track powershifting, and about 5 street races powershifting. Am I just a lucky one with a good tranny, or do I not beat mine as hard as you guys getting 3 tranny's? (I think that ridiculous btw, 3 tranny's!)
Old 12-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hndumafia
Grinds almost everytime when the car is cold...
Exactly what I'm seeing. It started at about 31K miles.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:38 PM
papag1

ive had 2 replacements already. my first OEM started to grind at 30k miles after i got it and i didnt powershift, speedshift or any of that kind of stuff. i had it replaced b/c of 5th gear grinds. after i got it replaced 2k miles after slight grindings on cold days and when cold. as time went on it got worse and worse and would grind at ever shift, soft, slow and sometimes it would grind even if i would double clutched it.

not the way you drive, its just defective trannies. even on the new revised ones they are having problems obviously. have heard some complaints from 05 owners too but maybe they are just paranoid.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I, too, am perplexed in how it appears to affect some and not others. It seems either you don't have a problem, or your problem never ends.

I have put 12.5k on my 2005 in six months with no issues as far as I can tell. I didn't break it in per Nissan's spec, but close (didn't beat on it hard before 1000 miles). However, since after about 1000 miles, I have romped on it. I drive it generally in a mild manner, but occasionally I get on her. I have done three auto-crosses and no problems so far. No complaints to speak of.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:43 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering about that Lemon Law thing.

If somebody takes them to court and wins, what happens to the car?

Does the dealer buy it back, fix it AGAIN and turn around and sell it for high KBB on their lot, well seriously I mean sell it period?

If they don't they should be forced by law to report the vehicle to an agency like Carfax as a "lemon car" where the car can carry that badge of honor around for the rest of the vehicles lifespan.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Vash350Z

Originally Posted by Chad68
I was wondering about that Lemon Law thing.

If somebody takes them to court and wins, what happens to the car?

Does the dealer buy it back, fix it AGAIN and turn around and sell it for high KBB on their lot, well seriously I mean sell it period?

If they don't they should be forced by law to report the vehicle to an agency like Carfax as a "lemon car" where the car can carry that badge of honor around for the rest of the vehicles lifespan.

Usually Lemon cars are sent off to auction.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:41 AM
taurran

Nissan has always had a problem with transmissions. There were all sorts of problems with the trannies on the 300zx's as well. I haven't really had any problems with mine, other than the nice loud whine sound on the low end. I'm going to switch to royal purple fluids as soon as possible, which should help immensely.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:18 AM
atar350

The car isn't a lemon, wtf.....why is everyone so anxious to sue and get something for free...
Old 12-10-2005, 02:07 PM
kbiz

Lemon Law:

- The vehicle must be one that qualifies as a "new motor vehicle" as described above.

- The vehicle's problems must be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

- The problem(s) must occur within the first 18 months of delivery or 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

- The problem(s) must substantially reduce the use, value, or safety of the vehicle to the buyer.

- The problem(s) are not caused by abuse of the vehicle.

- The manufacturer has not fixed the problem(s) after four or more attempts or the vehicle's problem(s) could cause death or serious bodily injury if driven and the manufacturer or dealer has made at least two unsuccessful repairs attempts; or the vehicle has been in the shop for more than 30 days (not necessarily in a row) for repair of any problem(s) covered by its factory warranty and if the warranty or owner's manual requires you to do so, that you have notified the manufacturer about your problems. (Best done in writing.)

It varies depending on state laws and countries. Lemon law is not easy to peruse and it's not getting something for free. It's to protect consumers from having the types of cars that used to make it to market and from having to spend a huge amount of time without their cars, at dealerships, in rentals, etc. It's basically stating that when you buy a new car major mechanical issues are not to be expected... at least within the warranty period at minimum.

The cars usually go to auction which often results in being back on the market as a used car. Most dealerships buy a percentage of their used cars from auction. That's where lease returns go as well if the drop off dealership opts not to purchase the lease return at that time. Rental cars and fleet, etc. also make it to auction... these are usually not public auctions, BTW.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:18 PM
defnowtones

I'm on my second tranny now i've gone 15,000 miles on it and i drive the helloout of it. The first one gave out at 4,200 miles. This one is running just as good as the day i bought it.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Dave B

You guys with 05s reporting problems really don't qualify because your 05s have the 6th redesign/update of the 6MT. 6 updates? Yeah, even Nissan admits there's something wrong the with tranny.

The 6MT issues were 50% of the reason I passed on 6MTs 03/04 G35s. The other 50% was because I hated the way the 6MT drove. It was notchy, resistant, noisy, and had vibrations in the shifter and clutch. I dealt with those issues for 6 years in my Maxima and I wasn't willing to put up with that for another 6 years. If I got a Z, I guess I could deal with it because the roughness fits the character of the car. Not the G though.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM
jrofman

I believe this may be one of the problems they replace the tranny for.

Originally Posted by milanista
When I hear of 350Z owners with tranny problems, specially the ones that had the transmission replaced several time, I have to believe that the problem must be caused by driver in the way he/she launches/shifts the car. I have a 2004.5 ZR with a 6 speed, and the transmission shifts very smoothly. I can tell ,though, that the tranny does not like to be "hurried" into gear, as there is a slight binding of the gears/syncros, most noticeable going into 3rd. Some transmissions are not made to be speed-shifted and cannot take the abuse if you do, and the 350Z tranny seems to be one of those.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:21 PM
tonio

From someone thats been through 2 transmissions already.. rev matching does help with longevity.